Pana HS2 which disk will it play?

irvspeed

Standard Member
Reaction score
Am considering getting an HS2 but was horrified to see a very long list of all the types of disk that it would not play. I think I saw it in the downloaded manual for it. As well as retail DVDs I would like it to play the typical cheaper copies that are widely avialable, CD's and copied CD's. I don't know how many variations there are and wouldn't mind if it didn't play them all as long as it played the most popular ones.

It will play dvd-r and vcd which are the most common formats. It won't play svcd or dvd+. It will play audio cdr, but not mp3 cdr. The biggest miss to me would be mp3 cdr.

Thanks for the replies. Yes it will be my only player as my very expensive Sony DVP-S735 Multiregion purchased for £420 2yrs & 2months ago is more or less a right off. Failed 2 months after second yr warranty via Barclaycard ran out. I am rapidly losing faith in Sony products, two friends sony DVD players have failed after approx 2 years!

Its still covered under the sale of goods act if you are in the uk. Take it back and demand your entiltlement of repair, replacement with equivalent or compensation for loss of usefull life. IE a 5 year reasonable life is assumed in law so after 2 years you should get 3/5ths of the cost of a new equivalent back.

Argos have certainly twigged their liability now and I had no trouble swapping a camcorder which was well outside its warranty. Places like comet are a little more iffy as the message has yet to get through to the staff on the floor. However the mangers know the law and if enough noise made in front of other customers you will probably get the required result.

I thought it was 6 years in England, 5 years in Scotland...

Originally posted by irvspeed
Thanks for the replies. Yes it will be my only player as my very expensive Sony DVP-S735 Multiregion purchased for £420 2yrs & 2months ago is more or less a right off. Failed 2 months after second yr warranty via Barclaycard ran out. I am rapidly losing faith in Sony products, two friends sony DVD players have failed after approx 2 years!

Thats amazing...pricey kit to be kernackered already. I bought a Yamada player ( Mustek i think, or Umax - cant remember ) for £65 and its been rock solid the last 2 years - ish. And it plays everything including Mp3 and is region free

Trouble is, I purchased this Sony from Futuretronics (UK) Ltd. They seem to be defunt now! or taken over buy another firm. It would be hard enough getting anthing out of the original Firm!

On the invoice it states that "items sold are subject to Manufacturers Warranty". Would that make adifference?

Your contract is with the shop, I guess if they are defunct you are stuck with the manufacturers warranty, unless they are willing to honour the sale of goods act.

You can't amend the law with statements on the invoice except where goods are seconds or damaged and this is a condition of the sale that those aspects aren't covered.

It won't play svcd

Actually it will play svcd. You just need to use the header trick when writting the svcd to get it to play (Basically tricks the hs2 into thinking it's playing vcd).

What is the header trick ferris57? Not that Iv'e got the HS2 yet!

Thanks for all the helpfull answers everyone.

just type "vcd header trick" into google, there's plenty of guides about.

But basically instead of reincoding the svcd to vcd (which takes ages as well as losses quality), you extract the mpeg from the svcd and rewrite the header for it using tmpgenc. Most dvd players then see it as a vcd and play it, allthough it is infact still a svcd.

I had alook @ goggle & it looks like this has to be done on aPC. Is this correct, ferris57? Thanks for the reply.

yes that's right. But as the svcd needs to be written on a p.c i'm not quite sure why that would be a problem? the hs2 doesn't write vcd/svcd's if thats what you were hoping ;) only plays them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom