1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 32PK20/curved picture? problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Ewok, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my PK20. First I noticed the picture was not straight, the right hand side was a lot higher than left, I fixed this easily enough.

But the problem is when viewing things with bars top and bottom, i.e. a 2.85:1 film for example, the top of the picture is dead straight but the bottom curves upwards slightly, like an upside down U shape but obviously not THAT much.

Is it normal for the top to be dead straight but the bottom to curve slightly on these TV's when watching stuff where it doesnt fill the entire screen? It's fine when there are NO black bars but most of the time there will be on my DVD's so I need to know if theres something wrong with the TV or not.

2. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the same problem with my tosh . i can't even sort the tilt though . there is no tilt control on the tv :(

3. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm I dont know if it's common to have this or whether I should tell them I want another one.

Mine was a bit lop sided too but the tilt control fixed that problem.

Need to find out if this curved bottom is normal, because I thought it would be completely square even when theres black bars top and bottom, instead just the top is flat and the bottom is kinda banana shaped although not as curved as a banana.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you find an answer i'd like to know. I was helping my m8 set up his Sony 28kv60 last night-same problem!!

5. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also noticed that up the left and right edges of the screen when watching something in widescreen there is some sort of criss cross pattern , just on the left and right sides. This might also be normal on a widescreen tv I dont know.

One more thing I noticed was that when watching a 2.35:1 film with the black bars that show up the curve at the bottom of the picture, I noticed that the black bar at the top of the picture was a lot smaller than the black bar at the bottom, is this normal too?

6. Italo Tettoni

Italo Tettoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunately horizontal distortion of the image is not 'fixable' using service mode on any TV, it points to a distortion in the tube itself. Strongly suggest you get a replacement and test it first!

Better yet test out the Philips 32PW8806 its a newer model than the Panasonic 32PF10 and far superior in terms of its performance.

Italo

7. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a panasonic 32PK20 not a PF10

I'll find out about getting a replacement then, I managed to get into the service menu but as I thought I dont think any of the options will help.

Not very impressed with the image quality either for a tv which has been raved about in what hifi and on here for its picture quality. Maybe its just a dud tv alltogether? It had taken a few bashes in the box I know that

8. Italo Tettoni

Italo Tettoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I stand corrected, should not have been answering posts late at night!

Yes I must admit I held out buying the 16:9 Philips until I saw the new Panasonic range, since my last TV was a Panasonic (one of their first 4:3 flat screen models which was trerrific in all departments) but was severely disappointed. I found the image looked heavily 'processed' and even after switching off all the digital processing it looked 'grey' all over, no clean colour shades at all.

The only other TV that matched the Philips in terms of image quality was the Metz, beautiful colour reproduction, but not at twice the Philips price so my choice was easy. Best of luck with the new set.

Italo

9. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to get it replaced with a sony wega KV32FX65 instead.

the picture on the panasonic was just very grainy looking, like you could see the pixels all over it.

The colour was very nice but im not having a picture that looks grainy as hell like that. And that was using dvd's, but it was the same on tv too.

I am hoping the sony wega is better

10. heinanr

heinanr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought Panasonic 32PF10 some 18 months ago. It has been broken twice so far (same problem). The whole picture goes green usually after hour or so when using it (seems like the red colour is missing). I think it could be caused by tube getting magnetised (maybe??) and disturbing colour distribution. Does anyone have any idea how to fix it permanently? They refuse to give new set... And still cannot fix it properly.