1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 36" TXPL30 - Sound problems

Discussion in 'TVs' started by MZSteve, May 22, 2003.

Tags:
  1. MZSteve

MZSteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody offer me any help or advise - recently purchased the above TV off the net and at low volumes the sound is not great. It has a background noise which is a cross between a hiss and a crackle - almost like a vinyl record used to be. This bothers me but I dont know whether it is a case of "within tolerance" type thing - has anyone else experienced this?

I didnt get too stressed about the problem as I was in the process of purchasing a Sony Dav 550 Home Theatre so I planned to put all sound through this. However, I have found this also has a slightly annoying noise at low volumes - this time the cooling fan which although quiet is distinctly audible at the lower volumes. I'm starting to think it's just me - is it? Otherwise I am delighted with both products and I do realise that neither are particularly designed to be played quiety but it has left me feeling abit disappointed. Before anyone says just pump it up - it's tricky with two young uns and a light sleeping Missus!

Very grateful for any comment.

Cheers:smashin:

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you say "low volumes" for the TV, do you have to put your ear to the speaker to hear this? Or is it clearly audible from viewing distance? If the latter, that doesn't sound right at all.

Regarding the DAV, I've no experience with DAVs, but if there is a fan then you have to expect it to make a little bit of noise, although it would drive me nuts if I could hear it during viewing.

3. MZSteve

MZSteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply oh squirrel one! Putting your ear to the speaker does allow you to hear the interference very clearly but yes you can hear it at viewing distance if you tune into it - especially when there is pauses in broadcast sound from the tv.
    as for the DAV - yup it does irritate me as again once you are tuned in you can hear it in every (usually dramatic) silent section in a movie. What do you reckon?

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In both cases, does this only happen when viewing broadcast TV? Or does it happen with DVD too?

5. MZSteve

MZSteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for delay (watching footy) In both cases it is both - the fan is on in the DVD all the time and the television emits the hiss sound all the time if the volume is up at all. Interestingly the hiss stays exactly the same volume whatever the tv volume is set at so at higher volumes it only becomes inaudble due to the higher masking general volume and it disappears the moment the volume bar reduces to zero (ie the sound is muted)

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You do get a little background hiss from speakers, but this shouldn't really be audible from viewing distance. I thought that maybe it was just the broadcast TV signal being a bit cack, but if it's happening via DVD as well, then clearly not. If you only get the 'crackle' that you mentioned in your first post with broadcast TV signals, then it is no doubt down to the reception. Presumably you've checked all cables to make sure there's nothing loose? Have you tried different cables? The ones you're using might have poor shielding.