1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pana SA-XR70

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by locky79, Dec 28, 2004.

1. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hello all!!

well ive currently got my new RD50 and the Pana S97 now i need to sort out my sound system.

so has anyone of you guys got the pana SA-XR70? i just want to know if its a good amp or can i get something much better for the price range? so far ive seen it for about £313.99.

on a side not i also need the speakers :) probably get 5.1 speaker for now so any ideas or advice you can give me? thankie :clap:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    what sort of speakers are you after? Canton CD2.22 would go well with RD50 there are better amps for £300 but none with HDMI (and modded panny are supposed to great) see www.avsforums.com for modding advice

3. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
  4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    As hornydragon said, if you want HDMI then go for the Panny. Otherwise think about the Denon 1910 or Sony DB795.

5. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Roarr!! i just got back from work hehe... thanks for the reply guys and gals :hiya:

well i think im setting a budget from £500 to at MOST £600 so that includes amp and 5.1 or 6.1 speakers.

i personally just want the best for the money, hdmi would cut out some cables etc as i need to have optical for dvd player and 1 for the console and perhaps 1 for sky+ HD when ever that arrives.

for the speakers i need maybe 2 floor standing and for the back of the sofa either a stand and then book shelf or floor stands and subs what ever comes in the speaker package :D

damn it was so busy at work :rotfl:

ps my room is about 12ft x 20ft

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    as it has only 1 HDMI input (need 2 for SKY HD and DVD) look at other ampsin the £250-300 rangeand audition suitable speakers....also consider package deals to save a bit more (often get free cables etc)

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    How about the Denon DHT500 or 550?

8. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    did i forget to mention that i have the panasonic S97?

well i just need the amp and speakers :D i was looking at the canton cd2.2

hmmm.. £899 tempting but hehe need to pay off a few bills here and there first :eek:

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Oops forgot, sorry :blush:

10. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Then the AE EVO package sounds like your best bet
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1469

I think it can be had cheaper else where even though Superfi also include postage :D

11. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    wow i like them!

time i get saving i guess :O hehe whats the difference in the 3A and 3B?

i also saw something similiar but cheaper versions on hifibitz mmm...

looks like im gonna go over my budget again :D

i was original gonna get the pana 36" tv until i heard it was 85kg then i went from that to the LG 44" RP then i moved onto the Sagem and i got the Optoma hehe oh my gadgets and toys :rotfl:

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Several people on this forum have bought Canton products from Germany sucessfully. As far as I remember you could buy the Canton's CD1 for around £250 and spend the rest on an amp. :)

13. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    mmmm.. at the moment im bending towards the AE EVO 3b for £650 as they are velly sexy.
    Now its the amp im worried about now, i think im gonna limit my self to £300 as im only working in retail and we poor fellows only get payed so much :(

so basically i would like the best the money can buy and also a bit more future proof. im clueless about all these sound types i mean all i knew was DTS and 5.1 then i find out theres a 5.1 Neo or something :zonked: im all confused.

14. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yamaha rxv 650 Fantastic price too
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/YAM-RXV650TI.htm
    Marantz SR 5400OSE steal at this price!!
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/MAR-SR5400OSES.htm
    Denon 1905 well liked and rated amp
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/DEN-AVR1905BK.htm
    Sony 795 well rated some have had probelms with them though.
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/SON-STRDB795B.htm

Dolby digital 5.1 and EX and DTS + matrix/descrete are all ways of encoding DIGITAL sound. Mainly on dvd's.

Dolby pro logic/2/2x and DTS:NEO6 are ways of expanding ANALOGUE sounds into a 5.1 or more surround sound. Mainly on video's and TV's.

That is only a very quick overview and my NO MEANS the be-all-and-end-all of it before I get flamed :lesson:

Hope this helps. If you live anywhere near the Brackenll area Locky79 I will happil;y demo my evo's for you:D :smashin: :beer:

15. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ok it looks like its between the yamaha and the marantz.

but which is better pro and cons etc hehe, i know the yamaha does the HDTV but will the marantz offer this? which would you get? which of the two would go best with the AE EVO 3b?

i think ive made my mind up on the speakers so its gonna make my wallet cry :(

no i dont live anywhere near down south i live in middlesbrough or to be precise near there :)

16. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    locky79,

Marantz definitely has high sound quality both in movies and films, and the OSE version is finetuned to even higher musical quality. But it does lack some of the latest features which are becoming standard, as it is a last year's model.

The Yamaha RX-V650 doesn't have HDTV as it only has S-video input and it only upconverts composite to s-video as well.

RX-V750 can be had from Germany for around £294+delivery. It has very good allround qualities indeed (only very high scores on German, US and UK tests and quite a few members here have bought it from Germany), and I really think you won't find much difference between the Yam and Marantz. It also has the latest features as 7.1 channel amp, Automatic room calibration (without equlization though), audio delay adjustment, the best DSP programs in the industry, DPL-IIx, OSD via all inputs (composite, s-video, comp), learning lcd remote, zone2 feature, and the upconversion from composite & s-video to component, as well as 2 component inputs (HDTV ready).

You can compare 650 and 750 features here - http://www.yamaha-hifi.com/index.php?lang=e&country=UK&idcat1=1

You have many shop options - see my thread here - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=587031#post587031

Hificomponents and mediacheckpoint (they have a benefit of CAD - cash on delivery option) definitely delivers to UK, and I'm sure other companies ships too. Netonet are very big too, in particular Scandinavia. In General, the German online companies are as safe as the UK ones.

Lood luck on your choice ;D

Wasabi

17. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks for all the advice, looks like im gonna bend towards the yamaha 750 :clap:

i think we should vote wasabi for moderator :rotfl:

hows the trip back from hong kong my jordnot? :D

18. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Looks like your gonna seriously blow your budget Locky79 :D:devil:

19. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    locky79, in what coincidence did you use "jordnot" :rolleyes:

Cheers for the support ;D - but I think I stay away being a moderator - not enough time to monitor you children.

Wasabi

20. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    locky79, in what coincidence did you use "jordnot" :rolleyes:

The 6month stint in HK was excellent thank you - hm I better change it as I've been back now for a while.

Cheers for the support ;D - but I think I stay away being a moderator - not enough time to monitor you children.

Wasabi

21. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    well i was taught the word jordnot by some swedish friends :) hehe

you know what it means right :D my jordnot :rotfl: (breaks open the shell)

just been looking at some of those webpages you wrote out for me and they are mega cheaper than here!! how comes? i wont have to pay some stupid uk tax will i? also i dont mind paying the delivery as long as its cheaper than buying here.

ok this is what ive got.

TV: Optoma RD50 (yes yes i know NTSC problems....)
    DVD Player: Panasonic DVDS97EBS (modified to play Multi)
    speakers that i will be getting is AE EVO 3b

so finally what amp would you recommend for £300 i'll be using it for games and movies and perhaps sky. my room is about 20foot x 10foot

any suggestions?

ps i was thinking of the yamaha 650 but just wondering what other people would suggest also.

JORDgubbe!

22. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Ur friends seems to teach you all these cutie words :rolleyes:

UK has always been a market for brands where they could earn a bit more on their products than most other markets.

I'm afraid I'm not an expert on connectivity, so I let Hornydragon, MAV and others help you with that.

So my guess is that you want to route your audio signals only through the amp? So you have HDMI dvd player, normal sky or sky digital?, video console (which one?)?, from what I can see it means 3 optical input for your need (although, you could use the coaxial which many here favours as having a better sound).

Your room is quite large in terms of cubic air, and you do have some big speakers there, so if you want some serious power and drive your Evo's comfortably, you need a good amp here of cos ;p

Since you have sky, many sky owners experiences lip-sync problems, it would be advantageous to have audio-delay feature. Automatic room calibration is a good thing too (the trend is definitely that all brands are introducing this, and for the normal person it does bring benefits).

I've included a couple that goes over your budget but they do offer some really good stuff.

Marantz SR-5500 £380 - it has now boosts audio delay, rs-232c port for software upgrades and video up to component conversion (not sure if its both composite and s-video or just s-video), 2opticals&2coaxials, but no room calibration. Now in terms of home cinema sound quality Marantz has always been very good, but there aren't many owners atm on 5500, so no real verdict on the sound for yet. (the centre panel looks a bit ugly though).

Yamaha RX-V650 £260 - a very good price indeed. It has only composite to s-video conversion, no rs-232c port. But it does have Automatic room calibration (basic version), audio-delay, really good sound field programs, 4opticals&2coaxials. Yam x50 series has got very good opinions from the forum as well as all these German tests. 750 is £50 more and offers offers insignificant more power, and up conversion to component, lcd on the remote.

Pioneer VSX-1014i £430 - The price in Germany is so good. It is really fighting with the £500+ amps. Looking at the big Pioneer community here and avsforum, Pioneer is one of the absolute best brands around now, and this one has already won a big number of new owners. THX select (some say it is good, some say just marketing), advanced calibration system, 3opticals&2coaxials, but no audio-delay and probably not video up to component conversion and no RS-232C port. But most of all, superb quality components means super controlled sound and power.

Onkyo TX-SR602E £390 - a dark horse, as there are not many owners in UK (Onkyo has never put effort here but its changing), and not many tests yet as it is very new. But Onkyo has always had big support in e.g. USA, Asia, Scandinavia and Germany due to its reputation of producing amps with very high quality sound. It is also a pioneer in terms of innovating ideas. It is very complete with s-video to component conversion as well as 3component in, 4opticals&2coaxials, automatic room calibration, time bass correctors on the component out (I think its suppose to correct the video signals so sound and video starts on the same frame, perhaps that is why Onkyo doesn't have audio-delay?)etc.

Depends totally what you are looking for.

We'll see what others say ;p

Wasabi

23. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Wasabi has named some top class amps there, all of them will make their owners proud.

The 1014 has come in for some great praise, and at £430, it is probably the best buy in that list.

The SR7400 from Marantz is a bargain 2nd hand, some people are selling it for £399 :eek:, so might be worth hunting around for one. The SR5500 is also a nice machine, but probably not as good as the Pioneer 1014 for movies.

Can't comment on the Onkyo as I've never heard any, although their new amps are getting some good reviews.

24. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I did forget the Marantz SR-7400, which is very popular indeed for its brute power and quality of sound. It has most of the features as the new SR-5500 except the audio delay I think.

You could get it new, black only though, for £410 from Peter Tyson - http://www.petertyson.co.uk/marantzsr7400.shtml|p

Wasabi

25. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I found this on a swedish website www.canseda.se regarding 602 :

I translate it to English.
    Audio & Video writes on their December issue:

"Onkyo TX-SR602E. Best in test!"

Norwegian Audio & Video is comparing homecinema receivers. In the comparison between Pioneer VSX-1014, Yamaha RX-V1500, Onkyo TX-SR602E, NAD 763v2 and Denon AVR-2805, the Onkyo was pronounced the winner.

Glimmering allround amp. In musik in stereo we had to swap Onkyo and Denon back and forth before we finally decided that Onkyo was a nano part of a hair bettre. It has a bit more power in the deep bass and the picturesound is a tad deeper. Otherwise the klang between them is very similar. Onkyo drew the longest straw in the cinema sound where the receiver gave with confidence lots of power and combined with a very enjoyful handling with dialogue and film music. Talking about open landscape! Masterful!

"Onkyo TX-SR602E. Bäst i test !

Norska Lyd & Bilde jämför hemmabio-receivers. I jämförelsen mellan Pioneer VSX-1014, Yamaha RX-V1500, Onkyo TX-SR602E, NAD 763v2 och Denon AVR-2805 utses Onkyo till vinnare.

Lyd & Bilde skriver i sitt december-nummer:
    Onkyo TX-SR602E
    Glimrande allroundapparat.
    På musik i stereo var vi tvungna att koppla fram och tillbaks mellan Onkyo och Denon innan vi slutligen bestämde oss för att Onkyo var en nanodel av ett hårstrå bättre. Den har lite mer kraft i djupbasen och ljudbilden är aningen djupare. I övrigt är klangbilden mellan dom väldigt lika. Onkyo drog dock klart det längsta strået vid filmåtergivning där receivern övertygade med massor av kraft kombinerat med en mycket njutbar hantering av dialog och filmmusik. Och snacka om öppet landskap! Mästerligt ! "

Wasabi

26. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hmm.. sounds like im moving towards the onkyo for some reason.... :rotfl:
    maybe even the pioneer as i think they are great hell im still using pioneer speakers which are about 14 years old :smoke:

well i chat on a mirc channel called #anime and most of them are swedish
    hej hej

cant seem to find any places that sell the onkyo tried a few german sites but how am i suupose to fill in the details when its all in deutsch :/ maybe i should grab my self a german translator in the Mirc channel

27. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The ordering process, that I can't help you my friend, although, Ich habe drei jahren studieren, I habe alles vergessen.

Which Onkyo were you leaning towards to?

Just to mention that 2 new owners of 702 at the Swedish forum is very happy with it, with absolutely wonderful clean 2-channel stereo sound through its Pure Audio and the bass in both music and film is very powerful, ample and controlled.

But one thing I must mention though, is that I the Onkyos has audio delay feature (what a shame, the only important feature missing), so be careful and think through as didn't the Optoma has lip sync issues?

Regarding time base correctors feature, hometheaterforum FAQ talks about that it removes macrovision or other copy features. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/faq/faq.html

Oh, I think I should mention Yamaha RX-V1500 and RX-V2500, both has great prices from Germany. Has it all in terms of features, and a sound that is very popular among Swedes and Brits.

Wasabi

28. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ok onkyo has been crossed off the list now since i dont want to worry about lip sync. i have yet to notice any problems as of yet on my RD50 though.

looks like so far it looks like Pioneer VSX-1014i and ermm... yamaha 650 or 750 grrr at least its getting narrow down a bit now. i'll be able to find a german translator on the Mirc :)

hows things my Gul banan? :rotfl: i'll be heading off soon as i got work in 9 hours time from now

29. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ok ive decided i want to get the pioneer VSX1014 but one thing i want to know.... arent the plugs gonna be different? the uk has the 3 pin plugs and im sure europe use something different.

i hope the pioneer dont have a intergrated plug built in ( you know what i mean?) so at least i will be able to change the power lead just like my RD50.

can anyone tell me more about this? as it looks like im gonna order the 1014 from germany.

30. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    locky79,

Oh man, all these words that you learn, I must say, I never used them on people hehe.

The plug is not a problem, I just got plug adaptors from a pound shop (I have a vcr from Sweden, and a Z1 proj from Germany).

But have you noticed that 1014 doeesn't have audio delay either???

Wasabi