pana pb50 28"

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by othello, Oct 21, 2001.

1. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the a for mentioned tv.thing is i wanted to add a subwoofer 2 it as the in built 1 is a bit weak.i watch plenty dvd`s on a rv60 pana multiregion machine.thing is can i add a sub to the tv or dvd.i dont use a separate amp ,just the setup that is with the pb50.its 5.1 and then dts when possible.also i seem to get a very high pitched whistle noise .is this natural?is it the tube?it goes for a split second every now and then,other than that everything is great.cheers for any help.

2. rich1950

rich1950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woot
    Ihave just got the pan rv31dvd player to match above tv ,you can add a subwoofer to this ,but looking at ra61 , rv41 dvd players you cannot,i cannot praise the tv enough the sound is supberb,as for the whistle ,i have tried everything to make it do it ,his your tv set to any personel settings when it does it .Richard

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woot,

I have just recently bought the Pan TX32PB50, I too get this high pitch sound which comes and goes.

Woot,

I have just had my set replaced and surprise, surprise the fault is still there. I have phoned Empire concerning this and they are going to replace it yet again, lets hope third time lucky.

The fault seems to occur more often when Teletext is on, if that is of any help.

:-( Rashik

4. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my high pitch sound is as soon as you turn it on.when you are watching say motor racing where the screen changes quickly the noise is on and off constantly.i`ve got the engineer from shop to come and have a look.it`s coming from back of tele.not sure if it`s the tube.we got an old panasonic 4:3 tele and it makes a high pitch noise for about a minute until tube is warm.then it goes.but this 1 is constant even if i watch a complete film.thing is it ruins watching anything because as soon as theres quiet in the sound you hear the high pitch..cheers anyway. :rolleyes:

5. alex knight

alex knight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there!

i bought the PG50 panasonic about 4 weeks ago and i had the same problem with coming and going of high noise.
    it seems to have something to do with the light-changes (when lighter scenes appear, like someone turns on a lamp in a movie).
    i brought it back after 2 days and the technician told me that he can't hear a thing. he might have been right, because my father was also unable to hear it and i guess when you get older you get deaf on those frequencies.
    so i brought it back again and they now send it to Panasonic for repair. i'm now waiting about 2,5 weeks for it to return and it should come back next week.
    so let's see if Panasonic was able to fix something! i will let you know if it helped or if you better give it back and get another television!

cheers
    -Alex-

6. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well the tech bloke came and had a listen.as always it didnt do it as much.but he said he would advise shop to change it.they phoned today and told me they would change it on tuesday.just watched armageddon and noise was there again.so shall have to see what the new one is like.cheers for your input anyway guys.:cool:

7. alex knight

alex knight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to keep this thread updated:

my pg50 is still in "repair" at panasonic
    the technician of the store, where i bought the tv just called me and told me that panasonic was unable to find ANY fault, too.
    as i wrote above there was this hiss coming and going. and i guess they tested the tv in a room with 40 other tvs running, so it's clear to me that they are unable to hear it!

why is panasonic so ignorant about this fault, why can't they just say: yes, he's right, will fix it, even for all the future-tellys...??

so let's see if they will replace the tv with a new one or not...
    i'll let you know later!

cheers
    -Alex-

8. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just 4 your info.
    I have an old Tosh 25 63 DB (The set has a Panasonic tube)
    I also get the same sort of noise from the set, more noticeable when the set is first switched on (but if it’s quiet & volume is very low you can still hear it) it does seem to be something to do with the light / white backgrounds. The noise comes from inside the set, could it be that the set has to use more voltage or something to display a light background and the noise is connected to the transformer having to work extra hard….just a thought as I know nothing about the workings of TV’s
    Hope you get this problem sorted.

Regards Tel.

9. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i`m sorry for all you panasonic owners.i got my tele replaced on tuesday.[touches wood] so far this set has none of the sound probs i had with the other one.it`s a shame some of they companies dont just say yes we`ve had probs with certain models,and if you get one with a problem they should replace it with out even questioning it.hope your problems get sorted .it`s a great tele.good luck.:cool:

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be nice if they admitted it, but doubt if it'll every happen.
    If they did and the news got out they'd have evey single one the sold being sent back - not alot of profit in that.
    Personally, I have more time and respect for a company that is willing to accept problems and endeavour to resolve them I am also more inclined to continue to buy their product/from them if they adopt this attitude. I don't think I'm alone there either!

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had my set replaced and surprise, surprise the fault is still there. I have phoned Empire concerning this and they are going to replace it yet again, lets hope third time lucky.
    The fault seems to occur more often when Teletext is on, if that is of any help.

:-( Rashik

12. alex knight

alex knight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there again!

just to finish my part of this thread:
    PANASONIC was finally able (after 4 weeks!!!) to tell the shop, where I bought my PG50, that they can't find a problem. they can't get the problem that i had with this bloddy noise...
    i mean i don't hear ghosts or something, even my friends asked me if this noise is normal. i guess Panasonic has a repair center where 37 other tvs and lots of other stuff is running and therefore it's clear that they couldn't hear it! you'll need a living-room for that...

i told the tv-shop that i don't want that television anymore and they showed cooperative and let me choose another television.

i went for a Sony 32" FQ75
    i hope i made a good choice now!

greetings from germany!
    -Alex-

13. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hope you have more success with the sony.keep us informed m8 :p

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a service engineer to look at this second TV on Saturday 10th Nov, and was told that the TV had a faulty T801 part.
    I'm going to get the TV replaced as I mentioned previously.

15. mafw

mafw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have just discovered this forum and I am shocked by the number
    of people who have had noise problems. I bought a TX28PB50 in
    January which had this same problem. I am now onto another
    set since the first one could not be repaired. This set also has
    the problem and has had two engineers out to look at it.

I contacted Panasonic UK and they deny all knowledge of the
    fault. They must know surely? After all they must be getting
    most of them sent back.

I know their factory burnt down recenly - maybe they are
    recycling all the faulty sets to cope with the shortage :confused:

If this goes on much longer then people will stop buying
    Pansonic at all.

If anyone knows of any solution to this please let me know!

16. Hamie

Hamie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just got email from Panasonic saying there was a mod available for the set... To fix surprise surprise the buzzing sound...

On the phone they denied all knowledge of any buzzing, except some 'normal' tv sounds... And maybe an old fault with a 'few' TV's that had a noise from the speakers (Definately not mine, it's from the body).

My dealer MIGHT get 12 sets in this week. If so, I've got a new one on saturday (My 3rd). If that doesn't doit, I don't know what I'll do. I already swapped from a Sony because of crap LHS focus... Maybe Plasma?

17. mafw

mafw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hamie,

Thanks for the info. I have just phoned Panasonic again and
    they have now admitted that there is an issue and there is
    a modification available to the Power Supply.

They wouldn't release any more information about the fix.

Regards,

18. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my solution has been to turn the sound up loud :eek: the thing is i only noticew it when using simulated setting in sound.once i change to pro logic it goes away.as i manly watch dvds i have them in dts and have no probs.it is just annoying though.

19. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    guys guys guys

Yet again you misunderstand the High pitch noise problem, you will find it happens only during DARK images IE teletext.

There is a mod which results in no buzzing after the set has warmed up

Ive had my set modified but am waiting for a replacement. If the replacement is like the un-modified unit i will keep my current set

20. Hamie

Hamie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Hi all

My dealer woke me at 09:16 on Saturday (Late night, lazy B'stard I know :), with a new TX32PB50 under his arm (OK. It was two people, and it was in a box on the ground :).

The new one has no noises in normal operation so far... All looks good. :)

FWIW I wouldn't trust Panasonic after this as far as I could kick them. Both Sony & Panasonic need a damn good kicking over their current crap quality products. :mad: There's no excuse for palming a concerned customer (Very nearly an ex customer) off with canned crap comments about no known problems, when they know damn well they have a fault! It didn't take 5 minutes to find & fix & release a mod. They should have said they were workingo n a problem if that's what they were doing!

21. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could any people whom have had emails from Panasonic comfirming this fault and that a fix is availalbe please post or PM me a copy of the email, cause I've got the same problems (the buzzing is louder when in 100hz mode, not to bad in progressive) with the PG30 (its the nicam only version of the PG50), the PB is the revised version of this, so the same fix should apply.

Can the mod be done on-site or is the only way to send the set back for repair? Also does anyone know if a fix is available for the moire problem when in ntsc mode.

Cheers

22. mafw

mafw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. Please post them here.

They are coming to take my PB50 away tomorrow. (My
    retailer promised to exchange it but after several weeks of
    phonecalls they then refused. After complaining to my credit card
    company they have finally offered me a refund). Someone
    has now given me an ancient 20" set and I am going to use that
    from now on!

I was told verbally once when I called Panasonic UK that there was a repair for this fault however since that time I have been unable to contact the person who told me this. If anyone has any
    other evidence I would be very interested. I am still considering
    contacting BBC Watchdog about this issue - maybe we all
    should do this? If anyone is willing to forward their details to
    me (name,address,TV serial no,when/where purchased etc.) then I will forward this information to Panasonic and Watchdog.

Hamie: I hope your new set is still working! :)

23. PRICEY

PRICEY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got a TX36PB50,no high pitched sound with mine.

24. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    mafw, there is a fix but I still get the sound with mine until the set has warmed up.

I'm due a replacement next week but will refuse it if it's like my Pre-modified set

25. mafw

mafw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mansell,

I know there is a fix. However Panasonic seem to be trying to
    hide this fact. The Panasonic engineer that looked at my set
    did not know about it. Retailers don't seem to know about it.

After getting on to my credit card company I have finally had
    a phonecall from the retailer (HED) and they offered me a
    refund. I asked for a repair or replacement set but they
    refused.

BTW: I would strongly recommend everyone to avoid HED as
    they have the worst after-sales I have ever experienced. I
    even wrote to their MD and I never got a reply.

26. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can the mod be done on-site i.e. in my home or do they have to take the TV back to a workshop?

27. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    they took mine away for repair, it took about a week