1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 28pl1/10 SCHT70 any good?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Jennie, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Jennie

Jennie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

It's time to upgrade the 15 year old 14" portable (yes finally!) and I am sick of having pushing sales guys trying to impress me with their knowledge of technical jargon so I decided to ask for some real help.

Basically there seem to be some good deals on with Panasonic TVs and home cinema systems. For about £900 I can get a TX28pl1 with SC-HT70 home cinema kit and for about £100 more the PL10 100Hz. There is even a company (techtronics.com) that sell modified SCHT70s that play MP3s and allow the DVDs to be recorded.

Is this system worth getting? Does the fact that the system does not have dts sound and a couple of other whizzy bits matter? Are any other companies doing similar branded deals? Who are the cheapest vendors?

I cannot go for a bigger screen as I need to be able to move in the lounge!

Thanks in advance,

Jen

2. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am awaiting delivery of the PL10 so I can't comment yet but I have had the SCHT70 delivered. It is a great improvement over the old TV sound I had and the Picture quality is a great improvement over a video recorder. Can I ask how much exactly each will cost you?

3. stu320

stu320

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I owned one for a few months before returning it to the supplier (since I saw multi region versions of the same beast for £389) well over £100 less than I paid.
    Jennie, I was impressed with it. The bass to mid range "join" is poor and it sounds hopeless for CD music. You will not be able to throw out your old CD Hi Fi!
    It was also a bit confusing about whether films should be watched in 5.1 mode or Prologic. The handbook was hopeless. (maybe its me being thick?)

My girlfriend and I are totally hooked on DVD/home cinema and its terrible being without one at this point!
    Now I'm considering the Denon product (£1200). Ideally I'd like to buy a product that has a better sound that the SCHT 70 but costs less than the Denon. Any suggestions? I'd like to try the Sony DAVS 700 too.

4. Jennie

Jennie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

The best deals seems to be:

28PL1 empiredirect £516 inc del.

28pl10 techtronics.com £628 inc del (free)

ht70 techtronics £331 (free headphones)

modded ht70 (plays mp3s, multiregion, can record discs etc £378

Also if you buy the TV from techtronics you can buy a modified panasonic RV31EB for £69

Is techtronics.com a reputable dealer - are they selling imported kit?

Sorry Stu I cannot really comment on other systems yet

Thanks again,

Jen

5. stu320

stu320

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the price info Jennie.
    I may well buy another SCHT 70 ...if I'm too impatient to find a better sounding unit.

http://www.multiregionmagic.co.uk/ have the multi region version(£389). Is that important to you?
    I spoke to the people at Costco (far better than MAKRO) and they seemed to feel that they would have some new prices soon since they recognise that the DAVS 300 and SCHT 70 were too expensive.

By the way, Costco are extremely good for TV's too.

6. stu320

stu320

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies, I've only just looked at techtronics.com.
    They are multi region too....
    The prices are astonishing.

7. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    FYI if you ppl do a search on here you'll find some bad experiences with techtronics.
    Also you may not know of price-guide.co.uk who are a good price search. There's also linkonline.co.uk, http://www.leconcepts.com/dvd_home.htm and electrocentre.co.uk for good prices.
    I'm surprised no one has spread woes of the all in one dvd players/receivers as yet, if you do a search and/or look around in the dvd players section of this forum you'll find weaknesses etc.
    All the best.;)

8. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my system for the following;

NV-HS820B VCR £165

SCHT70 £299 (Region 2)

TX28PL10 £520

John Lewis price matched TV and VCR with Sound and Vision. Excellent value with 5 year guarantee for TV and 2 year for DVD and VCR. The TV actually cost £620 but Panasonic is running a special promotion if you buy a TV/DVD combination from them. They reimburse the discount to the retailer.

9. Jennie

Jennie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Kooks like a slightly better price and a nice guarantee. However, I cannot work out if I want a second DVD and need the first modded!

Jen

10. Jennie

Jennie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having seen some other threads do I go for 50 or 100Hz?

Jen

11. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the risk of sounding like some sort of Jedi, "Let your eyes be your guide" I know its not the definative answer you wanted but I guess like me you are swamped with all the differing opinions in the area of Home cinema but what I've come to realise over the last few weeks is very simple... Who will be watching your system most of the time? You, obviously, so why concern yourself with the views of others? Sure it is nice to join these forums, learn and see whats going on maybe even boast about what a have great system you have/aspire to, but a system, like many other decisions in life is one of taste. You know from the threads that not everyone can perceive the flicker of 50hz. If you can't then is there any need to go for a 100hz set? As you will know from my previous posting I have gone for the PL10 route (finally to be delivered on Saturday after a 4week wait) but if I am totally honest this decision was as much made by "one up manship" as to any perceived increase in picture quality In fact I remember I did notice an improvement (to my eyes) when a DVD was put on pause by shop assistant but is this how we watch films in non- Home Cinema mode? I think not. Jennie, all you can do is go to a decent shop who can set up both the PL1 and the PL10 for you to do a direct comparison in equal and optimum conditions, if then you realise you cannot see a worthwhile difference then save your money and put it towards more DVD's. Failing that buy it from someone like John Lewis who will allow you to change your set within the first 28 daysIf you are not satisfied I know I will do so if I'm unhappy with my set.

12. Jennie

Jennie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you are right. Common sense rules.

Given that have any more 'deals' appeared on the scene over the past week?

Thanks again,

Jen

13. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    None that I have noticed,Though I was seriously considering going up to the 32PL10 this week the best price I saw was £838 at empire direct though I was going to go with £865(Sound and Vision) which of course John Lewis priced matched with their free 5 yr guarantee but alast I simply couldn't stretch to this figure great though it is.

Actually I must tell you I'm now having to buy the TV for £579 not the £520 I'd thought It seems the head of the Audio and TV dept has said that I can't price match and have the £100 Panasonic TV/DVD package discount at the same time but have either or. so I Used the option that made it cheaper. John Lewis retail the PL10 at £679 now.

14. Jennie

Jennie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I'll do one last sweep and then take the plunge!

Jen

15. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good Luck!! I've been told my PL10 should be here sometime after one o'clock.:p