Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panansonic TX28PS5, aspect issues

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Skwarkenklux, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Skwarkenklux

Skwarkenklux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just taken delivery of a TX28PS5, overall it's a good set but I'm having a few probs with the picture.

Mainly, as the aerial is crap, it's hardly used and so I do most viewing through Sky. Problem is that when using "Panasonic Auto" for aspect switching, it's very unstable. That is that it keeps zooming and cropping the picture at different intervals (only through AV). I can stick it in 16:9 mode of course, but it a pain to change it manually. Anyone had any experience with this?

I've also noticed the Sky onscreen banner is quite distorted on the TV and while normal picture seems fine, if you view digital service like BBCi the picture seems to taper quite noticeably in toward the right of the screen. Again, any ideas?

2. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sky banner will pull slightly to the right if you are using a composite feed and you have the brighness / contast up too high.

Try this.

Set the sky box to output RGB (you will notice an imediate difference)

Set the brightness / contrast to 50% and set colour to arround 40% and set AI to On.

3. Skwarkenklux

Skwarkenklux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm already running on that setup (I think). Sky via scart is connected to AV2, while the DVD takes AV1 (for RGB). Sky box is also set to RGB output anyway.

4. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's the problem then, only Av1 will accept RGB on this set so try wiring it this way:-

DVD scart to scart of sky.

Other scart of sky to av1 of tv.

When you have one of your sources on (dvd or sky) and when you choose av1 on the tv it should come up as AV1/RGB in the top right.

Also to prove its working on sky change between rgb and not rgb in the sky menu and you will see the quality of picture change.

Cheers

Robert.

5. Skwarkenklux

Skwarkenklux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, will try that.

Does the Sky box allow for RGB pass-through then?

6. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know mine does, only issues you may have could be with the dvd player , if you get a black screen then see if there is an option for low power standby in the dvd menu's and change it. If this doesnt solve it then if you want rgb on both you will need a switch box.

7. petebog

petebog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic Auto is no good, if it detects black bars it will go into zoom 1. Also if the picture is dark, it sometimes zooms in. Best to put on 16:9 (full) as this fills the screen and just elongates a 4:3 image, but when receives a proper widescreen signal it will change to wide. Check by pressing aspect button whilst on a widescreen channel.