1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pana AE300 v Sharp Z91

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ghidorah, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Ghidorah

Ghidorah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There

Has anyone out there look at the Panasonic 300 and the
    Sharp Z90/91 ?

And which one do they think is the best ?:confused:

All replys gratfully receved:D

Ghidorah

2. Captain chaos

Captain chaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im in the same boat as you my friend.
    I currently own a Sony 24" Widescreen TV, and have done since 1998, but now want something a LOT bigger.
    I was looking at a Tosh Picture Frame TV, but I thought; "why not go for a projector instead?"

I think im set on the Pan A300, the image quality ive heard is better than the Sanyo, but is more money.
    The thing is, I don't want to buy a A300 if 4 weeks down the line its going to start breaking down and developing faults.
    Although there doesn't seem to be the plague of mechanical melodies that seemed inheirant with the A100.

3. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Captain Chaos

There are now A LOT of AE300 owners out there (and even more over the big pond) and I don't recall ever reading about any problems with the Panasonic. Im not going to jinx mine by saying anything about it but you sure won't get the Lamp bug/No Start problem with it that seems to be plaguing a PJ costing £500 more. I've been more than happy with mine so far ;)
    I would be most annoyed if I were a HS10 owner and had to put up with that cr*p just because Sony couldn't be bothered to test it in the lab for 100 hours or so, that's all it would have taken for them to spot the problem. Now they've got tens of them being sent back, and annoying their customer base to boot.
    I'm not knocking the unit itself, it sounds a very nice machine, but would I hell want to own something for more than a year if it started playing up in the first month.:eek: :eek: I'd be panicking everytime i switched the damn thing on !

Sorry, for veering off course a tad :rolleyes: , I don't think you'll experience any problems with the ae300 mechanical wise. I do wish I'd seen a Z1 being demoed though as I can't help but think I'd prefer a touch of screendoor and a sharp image to one that seems a bit out of focus at times. Perhaps it's just the DVD's I've been watching :confused: The ae300 doesn't seem to be able to display faces very good in my opinion, deals with everything else very well though.

Ghidorah, sorry I can't comment on the Z90/91, I don't know much about that.

4. Ghidorah

Ghidorah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys,

I did own the Sony HS10 ( Two infact ). But both went wrong and second one was louder than the first so they went back for those reasons that you said.
    What was it going to be like in a years time. Lost all confidence in the projector.

I have demoed the Sharp Z91 at home and watched Spiderman, Ice Age and Treasure Planet on it.
    The picture is very good with good blacks but is not as clear as the Sony as you can just see the pixels but it is still not bad.
    But as I watch wide screen DVDs I think that a 16:9 Projector would be better.

Insp.gadget.
    Why do you think yours is out of focus ? Is that the smooth screen thing doing that ?:confused:
    And what is the colour like?

Ghidorah:devil: