Question Panamorph Phoenix Anamorphic Lens or Zoom?

Anamorphic Lens or Zoom method?

• Anamorphic Lens

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zoom

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Haven't posted on here for a while :) So for the past year I have gone scope (136" - 2.39:1 Screen) and I couldn't be more happier. I have the JVC x9900 and I have been very pleased with using it's lens memory function and zoom options in order to view cinemascope movies on my screen.

I have always wondered how much better an anamorphic lens would be and often toyed with the idea of buying one. Now I am in a position to buy a "Panamorph Phoenix" lens which if I am not mistaken replaced their previous UH480 and DC1 models.

99% of my viewings are 4K HDR movies which are mostly 2.39/2.40 or 2.35 movies. Lens to screen throw is approx. 5.5 meters. the Panamorph Phoenix comes with the XM1 bracket, which is a fixed bracket so the lens will always be in place.

The question I have is this:

1 - How much better would it be to use this lens with my PJ rather than the zoom method? I appreciate there is said to be more light output and smaller pixels which in result is supposed to give a much better picture, however in real world viewing is this really noticeable?

2 - I currently have a flush mount to ceiling lens, which even when I use maximum vertical lens shift the screen is still higher than I would like in the 16:9 native format which is required for use with anamorphic lens. Which projector mount is preferred to use with this type of anamorphic lens? What I mean is I need to drop it down from the ceiling really as it is almost flush to the ceiling. Which mount is recommended please?

3 - I appreciate the this lens may not work with the newer JVC models 17:9 models which I believe are the N7 and NX9 so would it be sensible to pass on this and buy a better lens? I do not intend to change or upgrade for a good few years .

The lens I am looking to buy is the Panamorph Phoenix. Would really appreciate all your help and advice. Please see attached pics of my current setup with no anamorphic lens, using the zoom option and cropping the black bars with JVC masking . I mean does it really get better than this with the lens?? The last picture I have attached is a picture of the actual lens I am looking to purchase.

20190922_011230.jpg 20190922_031024.jpg 20190922_031311.jpg 20190922_035440.jpg IMG_0242.jpg

I'm guessing this is a hard one as those who know the quality of your projector when using the zoom feature. It's image quality will certainly not be disappointed an maybe a question of why maybe asked to that point.

As for the anamorphic lens, I cannot vouch for that exact, one but ones I have experienced usually deliver a more cinematic feel to them (all be it a little less sharp with softer edging due to the way the lens interacts with the projector) and exciting when you see it in action.

Because of this, even I'd struggle to say which one is best as it really will be down to your subjective views and how you perceive the image quality that will ultimately be the decider. At this level it's like listening to good hi-fi, there is no wrong or right system, just differences of opinion

I'm guessing this is a hard one as those who know the quality of your projector when using the zoom feature. It's image quality will certainly not be disappointed an maybe a question of why maybe asked to that point.

As for the anamorphic lens, I cannot vouch for that exact, one but ones I have experienced usually deliver a more cinematic feel to them (all be it a little less sharp with softer edging due to the way the lens interacts with the projector) and exciting when you see it in action.

Because of this, even I'd struggle to say which one is best as it really will be down to your subjective views and how you perceive the image quality that will ultimately be the decider. At this level it's like listening to good hi-fi, there is no wrong or right system, just differences of opinion
Hi Shane,

Thank you for your honest response. That was one of my fears. To possibly put an inferior lens in front of my JVC's quality lens and also with the added electronic stretch and horizontal expansion of the lens, I am worried of distortion and possibly ruining the purity of the image... It's a though one really. I guess you never really know unless you try it.. The one I was looking at is the Panamorph Phoenix which is I believe the newer model of the UH480. Would appreciate if anyone has experience with panamorph and if they prefer it over zoom method . Thank you :)

Be aware that adding a lens will most likely reduce your ansi contrast and a bit of sharpness.
Ill personally prefer the zoom option due to the 1:1 pixel mapping, as with the lens you need to apply odd scaling.
Only reason to go for the lens is if you need more lightoutput, in no way will a extra lens improve other image parameters.

Be aware that adding a lens will most likely reduce your ansi contrast and a bit of sharpness.
Ill personally prefer the zoom option due to the 1:1 pixel mapping, as with the lens you need to apply odd scaling.
Only reason to go for the lens is if you need more lightoutput, in no way will a extra lens improve other image parameters.
Thank you for your reply. Do you have any experience with anamorphic lens or is this just speculation? Thank you

And sometimes you don't even end up with more light output. I found with the lens I used I had to position my projector further back than it was originally positioned to avoid pin cushion. This then ate up the added brightens. 'Give with one hand, take with another'.

Thank you for your reply. Do you have any experience with anamorphic lens or is this just speculation? Thank you
I have seen, but not owned, the scaling contrast and sharpness is a obvious concern as all optics no matter how good it is will add distortion, only way to know for sure is to test and measure.
cromatic abaration would most likely also come into play, and for good contrast the optic needs antireflective coatings wich eats more lightoutput, so i think it must be a compromise betwwen light and contrast, and jvc already suffers enough with the ansi streaking and reflections as is.

I asked many owners and dealers for specs and before and after measurements of on off contrast and ansi contrast without luck, if i ever get a hold of a lens to play with ill for sure give it a test.

I'll be interested how you get on with this. I'm considering a Paladin DCR (assuming one of my kidneys sells) mostly for the brightness increase and have slight concerns re. softening the image.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom