Pana TX-65GZ950B or Philips 650OLED804

snaxo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I need to buy a new TV as part of my house refurb, so I need to buy it before I'll get a chance to audition in person.

At the moment I've narrowed the decision down to either:

- Panasonic TX-65GZ950B

or...

- Philips 65OLED804 (or 854)

I have a lot of faith in Panasonic and reviews I can find for this are generally very positive. Same, actually, for the Phillips - with the exception in one review about Motion Handling issues (though owners feedback that I've read say they don't seem to see any issues). I do like Ambilight (espeically as I have other hue lights in the room) but ultimately what would be the better choice (and why)? Or should I be considering something different altogether ? (at same price point)

Thanks for your advice in advance

Hi all

I need to buy a new TV as part of my house refurb, so I need to buy it before I'll get a chance to audition in person.

At the moment I've narrowed the decision down to either:

- Panasonic TX-65GZ950B

or...

- Philips 65OLED804 (or 854)

I have a lot of faith in Panasonic and reviews I can find for this are generally very positive. Same, actually, for the Phillips - with the exception in one review about Motion Handling issues (though owners feedback that I've read say they don't seem to see any issues). I do like Ambilight (espeically as I have other hue lights in the room) but ultimately what would be the better choice (and why)? Or should I be considering something different altogether ? (at same price point)

Thanks for your advice in advance

Hi. If you are sure you want to go down the oled route rather than LCD, there are a number of choices.
Are you a gamer? What is the quality in general of what you watch?
Cheers

Hi thanks for replying. Are you saying that I should still be considering LCD over OLED? (I'm open to any advice / guidance).

I would say only a very casual gamer.

Generally it will be mostly, regular HD television + streamed HD / 4K or Blu-Ray HD / 4K content

Hi thanks for replying. Are you saying that I should still be considering LCD over OLED? (I'm open to any advice / guidance).

I would say only a very casual gamer.

Generally it will be mostly, regular HD television + streamed HD / 4K or Blu-Ray HD / 4K content

No I'm not saying that at all. Sorry it came across like that. It's just some people look to buy oled and don't really understand the differences in technology to LCD.
If you are a casual gamer, and watch varied content then I works definitely recommend oled.
You'll get lots of different views of course.
My own take is:
If you are going to use the in built sound, go Sony AG8 or AG9.
If not, then
LG c9 is the best all-rounder. Great os, very future proofed. Superb hdr and good elsewhere.
Gz950 (which I have) is stunning for colour accuracy, great motion, upscaling etc and just works very reliably. It doesn't have the superb LG os, but say least it's fast and stable. Also covers all hdr types. Also doesn't have full hdmi 2.1. don't think I'll ever really need it but it's important to some, mainly gamers.
Personally don't think the Philips is quite up to the LG or Panasonic. I use bias lighting as an add on to the TV rather than ambient lighting, which is recommended to be honest...
Just my personal thoughts. I would strongly recommend the LG or Panasonic for your use...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom