Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic 32PD30 question...

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by cerebros, Sep 30, 2003.

Tags:
  1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Sorry to start another PD30 thread, but I've got a couple of questions, one of which I've not seen an answer to in any of the other PD30 threads (although it's possible I've missed it considering the sheer number of posts...).

OK, the one I don't think I've seen anywhere is:

Does the "Video" SCART socket (SCART 4?) support S-Video? I've seen the back of the 36" version, and IIRC under the other 3 SCART's it says what the main input type is, but SCART 4 just says "Video".

Now for the others:

1) The "black crushing" effect - am I right that this occurs only when the incoming signal is RGB?

2) Can you directly select an AV input from the remote, or do you have to cycle through each in turn?

3) Do you have to select the different processing modes via the set's menu each time, or is there a button on the remote to switch between the two?

4) Can geometry problems (if your PD30 has them) be fixed through the service menu, or are you stuck with them - or perhaps I should say, has anyone had extremely severe geometry problems they couldn't fix?

5) Am I right in recalling that when used with certain PAL Progressive capable DVD players, a vertical white bar appears on one side of the screen?

6) Does the Progressive mode only work for incoming progressive signals, or does the set do it's own deinterlacing if it's receiving an interlaced signal and is set to progressive mode?

Am hoping to finally have the funds to get a new TV at the end of this year and had seriously been considering the PD30 instead of a Loewe due to PAL Prog scan and plentiful inputs, but I'm beginning to have doubts now....

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Oh, and:
    7) What's the geometry like when viewing 4:3 material in 4:3 mode? (i.e. do we have nice straight vertical lines at the pictures edge?)

3. Turisu

Turisu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay here goes:

1) Both RGB and component signals have been reported as causing black crushing on some sets.

2) Once you're on an AV input you can select another just by pressing the coloured fastext buttons.

3) You have to do this in the menu.

4) Some can and some can't. As with most TVs I've seen, the service menu options only alter the vertical geometry. So it all depends on the individual problem.

5) I've noticed what I presume to be this light bar whenever I watch anything NTSC. It's on the right-hand side of the screen and is most noticeable on a very dark picture. I did discover that adjusting the H-POS and H-AMP of the screen alters the thickness and brightness of the bar, and I've now compensated to the point where I don't see it anymore.

6) The set seems to use a kind of virtual-progressive scan for np NTSC signals. And the 75Hz/833i option produces a similar effect for np PAL signals.

7) On my set I had to tweak for a while to get the edges to appear as straight as possible (still not perfect though). It wasn't that bad when I got it but I'm just picky.

Hope that's helpful.

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    cheers, good info

5. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    On a screen of this size, unlike a 42 inch plasma, prog scan is not as important. Bar the occasional bit of interlaced line twitter, and sat at the recommended distance of about 8ft i doubt you would notice much of a difference. Sat a couple of foot away you would defo see less jaggies etc but hopefully you don't sit this close. PAL prog scan is even less of an improvement compared to NTSC prog. All i am saying is don't dismiss the Loewe sets. Sat at my regular distance i would take my interlaced Loewe over my old NTSC prog scan Tosh any day of the week. And that's ignoring the buzzing, impurities and poor geometry that the Tosh had.

6. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I'll have to disagree. Last year I did have a Toshiba 28ZD26P briefly (returned due to 3 sets all having annoying buzzing noise)which had it's own deinterlacing mode which noticably improved picture quality by reducing visible scan lines on NTSC & PAL sources even when viewing from about 8 feet away.

I do plan to try and audition the sets before buying, only problem being that the only place where I can get either a PD30 or Loewe Aconda/Mimo etc from locally is House of Fraser who aren't exactly price competitive with the web (or other store based retailers come to that)

7. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my PD30 from HOF and (assuming I keep it) will do a BarclayCard Price Promise within the allowed 60 days :smashin:

8. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Will they not quibble over the warranty period being different? I believe i saw a sign saying HoF do 5 years warranty. Barclaycard may argue that the same set with a different warranty bought elsewhere does not qualify as exactly the same product...

9. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The warranty is a FREE gift from HOF when you buy any large screen TV. I have not paid for it; and it's not part of a package, so is not included in the price.

Anyway, even if Barclaycard charge me for an equivalent warranty I'll still be saving around £400 - and getting HOF CS thrown in for free :)

Anyway, if you don't fancy Barclaycard, why not try for the HOF price match? I believe they will match against www.tvandvideodirect.com - who do have a high street store somewhere.

The reason I didn't do this was that tvandvideodirect don't stock the PD30 :(