1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pana PWD7 base VGA input vs YUV

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by peezee, Nov 5, 2004.

1. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lil' sorry to open a new thread but I thought it'd be better off this way than lost in one of the numerous Panasonic displays threads... ;)

So, here goes: I just talked to a Panasonic France manager today, and had him say and confirm and then confirm yet again (guess I pounded enough on the question :D ) that, on the new 37/42PWD7xxx Pana displays, the *base* VGA input DOES accept a YUV formatted signal (just like it used to on the PWD6 series panels) - contrary to what has been said on this forum on several occasions. (also had explanations as to why they'd want to avoid removing YUV support, esp. for pro. applications etc...)

So, the question obviously here is: has anyone actually tried and tried again to have a YUV (component) type signal input into the base VGA connector on a PWD7 display, and is convinced it doesn't work. In which case I'd be interested to understand the details about the setup (source, ...) and what was observed on the display (just blank screen, error msg, truncated pic, whatever...).

So that I can then report it back to my contact @ Panasonic and determine what's actually going on...

TIA,

P.S. The Pana mgr also confirmed the PWD7 displays we're getting in Europe do have all the enhancements listed on the US/Japan sites (and not rebadged PWD6), i.e. 1536/2048 shades, slightly improved brightness, motion noise reduc. improvements, etc... :thumbsup:

2. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    hmmm, very interesting , so come on people, break those leads out...

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    Hello peezee

The 7 Series Displays have not been released as yet in the UK.

The info we have is from sources within Panasonic UK - who usually don't get these things wrong.

As before the info we have is that the 'Built In' HD15 VGA socket WONT work with YPbPr - whereas if you add in an additional HD15 Card (TY-42TM6PB) you can switch the card between RGB (RGBHV) and Component (YPbPr).

Equally the Euro version could be specified to accept YPbPr on the 'built in' HD15 socket.

As far as I understand it with the 'in built' HD15 socket you simply wont have a menu selection to switch between RGB and Component.

Best regards

Joe

4. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe, thanks a lot for the feedback. :)

Not sure what you mean by "not released yet in the UK" since I've seen several posts of people here that have received a PWD7 display at home... Now wondering, possibly all these posts could be from non-UK residents...? But don't think so. :confused:
    Btw, I'm referring to the SD panels, not the HD one's of course.

Anyway, hopefully some PWD7 owner will show up on this topic and give his/her inputs on this issue. I fully trust you in terms of what Pana UK is saying, a bit surprised that such detail functionality might be different in PWD7's for the "rest of Europe" :D but hey, we've seen more bizarre things before in the plasma world, haven't we...? ;)

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    Hello peezee

Watch out for that important D in the model designation!

Panasonic Consumer UK have released the TH-42PW7B but Panasonic Business Systems UK have NOT released the TH-42PWD7B.

Possibly someone with a TH-42PW7 can have a look and see if there is an option in the set-up menu to switch the HD15 to Component or not!

Best regards

Joe

PS Even more bizarre - Panasonic now have a joint venture with Hitachi and Toshiba to jointly develop new LCD screens!!!

6. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh, of course then there's the usual confusion around those :censored: part numbers... :rolleyes:

So let me try to summarize below and see if we agree:

TH-42PW7B ("B" stands for black?)
    -> "Consumer" grade display model
    -> already available in the U.K.
    -> does NOT support YUV via built-in HD-15 VGA connector

TH-42PWD7B
    -> "Business" grade display model
    -> not already available in the U.K.
    -> unclear if it supports YUV via buil-in HD-15 VGA connector

Is that what you're saying?

Anyway I was talking about the PWD7 model with my contact in Panasonic, actually he also said s'thing to the effect of the "Consumer" grade models disappearing in the next generation displays (PWD8)...

:eek: Panasonic and Hitachi on the same boat... what do we know? I'm not into LCD too much, but I'll be curious to see the results, might be interesting, at last Hitachi displays with Decent Image Processing Inside© ...? :laugh:

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    B stands for UK E is for europe......

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    Hello peezee

Horny's got it sorted with B denoting its UK spec/warranty.

As far as I can tell I don't expect any of the UK models to support Component (YPbPr) on the 'in built' HD15 socket.

I thought 'Consumer' would have ditched the 'Display' model this time around - and as your source suggests I fully expect that by the time an 8 Series Display is launched by Business Systems then 'Consumer' will be all Integrated PlasmaTV (Viera style)models.

The TH-42PWD7B from Business Systems will be available in Charcoal or Silver - having both finishes is new for Business Systems.

Here's the Press Release about the NEW IPS Alpha Technology joint initiative - http://panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/official.data/data.dir/en041029-2/en041029-2.html

Best regards

Joe

9. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Allright then, thanks Horny and Joe for clearing that up. Looks like your source "converges" with mine (convergence is always better for a source :laugh: ) on the "Consumer" grade displays disappearing, good! :)

The central "issue" is still a bit up in the air though... hopefully someone with a PW7 at home will be willing to try out to switch to Y,Pb,Pr on the built-in VGA input and see what happens.

Now, I'm seeing the PWD7Exx being referenced in more shops and on-line retailers here in France over the last couple weeks, maybe, just maybe it'll be possible to get access to one in a show-room here - at which point rest assured I'll make a definite check on that issue and post results here. ;)

Cheers!

10. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On another subject - I just got the Panasonic Plasma Displays catalog (it's in English, the last page says "Printed in Japan" and below a ref. number "EUR04S-02"... go figure! :laugh: ).

On the supported resolutions table (labeled Preset Input Signals... :confused: ), the TY-42TM6D DVI board column includes 480p60, 575p50, 720p60, 1080i60 as well as 640x480@60, 852x480@60, 800x600@60 and 1024x768@60 - better than was initially thought for the PW7's, however no support for HDTV à la Europe (i.e. no 720p50 nor 1080p50). :thumbsdow

So I asked my Pana contact about it (remembering Panasonic is a major sponsor of the HD Forum), and he first said that in France we should get all possible combinations of HD formats, namely 1280x720p @ 50 and 60hz, as well as 1920x1080i @50 and 60 Hz. [not a real surprise, LOTS of what we'll get at least initially wil be coming from the US (SuperBowl 2005 in HD, anyone? :D ).]

Then he went on to say that the catalog may very well be wrong but couldn't be more specific; well, actually Joe we already discussed this, have you been able to try 720p and 1080i @50Hz on a PW6/7 display via DVI?

P.S. One last thing, I asked about the 575p vs 576p issue I read about in this forum (i.e. potential pbm with the Pana not recognizing a PAL DVD 576p50 signal) but that didn't ring the guy's bell at all... so I shall presume we shouldn't worry about that either, hope I'm right...

11. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a scaler connected upto the VGA input on my PW7 and if I send it a component signal I just get a green picture and can't find anywhere in the menu's or manual that lets me change it to component input. RGB works fine.

12. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, thanks Tony, that clears up that one possibility - not the way I'd hope but at least now we know.

Now there's still the PWD7 series but I guess we'll have to wait until they're available to really know if they support YUV thru the built-in VGA input...

Cheers,

13. toby_smith

toby_smith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Isn't it just as easy to buy the PW7 with a component board - free from many retailers anyway, and then you don't have to worry about it?

Or perhaps I'm missing something....

14. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a couple of things I can think of:
    - the cost for the component board of course, ain't cheap
    - only 2 extension slots on 37" models, saving one slot can make a big diff.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yes for 37" consumer unit this featur would have been very useful..... Allowing for an Ex
    tra component board... HO hum you live and learn...........Infact connectivity on 37" PW7 with dual slot is exactly the same a 37" PW5....nevermind.....

16. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what d'you mean? That on the PW5 ("Consumer" grade) the built-in VGA input does not accept UV either?

So it would go like:
    -> PW5: No
    -> PW6: Yes
    -> PW7: No

One of these days Panasonic is going to get their act together, connectivity and supported resolutions -wise... :rolleyes:

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I'm not sure on the PW5 MAW will know....I think perhaps the PW5 did......

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    peezee

The UK SRP on a TY-42TM6AB (Component) Board is £82.25 - I cant see that being a deal stopper for most folk :)

Best regards

Joe

19. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HornyD, you mentioned the PW5 therefore my question trying to understand what you meant; obviously you weren't talking about YUV support via VGA on the PW5, so what did you mean by "Infact connectivity on 37" PW7 with dual slot is exactly the same a 37" PW5"? I suppose you know what you meant...? :devil:

Joe, that's right, but I could reply that I'd rather use those 82£ to rent many, many DVD's... :D Again it's reallly a combination of money AND lost extra slot that's annoying. I guess I could fix the latter by getting the 42" model, but then money-wise... :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, since size matters :rolleyes: , would you get a 42" (vs 37") for DVD and TV viewing (i.e. 576p mainly) with only 8 feet distance from screen...? Just curious...

20. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've had my 42" screen for a few weeks and it already looks "normal". I sit about 8 feet from the screen too (I assume u meant 8 feet and not 8 inches :) )

ZedZed

21. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops: Yes of course, thanx Zedzed... :rotfl:

22. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    Hello peezee

I'm with you on not wanting to spend cash when its not required and it does look like a bit of a blunder by whoever complied the Firmware for the PWD7 to not include YUV support on the HD15 Input.

I could happily view a 42" Display at 8' - others would find that just too 'in your face', where do you sit when you go to the Cinema?

Best regards

Joe

23. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    btw, I too am convinced that after a while the monitor wouldn't look that big anymore (esp. display type screens w/o speakers on the side), ditto for the picture.

In fact my question was also in terms of pic quality: with SD sources, i.e. DVD's and TV (let's say medium to good quality cable TV channels, movies/series/docus but also lots of sport: footie first of all, tennis, NFL, NBA), isn't 8ft too short a distance for a 853x480 42" screen in terms of seeing pixels dancing, video noise, banding and other artefacts...? In that respect wouldn't a 37" be more "reasonable"?

I'm also planning on higher def. signals next year (HDTV) and also have a PC to feed the plasma monitor, but I believe there shouldn't be any problem picture quality wise with this kind of sources.

24. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Joe,

yeah, it does sound silly doesn't it? In fact I'm compiling a list of questions to ask my Pana contact here (if you remember, he's the one who told me the built-in VGA base DOES support YUV, but he was talking about PWD7, not PW7) and will check that again with him.

Going to the Cinema I usually stand sort of mid-way, I really don't like sitting too far away from the screen, but sitting too close is a bit of a pain too. Hmmm... now that I think of it, given the choice b/w a seat too close and a seat too far, I'm almost certain I'd choose the one that's closer to the screen (esp. if there's a cute girl sitting next to that seat :D )...
    Very interesting that you asked though, and thanks, it kind of confirms my first impression... guess I like "being in the picture" or s'thing... :)

Again, as just stated in my prev. post to Zedzed, my question is also "what happens to picture quality when sitting at 8ft only from an SD 42" panel?" - be it the best of them! ;)

Thing is, I'm also considering an 1024x768 42" panel, but I'm not so sure these perform too well with an SD source signal (while they'd suit HD and HTPC better than an SD screen)...

25. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the PW5 screens had VGA and the Dual slot board which is available for the PW7 (but there were no options, it was that board or no board) hope this clears it up....

26. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, pretty clear now, thanks! Rather limited at that time, huh...? ;)

27. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Oh yes... But no a bad thing in some ways... there are now hundreds of different ways to connect the whole thing up.....nightmare for many new users and for Dealers....

28. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the time it gets ALL digital (screens, HC amps, DVDs, scalers, ...) things should be easier again... right? ;)
    Imagine that: a row of say 5 HDMI connectors, and that's it - and just a basic 5-to-1 digital mux. needed inside, piece of cake. No more funny connectors, no more Composite/S-Video digitizers and démods, no more VGA or RCA/BNC connectors...
    In fact it'll be a bit more complex to be sure, e.g. wireless, Ethernet, and other exotic digital connectivity (not to mention digital rights protection stuff... :eek: ).

Still a long long way til we get there though... :rolleyes:

29. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi can anyone help..............just about to buy this lot....then read the above threads.............for hooking up a dvd and sky digibox.

TH-42PW7B silver plasma
    TY-42TM6AB YUV Component Board
    JSB Technology RGB2VGA Converter
    3RCA to 3BNC cable
    VGA HD15 to HD15 cable

will this still work on the VGA input..as i've converted it?

should i just buy two component boards and convert the scart rgb to component direct to the plasma?

thanks, tam

30. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    Hello Tam

The 7 Series 'in built' HD15 socket is fine with the RGB2VGA converter - its the RGB2YUV converter that's not supported on the HD15 Input this time around.

Best regards

Joe