1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 32LXD500-Best settings?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by stridley, Oct 8, 2005.

1. stridley

stridley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Sitting here watching my recently purchased (2 weeks) LXD500 and overall am really impressed :thumbsup: There are obviously a number of owners of this set now and I'm interested in what you guys are finding to be the best Picture settings.

I know that to a certain extent it's personal taste and I've played around with the settings from Dynamic to Auto etc as well as brightness and contrast but feel I'm just not getting the right balance of options.

I'd be interested to know what others have set their Pannys to as I'd like to get the best out of this fantastic set

2. stridley

stridley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    anyone? :)

3. daz1976

daz1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Pretty interested myself also on what settings others are using to get best blacks etc. So far for me I find dynamic gives me the deepest black pallette to work with but then it boosts whites a little too much so still playing. Tried DVE but must admit find explanations on how to use the charts a little confusing and find it geared a little towards CRT setup too much.

Daz

4. Madshark

Madshark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got mine this weekend and it is fantastic, but you already know that by now ;)

Dynamic is good but the high contrast can make it look ... well ... too high contrasty to my eye. Manually turning the contrast down a bit helped. I actually like the Auto mode as the little sensor at the front of the telly checks your rooms brightness and adjusts accordingly. I turned the brightness up a bit.

I watched "House of Wax" in the dark last night and picture quality was excellent (shame the same cannot be said about the film).

I turned off the P-NR and use the DVB so no 3D-Filter option.

What sharpness level are you guys on? I turned it down to one notch as it was quite sharp anyway.

Lastly I turned the colour down a couple of notches as was too vivid.

5. stridley

stridley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, Using Dynamic here also and found it to be the best balance (but does need toning down a bit). Have tried Auto as this apparently activates the CATS sensor but couldn't see any noticeable effect and found this setting to be rather washed out.
    I too have turned Sharpness down by 1 or 2 notches but not too much as it softens the image.

I'm getting there but still feel I haven't got skin tones just right so will contine tweaking :)

6. Madshark

Madshark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you tweaking when watching a DVD or DVB or Analogue? Assuming that different sources need different settings? Are you aiming to get one generic setting for all sources?

7. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay..so I just got off the phone from Panasonic. They confirmed there is NO difference between the panel and more importantly the picture processing of the lxd500 and lxd52. I think people have got a case of 'it costs more...so must be better'

The rep said there was a lot of confusion and its only the vga, sound and pc card inputs that are different.

as you can get the 52 for just over a £1k...what would you do?

Dave

8. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    thats funny because last week they said the complete opposite.

9. Madshark

Madshark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer the design of the 500 ... then I would say that as I have just purchased one ;)

10. pknarb

pknarb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What colour balance settings are you guys using?

I started on "normal" but thought that often things had too much of a yellowish/brownish tint - especially skin tones. Now I'm using cool and think that things look more natural. Maybe it's just my TV that hasn't been calibrated correctly.

As for the other settings:

Viewing Mode: Normal
    Contrast: -5
    Brightness: +2
    Colour: +1
    Sharpness: Untouched
    Colour management: On
    P-NR: Off
    MPEG-NR: Off
    3D-COMB: Off

Of course, sometimes it's necessary to tweak these settings a little depending on the device/material/station.

11. Madshark

Madshark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I set the colour to Normal, but turned it manually down a couple of notches. Only had it a couple of days and so will play more this week.

I bought a new xbox game at the weekend and am looking forward to seeing what it looks like.

12. Madshark

Madshark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, and I forgot to mention earlier, the sound is superb!

13. daz1976

daz1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Great thanks everybody for your input.

Daz

14. stridley

stridley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Only watching DVD and DVB and have found taking the brightness down a tad enhances the picture when watching DVDs

On another note have noticed a slight vertical shadow running from the top to bottom of the screen. Barely noticeable but can be seen on a relatively light moving background (first noticed when watching footy).

Has anyone else noticed this effect?