1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pana Plasma - use tuner unit or amp for video switching??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by garyse, Mar 7, 2003.

1. garyse

garyse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help...

Opting for a Panasonic PW5 plasma. Fancying the Denon AVCA1SSE AV amp and a DVD player with component output. I have sky and I intend to convert the RGB to component in order to use the amp to carry out video switching.

Is it best to forget about the panasonic tuner board which fits into the plasma) and conect the component output of the amp directly to the plasma's RCA board and use the amp to switch video sources?

this is what i want to do but I sill want a terrestrial tuner...

can I still utilize the panasonic tuner unit or are there any other tuners with a component out...or can I convert the output of the Pana tuner to component some how in order to connect it to a component input of the AV amp.

Does the Denon convert s-video and composite input signals to component output?? - Unlikey!?!

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    why not a s/hand on digital box and another rgb>component converter ... better quality pictures and amp switchable ?

Jon

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    garyse

Just to clarify on the inputs on a Panasonic display:

With the RCA or BNC Terminal Board fitted you can connect in Composite or S-Video x 1,
    YUV or RGB Component video x 1 and
    RGBHV (15 pin VGA) x 1.

With the Tuner Terminal board fitted you can only connect the Panasonic external Tuner to the display and all video sources (NO PC input) then connect to the Tuner box.

I'd avoid the tuner - its a lot of money for a SCART switch and its not really ideal when your considering the quality of amp and DVD you've indicated.

The Denon AVC-A1SR amp functions as a very high quality video switch and also video converts from Composite and S-Video to YUV Component out and your already on the right lines with the JS Technology RGB2YUV converter for your SKY or other RGB sources.

if you want to have a terrestrial tuner and want to retain Teletext use an AverMEDIA TV box 3 (with Teletext option -£130) - it offers acceptable quality and retains the Teletext that many prefer over SKY text.

Trust this helps.

Joe

4. garyse

garyse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Joe!!

What you suggested is what I had in mind. Do you or anybody else no of any other terrestrial tuners... Have you used the AVerTV Box 3...it looks very computery!!

Are there any terrestrial tuners on the market with a component output...or should i be considering a digital terrestrial tuner and another RGB2YUV converter to run alongside the sky???

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Why not have a look at a DVD-R most have analogue tuners and many do component, Sony RDR-GX7 does and top end Phillips come to mind as does the Pioneer DVR7000. Panasonic HS2 doesn't which is odd for such a fully loaded machine! This will be a better long term investment and gives you the recordability for a high quality digital system, I can only gues how poor vhs would look on a plasma!

Happy hunting:smashin: