• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic 2014 TV's incorporate Freetime epg and catch up services

MAX1210

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Yes, there is another thread about it here: Panasonic 2014 TVs to get Freetime Service | AVForums

The Freetime "app" will be on TV's that have Freeview only (AS510, AS600 & AS650 series) as well as models with Freeview & Freesat (AS740, AS802 & AX802 series)

BBC iPlayer & itv Player are currently up and running - 4oD & Demand 5 should be working during May sometime VIERA Service Update - Panasonic UK & Ireland The "Showcase" feature, is also not working yet.

I had seen that but expected the TV would have a freesat satellite tuner. A tad surprised to find only a DVB-T2 tuner.

MAX1210

I would've liked to have seen it on just Freesat models, and not just the Freeview ones, it would've been more of a "carrot" to entice customers up the range a bit rather than sticking to the lower end models. However, I guess Panasonic have to compete with Samsung who have all the catch up services on pretty much all their smart TV's.

MAX1210

Any likelihood of this becoming the subject of an upgrade to the 2013 models?

There is a small (highly unlikely) chance that it could be made to work with the 2013 models with the hexa processing engine, but I wouldn't bet on it.

MAX1210

Max, do you find that people buy TV's for the Smarts, or the TV?

There are a fair few people who buy a tv because of its advertised smart features even though they probably won't even use them. We lost a lot of sales last year because Panasonic didn't have all the the catch up tv services even though, when asked, the majority of people had a sky hd or virgin box that could be connected to their router to access those services.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom