1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panansonic NV-HS860B S-VHS recording

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Kaledii, Feb 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Kaledii

Kaledii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have had this Panasonic video recorder for a couple of years now and have used it extensively, recording in normal and SVHS formats using a std composite feed from Sky. Now Decided I wanted to take advantage of the increased quality that a S-video feed would offer and therefore was considering buying a JS RGB to S-video convertor.
    Before buying one thought I would hook up my DVD player and check out the difference it makes to the recording quality.
    Anyway tried to connect the DVD player to the AV2 scart socket and all I got was a black and white picture. Checked the instructions and it appears that neither of the scart sockets will accept a S-video feed. The only way to record a S-video feed is through the front inputs ie AV3. Can anyone confirm this for me or am I missing something in the set up of the video player. Seems very odd to me that such a video player would not have the ability to record S-video sources through one of the scart sockets, or is this the norm for SVHS videos?

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Of all the Panasonic SVHS vcrs I have owned (three!), none has S-Video IN via the SCART. Only via the mini-din usuallon the front, although my first one had a rear socket (How I miss those rear S-Video in sockets :( ).

My current JVC SVHS vcr DOES have S-Video in VIA the SCART.
    It's menu driven. The disadvantage is that if you want to use it for RGB loopthrough then you have to have the VCR switched on and set to the AV channel, unlike my previous Panasonics which could be in standy mode or even recording off air.

That's the trade off!

btw, the JS converter is recommended. Makes a big difference to the recorded pic quality.

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I have an old Panasonic S-VHS machine, can't remember the model, where the input to AV2 is switchable between composite and S-video by a small switch located near the AV1 and AV2 scarts.

If you don't have this check the menus. I'd be amazed if the input is not switchable somehow.

The b&w picture from the DVD player may be a macrovision thing.