1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panamorph anamorphic lens upgrade: WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Toekiller, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Toekiller

Toekiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it sounds like this guy is getting alot of benefit..... however (i havent read whole thread) surely on 16:9 he has issues? how does he get it to display?set projector to 4:3? does this work? in which case i can see plenty of arguement for doing this...... id love a 21:9 setup :D

However, i would see it as questionable logic on the end of such a low end machine...... i certainly would envisage greated gains to be had by upgrading my Z2 to something better than sticking on an anamorphic lens

ad
    ad

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's used on a 4:3 pj. You set it to 4:3 mode and thus it squashes/stretches a 16:9 image to fill the display .. the panamorphic lens then un-squashes it into 16:9 ratio .. voila, 16:9 using all of the 4:3 pj's pixels. That's the whole point of it, to maximize the horizontal resolution on a 4:3 pj when showing 16:9 films.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thats what i thought...... but the guy who tried it was using a 16:9 which apparently took it to 2.35:1

have another look.....

ad

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well the principle is the same, he's just starting from a disfferent 'distortion' really.

I have to say I can't completely say I understand what he fiddled with, eg. zoom etc. but cleary there are only a few parameters he can play with .. in particular the aspect-ratio in the DVD player and the 'retain aspect ratio' flag.

By messing with those 2 and maybe something else he got a 2.35:1 AR image distorted into a 16:9 shape by retaining horizontal resolution ... then used the lens to stretch that horizontally back into 2.35:1 shape while retaining vertical resolution, in the same way a standard anamorphic lens is used when distoring 16:9 into 4:3 and back again.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I think you're right - they use the PJ to stretch the 2.35:1 image up to 16:9 by not squishing it, then use the lens to optically squish it back down, so you gain resolution and extra brightness.

The Panamorph and one of the French lenses (can't remember it's name..) keep the width, and alter the height, whereas the Isco II and the other french lens keep the height, and widen the image.

The latter lenses means you can reduce the throw of a long throw pj if you keep the existing screen size.

HTH

Gary.

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so on 16:9 what do you do? you would have to horizontally squish it with the projector then undo with the lens. But then you are losing the resolution on the 16:9!

The best way I can see would be to have a lens on a motor mount so you can stift it out of the way for 16:9.

but in any case, the guys principle arguement was hating black bars, he now simply has them at the side for 16:9 as opposed to top and bottom for 2.35:1!

ad

8. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    The lens is on a hinge so you can tilt it out of the way if he wants to project a native 16:9 image -- I think.

But now you've got me thinking. Is that right...

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well to have to manually shift the lens is a bugger...... but a motor is an idea which im shocked no industry person has utilised

ad

10. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Maybe im missing the point but the lense dosent come cheap
    so would one not be better off putting the cash towards a 16:9 PJ
    and not have to **** about with it.

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the point i believe the poster on avs is making is that he is getting a 21:9 ratio using the lens...... there is no such fixed panel alternative

ad