1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panasonic 32" pk3

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by rogerw, Jan 1, 2002.

1. rogerw

rogerw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    There must be someone out there with one of these sets, 81 people have looked but not come back with an answer, please help with any views as i have to make a decision soon, as i can get a blinding deal on it
    i know it is discontinued
    Spoke to panasonic they said grab it quick well they would wouldn't they? I think the pl1 has taken over from the pk3 and just the case has changed.
    Thanks for looking

2. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i myself have been looking for a new television an i have come across many probs with sony an tosh.so that left panasonic jvc an hitachi.im assured the pk3 is a very good set as is the jvc an the hitachi.i cant give you any reviews i have tried for myself but im told they are very nice so grab it.if you dont like it make up a intermitent fault an tell them you want a different set :) my advice an thats my game plan lol

3. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    just out of interest how much are you getting the set for an where :)

4. rogerw

rogerw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply
    hope to be getting it in a couple of weeks time(house of fraser)
    £749.00 inc 5 year guarantee

5. Aidan

Aidan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have the 32" PK1, had it for around 18 months now. All I can say is I am more than happy with it. Picture is fantastic, no geometry problems at all. Sound is good even though it is only a Nicam set (don't use it that often as it is inked through my amp). The set is also fully NTSC compatible. IMHO if you can get a good deal on it, buy it, you won't be disappointed.

Check out this review from Home Cinema Choice magazine
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/Televisions/Panasonic/PanasonicTX-32PK1.shtml

Hope this helps

Aidan.

6. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 28" version. It's absolutly the best in it's field for detail and clarity. I do get slightly annoyied by flicker sometimes, but this set truly shines with region 1 dvd's. They obviously display a 6ohz refresh rate, producing a barely noticible flicker. In comparision to a 100hz rendition, the quality of the pk3 is astonishing. The only dissadvantage then is slighly more jagged edges than a 100hz set.

Opt for the 100hz versions of this set and i garuntee you will be dissapointed. Just make sure you opt for 60hz dvd's and games.

7. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    you wait for one reply then you get a flood lol nice price mate aswell.good luck with your telly hope its fault free :D

8. rogerw

rogerw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, but does anyone know the difference between a pk1 & pk3 i know the pk2 is dolby pro logic
    thanks again guys

9. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's exactly the same. The 28pk1 and 32pk1 are very loved tv's amoungst these parts due to their perfect ,albeit 50hz pictures.

The pk3 is just an update of the pk1. Nothing has changed. Just a new name.

10. rogerw

rogerw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys
    thanks everyone for your input on the pk3, picking it up tomorrow
    afternoon any agro and i shall be back.
    By the way i have a sherwood pro logic amp but there are not enough inputs on the back to run dvd-vcr-tv through it, is there any difference running the leads from dvd-vcr to the tv and then from tv to amp.
    Thanks again

11. jawa

jawa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know what the difference between the panasonic PL1 and PK1 is??? I know the PL1 is the new version but is it technically better or jsut a new case?

thanks.

12. rogerw

rogerw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    i was told by panasonic that the pl series has taken over the pk series and the only difference as you said was the case.
    By the way picked up my 32" pk3 today, what a blinding picture hope it lasts as long as my old panasonic set 12years and just developed its first fault
    cheers

13. jawa

jawa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks roger.

If I see a PK1 cheaper than the new PL1 I might as well buy that instead!

:)

14. seq2

seq2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had my pk3 32" since november 2001.........paid £450.....which was a bargain.........very bankrupt shop........but when i got it home it had slight convergence and geometry problems.........however ive got the engineers code(im an electonics engineer..philips/marantz cd trained) and sorted it as best i could for now.........maybe the scan coil is not dead centre......the picture looks ok apart from a very slight slant to the bottom left of the pic...........it anoys me watching skew wif pics............the geomagnetic correction is no good the the scan coil isnt dead right.

but otherwise the picture is very excellent on rgb.........as well as the nicam sound............you dont need 100hz when watching dvd.....50hz is fine..............................all in all a good upgrade from my 5 yr old sony 29" (pro logic which i never used)(had dd/dts for 5yrs)..............even that needed the geometry tweakin every now and then.........................if only manufacturers took more pride in setting up the geometry etc.

i would have gone for a sony 32" but there werent any available for £450-£500..............

Engineer codes available if anyone wants them.....(works on all 32"panasonic tvs)(possibly 28"ers also).....

cheers.

15. rogerw

rogerw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Seq2
    As you can see i got my pk3 on wednesday i thought i got mine for a good price, but yours was a bargain.
    As you are a trained engineer is there any rule of thumb with setting up in the picture menu ie: colour - contrast - brightness and sharpness as i was surprised to find contrast was on max when first turned on and i pulled back a bit to about 65% also sharpness down to 25%. The only other thing is should i run the set with AI and P-NR on.
    Hope you can help
    cheers

16. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I know this isn't related to pannys but since you are philips trained can you help me so that I know what to expect when the engineer comes around.

Basically, if you have read the threads elsewhere on this Forum the philps 28pw6515c is havig lets say a few teething troubles.

Mine has just gone out of focus the further away you go from the mid-point of the screen. The on screen graphics are just smudges in the corners. Question is what is likely to have gone wrong with it as its only 6months old.

Its also has another "feature" effect all the way down the right hand edge as the picture squashes in the last half an inch. If you took the image and bent the vertical edge around a rolling pin thats the result you get. In fact every one i have subsequently seen in shops has this "feature" to some degree. I have the service details and code (062596 and i+ key) but the remote doesn't have an i+ key so how do you get into it?

Please could you respond (or anyone else for that matter) as the engineer is coming on monday

Thanks
    Neil

17. seq2

seq2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Roger w

I wouldnt say there is a rule.......but set the set up how you like to see your picture.........

Firstly you wont need to us AI (artificial inteligence).......so set it to off.

Pnr doesnt need to be on either, but if you like a soft picture then its up to you.

I have always set my contrast at about 75%.......which is 12 notches to the right on the panasonic menu.

brightness and colour stays at default in the middle............theres nothing worse than watching people with bright red faces.

sharpness.....i have it off centre by one notch to the right........which gives it a good edge......

colour balance..........set to normal.

RGB..AV1...you cant adjust the colour, only the brightness and contrast

my picture looks just fine set like this..............

if you have a dvd player with rgb through av1 scart socket looks stunning............first thing i watched on mine was shrek and the colours were excellent.................it looked so different than watching it on a 29" sony with massive black bars on the top and bottom..

you can check the geometry on your set with a dvd test disc.....one which has THX video tests on ...........ie castaway is the first that spings to mind..

hope this helps

seq2

18. seq2

seq2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NEIL

without looking at it, is sounds as though it could be geometry and convergence problems. focus could be related in the engineers menu/ otherwise it has developed a fault.

if you have dvd player you could see if its really bad with a test disc......like the Total DVD Test disc from 1999......off the front cover.

the pic may need expanding and shifting to the right............six months isnt all that long......20 weeks........if your not happy with it see if you can exchange it............dont let the sales men fob you off if you do take it back........let them know that you are the boss.........

as for codes etc i dont have any for your set............i only do the odd tv.......but otherwise i fix cd/dvd players.

seq2

19. rogerw

rogerw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi seq2
    Thanks for your info it is greatly appreciated. After setting it all up it is a stunning picture until i played a video which was so grainy i turned it off (Toshiba player 2 months old ) i have now put back into service my old panny video NV-F77 , the picture is perfect far better quality, taking back the Tosh tomorrow to get my money back, no problem there, Costco, blinding aftersales service
    Thanks again
    rogerw

20. dc1743

dc1743
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi seq2,
    It was only when reading this post that I realised I could do something about my TX32PK1 s picture which drops slightly towards the bottom right of the picture. I would be grateful for the engineers codes.

TIA Richard ;)