1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 32PG50

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nickg1, Feb 22, 2002.

1. nickg1

nickg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this set now for a few weeks and am generally v happy with it.
    However, when watching football/rugby/ other sport with lots of green background there is a noticeable dark vertical band on either side of the screen.
    Has anyone else had this problem with this TV ?
    If so is it something that an engineer can fix, or should I ask for a replacement/refund - the tv was bought from HoF but I know that its a discontinued model.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had 3 of these sets before getting a refund, but it wasn't for that reason although I did get the problem. All the TVs seem to have this effect even my new set the TX32PB50 albeit slighty less evident. As it is only noticeable on screens of the same colour, I can live with it and compared to the other problems I have encountered, all of which are on this site somewhere, it isn't worth bothering about.

Hope this helps.

Neil

3. amuse

amuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same issue with a 32 pk25, I have had 3 models with different faults.
    The current machine has the bands which appear down the sides as dirty marks, and when showing a high contast background they go Blueish.
    Iam currnetly considering my options, but having spent some time in the Panasonic shop all the 32" tubes appear to suffer the same problem, although the 50hz models do seem to be alot better don't know why, can anyone help with that?

Try looking at the tube when it is off, from a normal viewing distance you will see darker patches at the screen edge.

So far not very pleased with Panasonic and would not recommend a 32" to anyone!

4. nickg1

nickg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. When the set is off one can clearly see the darker areas.

However, from the 2 replies recvd so far the problem is, as I suspected, an inherent fault rather than something specific to the set that I have.
    Something that must be lived with I suppose, although I do watch a lot of sport.
    The thing is that when watching virtually everything else the picture is great - especially dvds.

I am going to stick with it for the time being - I have a free 5 yr warranty to fall back on, and if I were to do anything I would probably get a plasma instead. I would think that HoF would not be too bothered about me exchanging the panny for something costing at least twice as much.

Any other views out there ?

5. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've mentioned this on the previous thread, but it seems most of the new Panny's dont perform too great compared to the models they have superceded.
    The last one I read with rave reviews was the TX -PF range. and nothing since. Impressed so much I bough the TX-36PF10

6. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the panny tubes are designed like that. ie. when there off you can see the edge of the screen is darker. The dark bands down the side is a normal feature of the wide pannys. I have a RP Panny and it to has the bands although it is not as noticable. if i were you I would just stick to the tv you have and live with the bands. Other tvs have far worse problems than this.

7. PRICEY

PRICEY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same problem with my tx36pb50.Darkish bands on edges,but if you look closer,the whole screen seems to be 'dirty'.The bands show up more at the edges because right at the edges the screen is 'clean'.As with all these things,once you notice it,it draws yor eyes.I take comfort though that the wife did not notice anything and she can see clothes down in the sales from a 6 mile distance ;)