Panasonic 310 or Oppo Bdp93

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hessman, Dec 27, 2011.

1. hessman

hessman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm trying to decide if it's worth spending the extra £350 on buying the Oppo over the Panasonic. Both have dual HDMI connections so for us folks with older AV amps it's a necessary. I surpose it comes down to wether I need the extra support for streaming files from a NAS unit on not.

Not being able to test both machines makes it a little difficult to see a side by side comparison for picture quality.

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,499
    Are you expecting improved BluRay picture quality from the Oppo? If so then you might be surprised to find that even on a near 10' wide screen my Oppo 93 doesn't look any better than my previous budget Sony BDP-S350 with BluRays. That's not to say I'm disappointed as the analogue outputs do sound really good through my legacy AV9 processor (for SACDs and DVD-A as well of course), the subtitle shift helps as I use an A-lens and the source direct feature means that I can let my Lumagen upscale DVDs (slightly better at this, but again it's only because I'm watching on a big screen that the slight difference is noticable).

But simply for BluRays at 1080/24p...IMHO nah.:)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  3. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The build quality on Panasonic stuff isn't what it used to be but free star wars trilogy plus all that spare cash to spend on blu rays in the January sales.......
    :D

4. hessman

hessman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well thats the decision made the Panasonic is all nicely installed. PQ is a step up from my HTPC with a blu-ray installed and so much less hassle. And all the extra cash to buy some more movies. :)

5. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,288
    LOL So between BluRay players there can't be a difference, yes PQ can be improved from an HTPC with bluray player :) Just imagine how much nice the Oppo would have looked then :eek:

6. hessman

hessman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well of course there can be a difference but it's making the decision on how much that extra is worth has to come in to play. Things are always very subjective and I couldn't find anyone local to be able to see a side by side comparison. So it's not really fair to say that I would of seen a massive increase in quality to justify the extra £350.

And let's be honest that does buy an awful lot of new films to play.

7. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,383
    For the majority of standalone players on the market , there is little to no difference in picture quality output , so theres no justification for changing players based on that requirement.

For a HTPC , well thats a completely different kettle of fish , setting up a HTPC to output a quality BD picture is not easy , and involves a hell of a lot more than sticking in a BD drive and installing PowerDVD.
    You would most likely be looking at a week of tinkering , at the very least.

8. hessman

hessman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes I played with getting the HTPC set up for over a year, but every time new film came out there was always issues. StarWars was the final straw for me. Having spent hundreds on the Pc I just want something the wife can use with no issue or faffing around. So for me this right way for me to go. The HTPC will stay in the lounge as it still used for HD DVD and all my music.

9. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,288
    But as some would say it is digital, all it does is transmit the 0 & 1 ;) They were talking about PQ not usability...

10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,499
    I've dabbled with using a PC for AV duties back when I had a satellite card to watch and record BBC HD from Freesat: The slightest change to the computer seemed to cause issues and I spent more time fiddling than watching. I could put a BluRay drive in it, but I couldn't be done with the fiddling and as I said further up for 1080/24p I doubt you'll see any difference between players (apart from some that add extra 'sharpness' by messing with the signal or those that alter the gamma response, etc). My setup is calibrated so I'm better off with a player that doesn't mess about with the response to start with as I'd only calibrate it out to a flat gamma response and don't like 'false' edges on video either.

Looks like the OP got sorted out and didn't need the extra features of the dearer option. I know we're all AV nuts on here, but sometimes it's better to be realistic about what the extra money is going to give you: I've seen threads with people wanting to upgrade almost for the heck of it, when they already have a good quality player. It's maybe only speed that they would gain (might be worth it in itself it the existing player is very slow I suppose) but expecting a big 'wow' moment at the 'improved picture quality' could lead to disapointment.

Doesn't make for a very exciting forum though if everyone is happy with what they've got though. ;):D

11. TimmyBee86

TimmyBee86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    can someone explain to me why I (with an 'old' av amp) need dual HDMIs? I see some of the bog standard players dont have an optical out, so thats off putting, but so long as its got optical, i can go to TV with HDMI and to amp with Optical? why the need for multiple HDMIs on the player?

12. jwsg

jwsg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Older in the sense of HDMI 1.3 non-3D amp. You would not wish to connect a blu-ray player to an audio system by Optical.
    If you have a 3D TV and do not wish to replace the amp you would make one connection to the amp for audio and another (carrying 3D video) directly to the TV.

13. TimmyBee86

TimmyBee86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    ah ok so optical doesnt carry the latest and greatest audio? i didnt know that.
    Well my amp is old enough to not have any HDMIs, and my TV (not that i have bought it yet) is/will be a Panny ST30. The issue i currently have, is that if i plug in my player to the TV via HDMI, and then TV to Amp via optical, i only get 2.1 whereas if i split it at the player, i get 5.1
    (at the moment, i dont even have a blu-ray player - so im talking about my Xbox)

Looks like i have got a fair bit of research to do first.

When you say "You would not wish to connect a blu-ray player to an audio system by Optical" - is that just for 7.1 all bells and whistles? would it matter for 5.1?

14. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,063
    S/PDIF (optical or coax) doesn't support HD lossless formats i.e. DTS HD MA or Dolby TrueHD and is limited to 2 channel LPCM. It can support the lossy formats such as DTS, Dolby Digital etc and on Blu-ray these can offer higher bit rate than the DVD version.

Avi

15. jwsg

jwsg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    It's simply that part of the deal with blu-ray are the DTS and Dolby HD soundtracks which are lossless in all channels, it's not really whether they are 5.1 or 7.1 - it's the quality not quantity.

If your amp has analogue inputs then the Oppo is strong on onboard decode and analogue output so you can get the benefit of HD audio that way. In the meantime you are correct, you wouldn't want to route blu-ray audio via the TV, that optical is to carry TV sound to the amp.

In any case life's a lot easier with HDMI switching. If you have a HTPC and a Xbox and a PS3 I would have thought a new amp is a good investment - the prices seem low at the moment compared with a few years ago.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  16. TimmyBee86

TimmyBee86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    yeah... my sig needs updating a bit. the PS3 is as dead as a duck, and the HTPC is now somewhat trashed after i had a brief experiment into Linux. im sure i put the Windows OS on a partition somewhere...

17. greeng4309

greeng4309

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm probably a good judge as I have both an Oppo 93 and Panny BDT210.

Panny is a great player for the money, excellent pq, sound, menu's etc... BUT
    if you can stretch your budget to £500 you will be getting a far superior piece of kit.

Better sound, sharper Blu Ray images with excellent colour texture and the DVD upscaling is simply awesome.

You can't go wrong with the Panny, but you will get a far better av 'experience' with the Oppo.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Ps also attached a couple of photos of oppo pq. Tangled is blu ray, lost and found is DVD. The panny upscaler is average in comparison. Not sure iPhone photos do the Oppo justice

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  18. hessman

hessman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Many thanks to everyone. I've bought the Panasonic and am really happy with the player.