Pana TH50PH9UK black level, contrast, Peak level adjust

J

Jensemann

Hi there,

I have a new PH9Uk and several problems... Befor I've had hat the G6 Panel HD Ready (it was called TH42PHW6 in germany)

As I started testing I compared the 2 Models and recognized, that the contrast and black level is much better with the older panel.

Black of the PH9 is more a bright gray if you watch it in darkest rooms. The older G6 Panel is darker... Is there a possibility to let it be fixed by a panasonic service guy?

Other thing is that the contrast is not really good. I compared it and when i put the contrast (brightness has been -2 with both models) to -30 on the G6 it was still brighter than the PH9 turned to +15

There always seemed to be a little gray fog that lays over the picture before:

After some days I played with the peak level that can be put bettween -32 and +32 and recognized that it is much better if I put it to abot +20. I've never needed this on the G6 Panel.

Do you think that a service guy should have a look at the panel maybe contrast ratio is much too weak at factory settings.

Other qusetion normalyy you should't watch the first 100 hours with too high contrast ... Because og burn in effects... do you think this is true, or if I often change programs and watch DVDs it's not of big importance because there are no "logos" fix program informations shown on the same place of the TV?

Thanx

sarll

I went from a PW5 to PH9 and to me the black levels were a lot better. Contrast seemed similar to me, certainly wasn't any worse.

I would suggest you turn down contrast etc for the first 150-200 hours. I remember the picture on mine steadily improved over this time. When you are around 200 hours crank up the contrast etc and see what you think.

I can't remember the exact menu option but there is a setting that can be changed from -1,0,1 - may be gamma or black level??? Anyway I changed this to 1 (as recommended on this site) and the black were even blacker.

I suggest you have a read through the PH9 owners thread, I think the info you need is in there!

J

Jensemann

no, what I mean is that if you turn on the TV and you don't have any signal, means the whole panel is black... this black is grey if you turn the plasma ON. And even if you turn the whole Brightness and Contrast to -30 it is not getting any deeper after brightness is about -3 or -4. This is the deepest black you are able to get! And this is brighter than on my old PHW6.

Andy.T

It's definitely a PH9? Not a PF9? I know the contrast is supposed to be a little worse on them.

usman24

try contrast at +10, brightness at about 0, input level in advanced menu at about -9 and black extension on +1. Also good contrast has a lot to do with perception of black level on real dvd footage. a film with black bars will look very contrasty [ie black bars look almost black on daylight scenes and very very dark grey on low lit or darker scenes]. Black level on the 50PH is very good once calibrated correctly. also try gamma at 2.2 or 2.5 whichever looks better-most likely 2.2.

J

Jensemann

Believe me I tried everything and yes it is a PH9. Ok it is a Th 50 the old one was a 42 it's normal that the 42'' are much brighter, but that much?!

input level -9 that is my big problem. I have to put it to about 15-20 that the grey fog soesn't look like grey fog that lies over the picture anymore.... Is it possible to put contrast in the service menu up a little and maybe the black level a little bit more down???

I need normally to put brightness about -4 otherwise some of the pixel begin to be activated!

Contrast about 10-15 is ok, but only if I put the input level about 15-20 otherwiese it looks like a grey filter

usman24

might sound like a weird question but are you looking at a blank screen with panel on i.e black screen to check black level or actually watching sky or dvd's? There is something not quite right? might be worth having an Isf calibration.

J

Jensemann

Yes I compared the black level without any picture and the PHW6 was darker and I compared it with pictures (2,35:1) where you can see black stripes.

The PHW6 was always darker and much brighter.....

The question is: Is there a possibility in the service menu (which I enter with V- and 3 Times 0) to turn down the black level a little bit and to raise the contrast?

How can I enter the differnet Menus in the Service Menu... I can't get into the 2, Menu... What keys do I have to press to get further in and make changes?

Tnahk you pretty much

For sure I will write down the factory settings before changing!

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom