• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic 36PD50 scanning modes

S

Si-Tec

Guest
Hi,
Just received one of the above and can't seem to get rid of digital picture artifacts produced by the 100Hz processing. The severity depends on the source material, but there is always something present no matter what. I've tried RGB and component inputs from DVD player and digi-box, 100Hz plus, 75Hz, progressive, and combinations of comb filter and noise reduction, but to little avail. Most pictures also have a slight halo effect, and no really clean edges either- I'm also putting this down to the 100Hz system.
Otherwise, the set has excellent colour, contrast, geometry and the potential for loads of clean detail...

So the simple question is, does the PD50 have an un-molested 50Hz interlaced mode? I'm sure it would cure all this sets ailments!!

Many thanks
Si
 

spocktra

Established Member
No it will not scan at true 50htz.I too was shocked by the failing of over processing on 100 htz technology.Your eyes should get used to it.Basically 50htz tvs simply dont show the artefacts, although still there,they cant match the definition of 100htz.
 
S

Si-Tec

Guest
Thanks for the confirmation- I guess the next best thing is to find a top of the stack digi-box with component out and use that. I was surprised at the hash the PD50 makes of some DVD's too (seems to be worse on R1 NTSC discs). I've never had any problems with artifacts on my 29" Sony 4:3 set, and even with a large CRT projector beeming onto a 5ft screen in my old house!

The 36PD50 was my second choice to the Sony 36HQ100, now discontinued...
 

spocktra

Established Member
Si-Tec said:
Thanks for the confirmation- I guess the next best thing is to find a top of the stack digi-box with component out and use that. I was surprised at the hash the PD50 makes of some DVD's too (seems to be worse on R1 NTSC discs). I've never had any problems with artifacts on my 29" Sony 4:3 set, and even with a large CRT projector beeming onto a 5ft screen in my old house!

The 36PD50 was my second choice to the Sony 36HQ100, now discontinued...
Now that suprises me.The pd range is usually stunning with dvd.
 

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Si-Tec,

If you do a search for "Acuity" in this section of the Forum, you'll find lots of information.

In particular, look for the entry of 16th May 2004 which includes my attempt at a layman's guide to the various Panny scan modes.

It was originally meant for the PD30 but applies to the PD50 as far as I'm aware.

Hope this helps. :)
 

BobBob21

Prominent Member
The 'problem' with the better TVs is that they will show off good sources even better but will highlight flaws on poorer quality source material.

I have the PD30 and with a good source (eg decent DVD by prog scan) the picture is outstanding but if I play some of my old or 'cult' DVDs look on the surface worse - noise, artifacts etc but if you look beyond that the picture is actually better.
 

spocktra

Established Member
Think of the panny as a top end amplifier.Adds nothing to the source just makes it louder.The pd30/50 is just the same.Tremendous detailing and contrast but the feed has to be good.
 
S

Si-Tec

Guest
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to knock up some component leads out of some super high quality cable I used for the projector set up. Hopefully that will extract the best from my DVD player. Got the RGB feed from the digibox (Nokia) looking pretty good too. There are still some artifacts if you look closely, but it still looks fine considering the screen size. Geometry and colour tweaks in the service menu have upped the overall picture quality too!

PS Got that buzzing from the back of the tube too- noticed it today after reading all the threads last night! Only noticeable with the volume almost off, so not really an issue.

cheers
Si
 

spocktra

Established Member
Si-Tec said:
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to knock up some component leads out of some super high quality cable I used for the projector set up. Hopefully that will extract the best from my DVD player. Got the RGB feed from the digibox (Nokia) looking pretty good too. There are still some artifacts if you look closely, but it still looks fine considering the screen size. Geometry and colour tweaks in the service menu have upped the overall picture quality too!

PS Got that buzzing from the back of the tube too- noticed it today after reading all the threads last night! Only noticeable with the volume almost off, so not really an issue.

cheers
Si
Isnt it suprising what you can hear or see if you look hard enough.? :)
 

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
spocktra said:
Isnt it surprising what you can hear or see if you look hard enough.? :)

I call it "Forumitis". :D

Having read all the problems with the PD30, I've found I'm a bundle of nerves every time I switch it on now. :rolleyes:

Mrs TG has it too, so it seems to be contagious. ;)
 

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom