Panasonic 32LXD52 vs CRT - Quality?

BigJohnson

Standard Member
Ok, so I've bought a Panny 32LXD52, set it up and sat back in dissapointment.

Let's get this into context, I'm dissapointed with the quality of Sky. I've replaced my "old" Panasonic 28" (TX28DK2) widescreen, which provided me with an excellent image from all sources. I'm actually considering hooking back up my TV aerial to receive Freeview to check!

Now some £1500 lighter (with cinema surround & glass stand), with the latest technology in place, i'm gutted. DVD playback via component is excellent, Xbox via RGB scart is also equally good, but TV via Sky is a let down. How can there be so much difference between a CRT and the very latest LCD technology?

Certain channels are worse than others. Image quality is noticeably fuzzy, nowhere near as sharp as my trusty CRT, some moving images trail etc.

I actually got sick of it and went upstairs and watched the box on another CRT via a table top antenna - and that was better!

I've read various comments regarding Sky's compression of the video stream, but I really can't grasp how the quality can be so different.

For sale - Panasonic 32LXD52, less than 24hrs use.

unstirling

Standard Member
I have discovered the same thing. I got my sharp at the weekend and while sky sports is really good all the movie channels are crap. It looks like the main characters are different from the backgrounds. Don't think mine is as bad as yours though.

I've been messing around with the settings and have a slightly better picture but
its still not that great.

I suppose its the problem with a tv too good for the signal being put into it. Roll on HD.

davidac

I think the LXD52 has an adjustable MPEG filter from what I remember of the pdf manual. I guess setting it to off will give you a crisp but mpeg noisy picture while the highest setting will give a less detailed less mpeg noisy picture. I have not got this LCD myself, I was looking at the manual because I was considering buying it, so I have not tried it. If it improves it let me know as most of my viewing would be freeview.

hamster

Try turning down the sharpness or equivalent setting. It's probably identifying all the edges of the MPEG blocks as picture detail.

LCDs are a lot less kindly that CRTs, and usually seem to need a lot of tweaking to get something acceptable. I had a Philips 32PF9956 for a while which was fantastic on DVD but overprocessed analogue - turning pixel plus off helped in that case. On the Philips you could select which was a digital source which helped a great deal.

Also, check your Sky feed is proper RGB and not CVBS. It might just be a directional SCART lead or a non-RGB SCART on the Panasonic.

BigJohnson

Standard Member
I've got the sharpness turned down, and the MPEG NR off also, the latter seems to make no difference. I have actually ordered another scart lead just to see if there is any difference there, we'll see. I do have the Sky box set to RGB and SCART control ON.

Hey ho - you live & learn.

FunkySideBurns

I just got my Panasonic 32LXD500 on monday and have seen the same things. CRT is a better picture full stop with SD, its a fact of life. But ive got my LCD for the future, Xbox 360 and Sky HD. so i can live with the poor picture on some channels for now.
To me it looks like Channel 5 has the best picture followed by the main channels 1 3 and sky. My DVD play back is great so is Xbox. Overall im happy with my LCD as i know it'll get better in the near future.

BigJohnson

Standard Member
Ok, but let's look at this. Sky will launch HD next year as part of their Sky+ package, so that's going to be £50+ per month. By the time HD is main stream, we're probably talking 2008, 2009, by which time these LCD's will be obsolete.

I'd go as far as to say that they (LCD's / plasma's TV), aren't fit for purpose!

GazH

Am I still right thinking that Freeview quality through these sets (52 and 500) is good....as in a lot better than Sky?????

I seem to think the thread on the tx32lxd500 suggesting that the Freeview pic was good.......

I know we are discussing Sky on this thread but I was just curious.....

Cheers

Gaz

tugboatbill

Standard Member
BigJohnson - I feel for you because you are one who has taken the plunge and made a purchase, something that many of us who visit this forum have yet to do - and it is refreshing to get such an honest viewpoint, and that of "unstirling" also. This only underlines my position on these technologies further, we are all being duped into buying technology that is not even ready yet, jeez just check how many Plasma and LCD model revisions the manufacturers have made in 12 short months.

Almost a year ago I was on the verge of purchasing the best thing since sliced bread, a brand new model, the 42" Panasonic Viera complete with stand, all the press were raving about it everyone thought it was great but I thought that if I held off three months the price might be come down a bit from the £2,500 it was being touted at. Three months later I went into the shop to buy and there sitting alongside it was it's HD replacement - the TV I wanted was already being replaced??? Nobody had mentioned this anywhere and even worse I could have shelled out £2,500 for a set that really was not as future proof as it was made out to be. We are being conned and in doing so we are keeping these companies going until they sort out a TV that does what it says on the tin. I know all the arguments about waiting forever etc. but I think this is slightly different, we - the consumers - are being treated like guinea pigs.

Only recently I read on one of these posts that you can't watch LCD's in the dark???? Well I am sorry, but if I got one home and couldn't watch it in the dark I would be well p****d off, now I know why Philips have put a light behind some of their TV's

I keep reading all of the forums here hoping for that elusive product that really can replace an old TV but I am seriously considering getting a CRT as a stopgap until this situation is sorted out.

Thank you once again for a real insight into problems that many people who buy these TV's will encounter.

RyanK

The TX32LXD52 has an automatic backlight which adjusts itself according to the amount of light in your room. I have watched this TV in the dark and have not noticed any problems.

I agree that a poor SD picture will look crap on a LCD compared to CRT. However like many other people i have purchased this for the future. As soon as Sky launches HD I will buy it, i may even shell out for XBOX 360 ,also DVD via Component is awsome on this TV. And to be honest SKY+ via RGB scart isn`t that bad. If you watch the main channels then no problems. Channels like the shopping channels, endless quiz channels etc that use REALLY low bitrates are the ones to avoid.

J

Jonti

After moving from a 28" CRT to a Panny TX32LXD52, there's no way I'd be going back. The PQ is superb, FAR better than my old CRT. Then again, I do have good signals for both Sky+ and DTV, so maybe that makes a big difference?

Also, it's always worth investing in some decent cables - and make sure you using RGB Scart from your Sky box, and Component from your other AV devices (if applicable). Good cables needn't cost a fortune if you avoid the usual rip-off chains on the High St. I went to houndcables.co.uk and got some decent leads at an excellent price.

ajeffries

Standard Member
GazH said:
Am I still right thinking that Freeview quality through these sets (52 and 500) is good....as in a lot better than Sky?????

I seem to think the thread on the tx32lxd500 suggesting that the Freeview pic was good.......

I know we are discussing Sky on this thread but I was just curious.....

Cheers

Gaz
Freeview seems pretty good on TX32LXD500 (even without Picture noise reduction or MPEG noise reduction switched on). I also saw a TX32LXD52 next to a 500 in a store and unfortunately the 52 seems to have a bit more noise to the freeview picture.

BigJohnson

Standard Member
I too watch my LXD52 in the dark withour problems. Jut watched channel 5 tonight and the picture was fine. I'm definately going to get my aerial set back up and check out freeview via the panny.

I like technology, the latest computers, mp3 players etc but I agree with tugboatbill - the consumer is the guinea pig for this (LCD/plasma) technology.

Ask your self this question, would you buy a car now, that gave you 20mpg with the promise of 50mpg at sometime in the future, but on the basis that the fuel is going to cost you twice the price????

Who are the dumbies here? I'd like to consider myself to be an intelligent person, someone able to make rational decisions - but i've definately been sucked into this LCD TV lark. My advise to anyone wanting to buy into LCD TV :

1. TV Image quality will NOT be as good as CRT
2. HD TV, when it does arrive will cost you more.
3. They are great for gaming or DVD given suitable connections.
4. Given 12-18 months, equipment prices will halve.

Only had this TV a week, but given this week over again, I wouldn't have jumped in with both feet & blind folded!

Jowl

I'm a newbie to this forrum but I have similar disspointment with my new LCD (viewsonic n3000w) screen.

I've already e-mailed to arrange a return from where I bought it and it was only delivered yesterday.

very disappointed with the quality of picture - to be honest, some it it is probably due to the inputs rather then the TV itself. I have a freeview box and scart-connected DVD.

Connected a computer and the image is excellent. But i wanted a TV for general viewing, not a 30" TV monitor.

Maybe CRT is 'old tech' but it seems more suited to our current world. I'm sure things will change when DVI and HDTV is mor 'mainstream'

tjradiohead

BigJohnson said:
Ok, but let's look at this. Sky will launch HD next year as part of their Sky+ package, so that's going to be £50+ per month. By the time HD is main stream, we're probably talking 2008, 2009, by which time these LCD's will be obsolete.

I'd go as far as to say that they (LCD's / plasma's TV), aren't fit for purpose!
Im afraid this isnt the case with Plasma's, well certainly not mine.

I have a PHD8, although i would agree with you that it looks awful on some plasmas, in my experience, phillips and samsungs.

Sky looks great on my panny :thumbsup:

C

Chanes

I know exactly what you mean about the disappointment with the picture! My old 28" JVC CRT looks better with the aerial and FV feed. BUT - The LCD thrashes it when used with the HDMI lead from my DVD - I watch a lot of DVDs. My LCD is HD ready and I intend to adopt this when it is available. Also, and this may be that I am just getting used to it, the picture seems to improve the longer the set is in use? It seems weird but I could swear that over the period of time since I've had the LCD it actually gets better each time I watch it? The fact that I live in a poor reception area doesn't help either. LCDs are only as good as the feed and don't tolerate bad feeds as well as CRTs.

PhilipL

Hi

Let's get this into context, I'm dissapointed with the quality of Sky. I've replaced my "old" Panasonic 28" (TX28DK2) widescreen, which provided me with an excellent image from all sources. I'm actually considering hooking back up my TV aerial to receive Freeview to check!
Sorry to hear you are disappointed with your new LCD, however some things to remember. Firstly you have gone to a bigger screen, that in itself will reveal more nasties with your reception or blocking on compressed digital sources regardless of it being CRT/Plasma or LCD and also will make the picture appear less sharp than the smaller CRT screen, at least until we get HD. I found a similar reduction in quality going from a 21" CRT to a 29" CRT a few years back, with the larger set showing the horizontal scanning lines and appearing less sharp, but that is a trade off to having a larger screen with current standard definition and each step up in size looks worse, you just have to sit further back :)

Also you have moved from an interlaced display to a progressive display, and again the limitations of standard interlaced TV is more visible when that is shown on a progressive LCD panel. The same thing can be seen on a 100Hz CRT TV.

I would also make sure you have turned off the “Dynamic” picture settings (you will need to make the change for each input type), try setting it to Auto as that will adjust the brightness to a reasonable level for the light in the room. I found turning contrast down by several notches and brightness by several notices gave a much better picture. The MPEG filter will reduce blocking but will blur anything that moves, try it and see.

I expected normal TV to be worse quality on my larger LCD just because it was a bigger screen, however have been quite impressed and would say it was better than the 29” CRT TV. DVD playback is absolutely stunning.

Regards

Phil

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
All I can say that the PQ on my PannyLXD500 - via Sky - is very very good and is better than my old Panasonic TX32PD30 CRT set (which was one of, if not, the best CRT you could buy). I certainly agree with turning "Dynamic" off, and also putting sharpness right down to nearly nil. I originally used a good Profigold scart but recently swapped this to a QED Performance Scart - see QED SCART. Only cost £28 online and the PQ went from very good to very very good with images being crisper and more detailed. The depth of blacks on some channels is amazing - almost as good as DVD thro' HDMI; I particularly notice this when watching "Lost" on E4. Chose this scart as it is directional RGB only; audio goes thro' optical cable to separate amp.

Would I go back to CRT??? Not at all. PQ can be very good but so can PQ on LCD or plasma. You lose the bulk and are ready for the glory that will be SKYHD. Geometery is also superb on LCD. On CRT, on some channels, the picture sometimes just didn't seem to fill the screen completely, albeit by a couple of mms or so. Also, remember that wavy line effect at the sides that you can get on CRT - especially when playing PS2 - that is now gone. LCD is straight as a die and fills the screen without the need to resorting to a "zoom" aspect on the TV.

I'm surprised to hear that people are disappointed with the LX52 lcd as "allegedly" it is the same screen as the LXD500 but without the extra gimmicks. All I can suggest is fiddle with the settings and get the above scart.

G

graviton

Beginning to think like tugboat etc. Why should I spend £1500 on an LCD now when there is negligible HD content ?

Buy another CRT for £300 and lump it and then in 12-18 months LCDs will be both cheaper and better. It took 60 years to take the CRT to it limit. The way its going and some of the press reports indicate - response times will improve - contrast ratios will go up by a factor of 10 or more - resolutions will head for 1050 lines - DisplayPort may come in.

Also for HD to take off in the mass market they will have to deliver it at an affordable price for Mr Average - that means HD sets must fall into at least the £500-£800 price level.

Call me scrooge but it seems like the prudent logic.

Go early adopters go, live life on the bleeding edge and drive that market down for me ! :devil:

billybug

Standard Member
I had decided it was time to upgrade my CRT tv for a a new LCD panel (most probably either of the two "famous" panasonics 500 or 52).
However after reading this I am now totally unsure as to whether I will be spending £1500 to get a worse picture than I already get from my CRT.
Could somebody please answer the following for me.
Until sky HD comes out i will mainly be watching (in order):
1st) Terrestrial TV (BBC1 2, ITV C4 and C5) - will these pictures be better or worse?
2nd) The built in freeview on the panasonic - will this be better or worse than the freeview from my CRT and set top box
3rd) DVDs - i am assuming these at least will be better?

Please help!

davidac

billybug I think you have to judge for yourself. CRT to me seems better with standard def than any LCD, after all it was designed for it.

Most LCD's now seem to be designed for PC use with support for TV. They use WXGA PC resolution (1366 x 768) so are not even optimised for hi def TV when it does arrive (720 line or 1080 line)! I suspect this is so they can show hi def played by multimedia PC's and look their best. When hi def TV (as apposed to PC video clips) is available they might start optimising them for hi def TV instead of PC's.

If I had the room I would not be looking at LCD's until hidef TV arrives, but everyone sees things differently.

F

filopastry25

The problem with CRT now of course is that high end sets are disappearing fast as manufacturers are purely using it for their budget ranges and focussing their efforts on pushing LCDs out the door.

hamster

Very true, setmakers are ripping cost out of everything in CRT sets - they have to for survival. Most are made by Vestel or Beko in Turkey anyway.

LCD and PDP is still a fast-developing technology.

You pays your money and takes your pick. I'm just hoping that my 5 year old 100Hz CRT doesn't blow up just yet. But if it did I'd buy an LCD, as much as anything else because it's a flat TV.

G

gsagos

hamster said:
I'm just hoping that my 5 year old 100Hz CRT doesn't blow up just yet. But if it did I'd buy an LCD, as much as anything else because it's a flat TV.
Which means that plasma displays are not flat:eek:

Taz69

BigJohnson said:

Now some £1500 lighter (with cinema surround & glass stand), with the latest technology in place, i'm gutted. DVD playback via component is excellent, Xbox via RGB scart is also equally good, but TV via Sky is a let down. How can there be so much difference between a CRT and the very latest LCD technology?

Certain channels are worse than others. Image quality is noticeably fuzzy, nowhere near as sharp as my trusty CRT, some moving images trail etc.

I actually got sick of it and went upstairs and watched the box on another CRT via a table top antenna - and that was better!

I've read various comments regarding Sky's compression of the video stream, but I really can't grasp how the quality can be so different.

For sale - Panasonic 32LXD52, less than 24hrs use.

First things first, take it off of DYNAMIC, put it on Normal, lower the contrast down to about 45% as with the Brightness too, lower the sharpness down to 25%, then adjust the mpg filters to your preference, some like them on, others like em off. PLay about with the contrast when you are sat back in the correct lighting etc to your preference.

I set these things up all day aswell as Custom Installs on Panny Plasmas etc and First thing I do is take it off Dynamic, these settings here are what I feel provide a good picture, remember thou you have to change to Normal on each input, e.g AV1 etc.

Taz

pixelated

A couple of things to remember... Plasma will give the impression it's better with Sky than LCD. The main reason for that is the resolution. Plasma generally has a lower res than LCD (50 inch Plasmas can share the same res a 23 or 26 inch LCD) which means there's much less scaling to be done. Plasma is simply more forgiving than LCD is on poorer channels.

There are plenty of reasons to buy an LCD now;

1.It can look pretty good with offair signals, and very good with high bitrate Sky channels
2.It looks brilliant with DVDs
3.Many are HD Ready
4.Starting to get around the 40 inch mark which will be great for HD/DVD.

OK, so as it stands the technology isn't perfect, but neither is the source. So it's not 100% the TV's fault if you overall aren't happy with the picture. However that's little consolation when you've just spent £1500 to see a good picture... it'll be worth it soon enough. The picture you get from your LCD via Sky etc shouldn't necessarily be abysmal - but you should allow it to be less pristine than your old CRT.

Clueless1

Standard Member
I've had the Panasonic TX32LXD52 for about a month now and I have to say how impressed I am with it. I have it connedted to a Samsung HD dvd player and the picture is unreal! Even with Standard definition the colour is awesome! Now I actually feel like i'm in the woolpack at 19:00! I did have a dable with setting up using the Digital Video Essentials DVD which may have improved things slightly over standard setup.

These people who reckon it isn't as good as there CRT - I do wonder what CRT they had??? I am no video-phile but for me I couldn't have hoped for anything more from this Panasonic. I have gone from an old Matsui CRT (fair enough it was rubbish!) and use the panasonic to watch the odd soap through the week and maybe a movie or two on a weekend.

Sometimes I think it is good to get a balanced well rounded opinion on these things before you buy. People on here seem to be able to pick faults with anything, and I don't mean that in a bad way, just that you'd never buy anything - Ever, if you listened to all of them.

Hope my little review helps:D

stuart_haydn

Something I've noticed about the TX32LXD500 as opposed to every other 32 inch LCD, but I've never seen any magazine or website mention...

...it's got a smaller screen ?

I took a tape measure to Comet and measured the diaganal of most lcd screens. The 32 inch screens were all 31.5 (including the TX32LXD52) but the TX32LXD500 was 31. This difference was also in the TX26LXD500 which was less than 26 inches, but every other 26 screen was exactly 26 inches.

How do manufacturers get away with such inaccuracies?

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CTA launches 8K UHD TV display certification programme