Panasonic 2010 floating blacks fix

Dick Emery

According to this thread over at avsforum adjusting the contrast headroom in the service menu fixes floating blacks. It has something to do with the way the set pushes more power to the set in certain situations which is seperate to whether CATS is enabled or disabled (I think).

2010 Panasonic CATS Override - AVS Forum

Please can those who have this issue (and who it bothers) join in the discussion and throw in your opinions and tips. I currently have a G20 but am loath to go into the service menu and fiddle with it until someone else has done it and has some suggestions on how and by how much to alter it as some of the sets do not use a 2 digit hexadecimal value.

I'm also curious to know if everyone who has a particular model has the same values. If they do it might be easier for those of us who are not experienced with such matters to try a default value given by others that work for them to test.

Last edited:

micks_address

Be watching this closely.. i have a 42VT20.. i know i could search.. but how do i get into the service menu?

also it seems the service menu setting is input independant so will have to do for all my HDMI inputs? I'm just wondering will you end up wiht crushed blacks by doing this? As long as its easy enough to revert to original settings i wouldnt mind giving it a go..

Cheers,
Mick

According to this thread over at avsforum adjusting the contrast headroom in the service menu fixes floating blacks. It has something to do with the way the set pushes more power to the set in certain situations which is seperate to whether CATS is enabled or disabled (I think).

2010 Panasonic CATS Override - AVS Forum

Please can those who have this issue (and who it bothers) join in the discussion and throw in your opinions and tips. I currently have a G20 but am loath to go into the service menu and fiddle with it until someone else has done it and has some suggestions on how and by how much to alter it as some of the sets do not use a 2 digit hexadecimal value.

I'm also curious to know if everyone who has a particular model has the same values. If they do it might be easier for those of us who are not experienced with such matters to try a default value given by others that work for them to test.

Please rememmber to be carefull what your doing when entering the service menu, as any mistakes made through there voids you warrenty.

Proceed at your own risk.

Dick Emery

Apparently this does not work on HDMI inputs as they lock the contrast in the service menu at 00/000. The way to get around this which 'may' work is to disconnect all HDMI cables and connect an HD source via component then go into the service menu, make a note of the default contrast and try halving this in hex value (Can be done using Windows calculator). Use -vol until you get to that value then save it and see if 1. floating blacks are gone and 2. how it affects you user contrast values and levels (DVE test).

Unfortunately I don't have anything to connect via component as I run all my HD from a PC's Nvidia card via HDMI. Not sure how to get around this (cheaply).

Dick Emery

You don't ditch HDMI. You only use component so you can adjust the contrast in the service menu for each user preset in both SD and HD. Apparently - at least on Low Tech's US model Panny - by doing this on component it also stops floating blacks on the HDMI inputs too. But you have to do it in component input mode because HDMI locks the setting. One affects the other so to speak. Once completed and you are happy with the results you can reconnect your HDMI sources and have no more floating blacks.

Your mileage may vary.

Dick Emery

I really thought there would be more people willing to test this as there were quite a few previous posters who were familiar with their service menu's and willing to fiddle. But of late the G20 thread has become a bit slow and all the posters seem to have left?

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
I really thought there would be more people willing to test this as there were quite a few previous posters who were familiar with their service menu's and willing to fiddle. But of late the G20 thread has become a bit slow and all the posters seem to have left?
maybe they got refunds and bought lg's or went lcd ?:(

Dick Emery

OK this is a dead topic and it appears it does not work anyhow (See avsforum thread) on G20's or VT20's etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom