1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pana Plasma + what Home Cinema set?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MagX9, Jun 8, 2002.

1. MagX9

MagX9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to purchase the Panasonic Plasma TH42PW4 but I am getting conflicting advice from different shops as to what home cinema set to put with it (I don't currently have a DVD player and take my input via Telewest cable TV).

One shop recommended a Bose Lifestyle 12MK2 set with a mid range Phillips DVD player (can't remember the model) which cost a total of £1750. Another then recommended JVC TH-A5R all in one home cinema set at £400. They both sounded pretty good but most things seem to when they pump up the volume in the store! Any advice on what DVD/home cinema set I should get? Is the price difference really worth paying for? NB - Size is an issue as we don't want the living room dominated by speakers etc

Grateful for any advice

2. edinburgh69er

edinburgh69er

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congratulations on the PW4 ... I just installe mine last week and so far have been suitably impressed.

Your question however has a million answers.

Firstly, you've just bought a beautiful top of the range display, so I wouldn't scrimp and save on your components. I would get a decent DVD player which can successfully output to your plasma (S-Video is okay but the component input on the plasma has 5 inputs, usual 3 plus Horizontal and Vertical). I'm currently using S-Video until I) can find a suitable cable.

I purchased a Pioneer 737 which is a slightly older model, but I got it for a bargain price along with my Yamaha AZ1 amplifier when I was in Singapore three weeks ago.

Space isn't so much of an issue for me so I bought the KEF Q5s, with a KEF Q9c and the KEF 2002 sub/sat for the rears.

If I was you, and you like the style of the Bose, have a look at the KEFs. The system you want is the KEF 2005. Alternatively, if you don't like the sound try the similar product from Infinity. Bose is certainly expensive for what you get. B&W also make a great lifestyle speaker system which is new ... although they are a little bigger than the other products they do look great in the "right" room.

As for the amp, by something with enough power to drive the speakers, but more importantly get an amp which gives you the surround systems you'd like ... look out for amps with the latest DTS mutations, Dolby ProLogic II and such like.

Most important of all however is to hear them for yourself. Your ear will tell you what you like. If you don't notoce the difference between the cheap and the expensive, get the cheap. After all, it's you who's listening to it and paying for it.

Have fun shopping ...

Ali

3. MagX9

MagX9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ali - I am actually heading out to Singapore on Saturday for 2 weeks so will look out for the systems you recommended. By the way, any suggestions on where is a good place in Singapore to have a look?

4. edinburgh69er

edinburgh69er

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You lucky bar steward ... I wish I was still there.

Anyway ... if you're looking for a laptop checkout the Funan IT Centre. Otherwise, look for Sim Lim Square or Sim Lim Tower, the former being the best. It has around three floors of AV equipment and you'll find good prices.

However, the kit is highly marked up for foriegners, so unless you look local expect to pay close to the advertised price. Do your best to haggle though ... especially if you can take cash.

The AV1 is an excellent amp and only 3000 Singapore dollars. Much cheaper than the UK of Switzerland, where it hasn't even been released. Getting it home can be difficult though as it's 33kg so unless you're on business class forget it. Anyway, look in Home Cinema Choice for a good amp and take the model numbers with you .. the Denon 3802 would suit you perfectly for example and you'd get a great price obver there.

There is a better range of Plasmas in Singapore - including a cracking Daewoo buy. But the picture quality next to the Panasonic was so awful my girlfriend noticed it. Do yourself a favour and get the PW4 from somewhere like comeclickbuy.com

Best of luck with Singapore though ... if you want the name of the place in Sim Lim Square where I got my kit just mail me. edinburgh69er@yahoo.co.uk

Ali