panasonic 2011 plasma, gaming only

zainetor

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have to buy a tv especially for console gaming and to see some movie. I would like to know, wich model of this year's line up has the lowest input lag,but not in game mode, since I really hate that setting to play.

thanks to anyone who will respond me.

PS: I almost forgot, 50 inch model, and sorry , for the bad english. ;)

Hi everyone,
I have to buy a tv especially for console gaming and to see some movie. I would like to know, wich model of this year's line up has the lowest input lag,but not in game mode, since I really hate that setting to play.

thanks to anyone who will respond me.

PS: I almost forgot, 50 inch model, and sorry , for the bad english. ;)
Lowest lag from the 2011 range is the C3 I think it has around 16ms.

Review is here

http://www.avforums.com/review/Panasonic-C3-TX-P42C3B-42-Inch-Plasma-TV-Review.html

thx, but fullhd possibly ;)
The U3 would be your next bet. The general rule of thumb with Panasonic plasmas is the higher up the range you go the more lag is added.
Having said that there isnt much in terms of lag anyway with Panasonics. LGs tend to be around 50ms and Panasonics 20ms.
If you want a decent picture with a 1080p screen then the U3 will do it. If the room has a bit of sunlight then the G30 would be the next pick.:smashin:

The U3 would be your next bet. The general rule of thumb with Panasonic plasmas is the higher up the range you go the more lag is added.
Having said that there isnt much in terms of lag anyway with Panasonics. LGs tend to be around 50ms and Panasonics 20ms.
If you want a decent picture with a 1080p screen then the U3 will do it. If the room has a bit of sunlight then the G30 would be the next pick.:smashin:

yeah, I think that too, but in all the reviews i red, they only tell the lag, with game mode. If someone has this set, and has my same problem or maybe can test it, It would do me a favor.

I'm also interested in st30, but again got the same problem, and the only 50 inch review of this set I saw, the cnet one, doesn't mention it at all.

Last edited:
yeah, I think that too, but in all the reviews i red, they only tell the lag, with game mode. If someone has this set, and has my same problem or maybe can test it, It would do me a favor.

I'm also interested in st30, but again got the same problem, and the only 50 inch review of this set I saw, the cnet one, doesn't mention it at all.
Ive played on the VT30 on THX mode and felt no lag. Infact it felt really responsive and faster than my PK590.;)

I have last yrs G20 and use it for PS3 gaming, used to use game mode but now use THX for everything, cannot fault it, no lag excellent visuals.

I play MW2, GT5, Pro Evo 2009 and Figh Night Champion online as well, no noticable lag, spot on.

Lee :)

Dude . make shure that you can return it easily. I would even recomend cancelling the order. I had a gt30 and st30 and gaming really showcased the serious motion problems with panasonic tvs.

Dude . make shure that you can return it easily. I would even recomend cancelling the order. I had a gt30 and st30 and gaming really showcased the serious motion problems with panasonic tvs.
Was This console gaming, PC gaming or both?

Xbox 360 outputting at 60hz , framerate variable. its definitly possible that pc gaming with higher framerate will reduce it but im unable to verify. I too was attracted by the low lag on these screens but was shocked to see the motion issues. I still cant believe it. Im tempted to unbox the st again (waiting for pickup) just to see if i was dreaming.

Xbox 360 outputting at 60hz , framerate variable. its definitly possible that pc gaming with higher framerate will reduce it but im unable to verify. I too was attracted by the low lag on these screens but was shocked to see the motion issues. I still cant believe it. Im tempted to unbox the st again (waiting for pickup) just to see if i was dreaming.

I may know what you're describing and if it is what I believe it's definitely related to framerate as you've mentioned. I can't speak for the 14th gen Panny PDP's but I can with regard to last years VT20 with the short stroke phosphors. It wasn't visible with Games running at around 60fps on the VT20 or indeed any other PDP i've gamed on. I don't think you were dreaming :). I think you notice what I myself notice, which if that is the case is unfortunate (when it comes to gaming on Plasma)

Have a read of this link and see does this perhaps describe what you're seeing

low FPS

If you want me to elaborate further I would happy to discuss in the thread i've linked to :)

Here you go. No matter what the setting this is what you are going to see on xbox 360 gaming. This is the 50st30 I have just unboxed it to take these shots. These are slow pans by the way just like normal walking. If you were running and turning fast you cant see a thing.

Attachments

• 1 static.jpg
    1 static.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,191
  • 2 moving.jpg
    2 moving.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,107
  • 3 static.jpg
    3 static.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,120
  • 4 moving.jpg
    4 moving.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,213
  • 5 static.jpg
    5 static.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 885
  • 6 moving.jpg
    6 moving.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 949
  • 7 robbed .jpg
    7 robbed .jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 827
  • 8 get your money back.jpg
    8 get your money back.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 829
I don't have anything like this on my 3 year Samsung lcd and i have never seen this on my mates Samsung plasma playing a lot of cod. This is the core undefeatable fame interpolation algorithm of the Panasonic hardware and while I will admit that it may decrease with increased frame rate it does appear to some degree in almost any moving material on this TV. Which to me says that the Panasonic engineers need to sit down and rework the core maths behind their processing. While they are doing that I will stick with the oversaturated colours and lack of contrast on my Sammy as at least I can see what is going on when there is movement on the screen.

You are very unlikely to see it on LCD, LCD due to it's very nature (motion blur) masks double imaging. It's visible on certain high end locally dimming LCD's that utilise Backlight scanning (via black frame insertion). The majority of COD games run at practically 60fps which will virtually eliminate this. I'm not disputing what you've posted, I see this with gaming myself. I actually find low framerate games and the panny 50hz issue are very similar in appearance which is why I didn't personally rate the VT20.

I cancelled my order for the 65VT30 because of the reported problems and the more I read this thread I know I have made the right decision.

Can't you alter the settings of game mode? Surely you could select it then change colour preset to warm and knock the contrast down a bit? My mate bought the 50 inch samsung plasma, c7000 I think, and is very happy with it.

You are very unlikely to see it on LCD, LCD due to it's very nature (motion blur) masks double imaging. It's visible on certain high end locally dimming LCD's that utilise Backlight scanning (via black frame insertion). The majority of COD games run at practically 60fps which will virtually eliminate this. I'm not disputing what you've posted, I see this with gaming myself. I actually find low framerate games and the panny 50hz issue are very similar in appearance which is why I didn't personally rate the VT20.

I agree with the above, though Panasonic do still need to look at their processing this is to be expected. IFC on my V20 can help low fr games, worth a try. Also play the same game on another plasma to see for yourself.

OK guys. It is frustrating. I only have an old sammy lcd to test against and the more I experiment it does indeed seem to be related to frame rate. And the different approaches to creating extra frames in the name of frame interpolation.
Bluray and dvd the picture is so stunning, I do notice dbl frames and changing brightness in some instances but it is pretty rare or unobtrusive.
But for console gaming this TV is a no no.
For example in racing games on my LCD with its its cloudy backlighting and flat picture, I can still allways see, clearly , in detail, the track well ahead of me but on this telly there are always multiple images being generated especially when turning. This totally ruins the game.
So there you have it. Stuck between awesome picture quality and sh**ty motion handling in low frame rate console games (and the more they push the consoles the lower they will drive the frame rate) Admittedly fifa wc looked stunning with no doubling whatsoever..Might have another match before I box it up again. Anyway thats my 10c worth. This TV is not for me. And anyone expecting to play low framerate console games should not touch it.

Last edited:
OK guys. It is frustrating. I only have an old sammy lcd to test against and the more I experiment it does indeed seem to be related to frame rate. And the different approaches to creating extra frames in the name of frame interpolation.
Bluray and dvd the picture is so stunning, I do notice dbl frames and changing brightness in some instances but it is pretty rare or unobtrusive.
But for console gaming this TV is a no no.
For example in racing games on my LCD with its its cloudy backlighting and flat picture, I can still allways see, clearly , in detail, the track well ahead of me but on this telly there are always multiple images being generated especially when turning. This totally ruins the game.
So there you have it. Stuck between awesome picture quality and sh**ty motion handling in low frame rate console games (and the more they push the consoles the lower they will drive the frame rate) Admittedly fifa wc looked stunning with no doubling whatsoever..Might have another match before I box it up again. Anyway thats my 10c worth. This TV is not for me. And anyone expecting to play low framerate console games should not touch it.

I must admit, before looking at your pics above, I didn't know what you were talking about, but I can see why you wouldn't be happy with that!

Conversely, as a PC gamer, I have tested many games (All easily 60+FPS) on my TX-P42G30 and have found fast motion handling to be utterly fantastic, with none of the issues you have encountered. I would therefore agree that this TV may not be suitable for console gamers especially, as this set doesn't interpolate very well in those conditions, and thus make games look even worse than they already do on this generation of consoles.

So, if you're a PC gamer, then this set (And the 3D series above my G30) is for you, if not, maybe it's worth testing one out before you buy.

I game on my G20 via PS3 and find the whole process stunning, GT5, MW2 etc are faultless, no motion handling problems to be concerned about. However, I haven't played any games that have a frame rate less than 60FPS on it so cannot vouch for that.

IFC has always been turned off and I always prefer to use THX mode for everything leaving all settings at factory setting.

Lee :)

Ive gamed on my mates VT30 and with 30fps games we just pop IFC on med if it still has a bit of judder we pop it up to max.

I'm one of those guys that sees this effect on LCD/LEDs and CRT tvs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom