pana vhs VS jvc svhs

SILVERBACK

Prominent Member
Reaction score
i bought a jvc svhs video recorder a few weeks ago hooked it all up to my set up recorded a few things etc less than impressed with the quality but what was i epxecting its analogue for gods sake lol.today my dads video also a jvc svhs but a few years older retired to the big vcr heaven in the sky,so off we pop to the local box shifters for a new one.i advise him to get a panasonic vhs as they are pretty reliable and from what i remember pretty decent picture.what i wasnt expecting was the VHS pana to blow my crappy jvc SVHS vcr riggt out the water.

im using svhs tapes and its hooked up with decent cables and is recording from sky+ my dads on the other hand is using a scart lead i gave him.better than the one you get in the box but not as good as mine and still it blows mine away.

CONCLUSION jvc are an absolute disgrace for quality of there picture even when using the more expensive tapes and cables so anyone looking for a vcr for the kids or family and need a good pic PLEASE DO NOT BUY a jvc svhs vcr there a disgrace.

RANT over im off to comet for a pana lol.

Have you considered that your may be faulty? It's worth comparing it with another one of the same or similar model. Most VHS machines are pretty much the same these days, many use the same chipsets. S-VHS should certainly be better. If it isn't, it could be faulty.

After buying a JVC 7965, last year, I was less than enthralled.

I haven't yet used SVHS tapes; but the VHS recording and playback rarely compares to that of an old and heavily used Toshiba deck. The on-board timebase corrector can give good results; but overall, the JVC doesn't live up to what I'd expected from forum reports.

I saw the same thing (i.e. relatively speaking) with a VCR in the form of an even older (mono and second-hand!) Grundig machine. Using more recent VCRs, playback of recordings made on that machine still returned a more detailed, sharper image than those made on these newer (NICAM) decks.

Perhaps there just isn't a good VCR anymore... :confused:

I have the same thoughts as Andy572. I bought a Panasonic SVHS last year and have only recorded on VHS tapes but have been less than happy with the quality when compared to my 8 year old Panasonic recorder. So I've now got Sky+ and am really happy with that - next step for me is a DVD recorder as I can't put up with the shoddy quality of modern day VCRs

i went round to a friends house who had a jvc svhs video but a little older than mine and low and behold his pic is crap aswell.i dont think its faulty i just dont think i noticed how bad they where untill i put it side by side with something else.

i was tempted to get a dvd recorder myself but i would love to be able to record 5.1 off sky+ etc thats the only thing putting me off and it needs to be RGB IN and have a hard drive with dvd-rw.

bacl to jvc,lads seriously dont waste your cash with the svhs tapes there over rated and from what i can make pout by my recordings very very very overpriced for what they are.

i have sold it already and im contemplating the pana or just waiting for this new tosh dvd recorder to come out:) thanks for your input im glad its not faulty just very very poor.

Have to agree as well with your findings.
Bought an svhs JVC a few years back (7500 I think) to replace my ageing Mitsubushi B52, ok colours were a bit purer but there was a lot of picture noise. Got a Pace twin last year and you can guess which one got ditched, well my son got it.
My m8 also got one recently and returned it the same day as the picture quality was so poor and they say there is a 60% picture improvement .... I don't think so, not with JVC anyway.

nal

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom