1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pana NVDS30 and editing

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by davidgirecourt, Dec 29, 2002.

1. davidgirecourt

davidgirecourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right

Let say I buy a DS30 and my laptop is a 30Giga 1.2celeron XPpro. I only have USB ports.

Question 1: Will I be able to do some basic editing and/or do I need something else?

Question 2: I am also interested in using it as a digital camera but what about the quality?

Thanks in advance

David

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    To edit your video you will need a DV card to connect the camcorder to your laptop. XP does come with some VERY basic editing software.

Camcorders can be used for digital stills (that can be loaded onto a PC via USB (if camcorder has USB connection)), but the quality is not as good as a dedicated digital stills camera. For printing small pictures the camcorder will give reasonable results.

Mark.

3. davidgirecourt

davidgirecourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot Mark.

I think i will go for the Sharp VL NZ 100, seems easy to use and got good review in the press. Can maybe have one for £330.
    David

4. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360

To give you an idea of quality of stills from a DV cam, this folder has a number of images in it. All the pictures are stills taken from my Panasonic DV camcorder so should give you an idea of the quality you will get.

5. davidgirecourt

davidgirecourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate

Believe you me this is the quality I am looking for (nice place by the way)!. From what Camcorder did you get those pictures from.

David

6. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Taken using a Panasonic NV-DS8. I bought the camera back in June 2000 before I took this trip to Jamaica.

These pictures were taken using the serial cable that came with it for downloading stills only.

For some reason, when I use the stop capture in Premiere using Firewire, the quality in a bit better (sorry but no samples).

Keep in mind that this was a bog standard cam back in 2000. It doesn't have 3CCD etc so one would expect a current model to provide better quality still.