Panasoinc 42PHD6 Vs PWD6

andyatkins

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am due to make a final decision in the next few days whether to go for the SD or HD Panny 6 series. Have been to AV-Sales where Andy C was very helpful (if anyone else is thnking the same go there - their service is excellent!) & showed me the 2 running the same DVD & Sky feeds.

THe funny thing was if anything the SD gave better PQ, although clearly it was not with HD material.

So I am really undecided - on the one hand I could get better future proofness although I have some reservations over a 1024x768 resolution (IE not being true 1280x720 supportive), but on the other hand the SD seems to delvier the best pq for current material.

Has anyone got any views on the differences in PQ when both the SD & HD are showing 720p type stuff? Is there a significant difference there or is the SD almost as good in which case I may as well stick with that one?

Thanks for your help guys

If you're not planning PC use with it go for the PWD6 and save yourself some cash. Until Blu-Ray comes out anyway I don't see the point other than connecting to a PC to justify the price.

I think with the HD screen you may need to run your gear through a scaler to get the best out of it .

im afraid im almost certain you will need a video processor to get the best even from the SD model.....

ad

I get the impression that you could end up spending quite a bit than the outlay on the display !

Thanks guys.

FYI - the idea I have up my sleeve whichever Plasma I go for is to put in an HCPC as an AV hub running Dscaler to get to 1:1 pixel mapping for all sources.

Although I understand there are some issues in getting this to work in a pure Digital DVI route (somthing technical about the Panny DVI terminal board accepting 50Hz refresh rates in PAL??), I also understand the PQ is only marginally effected if you take the same approach via analogue (IE the VGA port).

This seems to me a low-risk apprach as the panel already has a VGA port & I can use my existing PC as a testing platform for DScaler before committing to buying a new PC.

Any further thoughts on this approach?

you can apparently manage 50Hz if you are very technical and do some modding....

ad

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom