1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pana AE-100 problem??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by The Cooler King, Jan 15, 2003.

1. The Cooler King

The Cooler King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I'm kinda new to this forum thing, so forgive any mistakes I may be making. I have one question regarding my beloved Panasonic AE-100. I've had it now for almost 6 months and I'm very pleased with it. I have however one question. On the lower side of the screen, I can see that the colours are browner than the rest of the screen. It is present across the whole lenght of the screen but it's height is only about two fingers.
    It is especially visible when the background is white.
    Does anybody now what this is? Is this normal?

Regards,

The Cooler King

2. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think this is the colour uniformity issue. I have it along the bottom and right side of my screen. Its only really noticable on certain scenes. The opening credit sequence of Black hawk down is a good one for this. Its not something I would send mine back for cause knowing my luck they would replace the lcd panels with new ones with dead pixels which would annoy me even more. If it gets worse though I might but the amount of discolouration seems to be static for the last few months so fingers crossed.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, & welcome to the forum.

Have you a digital camera? A picture would tell a thousand stories.

Brown across the whole lower edge - that's unusual. Is the image totally "on screen" - whatever screen you might be using?

Not seen this myself - maybe Tim or Sean G might have more info or seen this perculiar problem.

Come on Sean - unlike you to not help!

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,

Echo K's welcome to the forum.

Saw your query earlier today, and am puzzled (a common state of affairs.....;) ). You say the brown colour is right across the bottom of your screen, like a band about 1 - 2" in height ? Have I understood your description correctly ?

If so I don't think it is the usual "uniformity" issue that we see to one degree or another with LCD projectors. In my experience, the colour uniformity disparity normally shows up as an overall green hue on one side of the screen, and blue or red on the other - most noticeable in neutral coloured scenes - grey, or if you're watching a black and white movie, for instance. It hardly shows at all in heavily colour saturated movies (Monsters Inc, for instance), but is most noticeable if the projector is displaying a fully grey screen.

Assuming you don't know how to enter the service menu, press Options, select OSD, hold down the menu button for a few seconds and the on-screen menu will change. One of the available options will allow you to cycle between a full RED, GREEN BLUE and WHITE screen - do this and see if the brown colour persists acroos the bottom of the screen. If it does, then you may have a problem with the optical block and thats a return to Panasonic issue. If you don't, then it would appear to be some sort of uniformity problem that we haven't heard about.

Your post didn't indicate whether you are running on high or low lamp mode, the total running hours of the pj, or the normal length of time you run it for (movie length at a time, or greater, TV + movie + gaming/internet = > 8hrs !) These may not be relevant factors, but might point to long running at high temps, giving a greater probability of heat soak distorting the optics, or causing a burn on the filters or LCD panels.

If this colour band is across the bottom of your screen all of the time, then I would assume its an issue on which you should return the projector.

Sean G.

5. The Cooler King

The Cooler King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the replies!

I'll make some pictures, perhaps that'll help to clarify things a bit.
    I have to say that the band isn't always visible. Of course I only see it in 1.85:1 movies and even then it depends a lot on which colours are on the screen. I'll make some pics that show this as well. Furthermore, I also want to point out that I always run my Pana in low lamp-mode(room is 100% dark), but after a while (especially on 1:85:1 dvd's) the fan of the lamp revs up a bit.
    This happens after 30 to 45 minutes of viewing.
    Is this normal or does this indicate somehting wrong?
    Normally I watch 1 movie(+/- 2 hours) and some extra's(+/- 1 hour), so I guess that isn't a problem.
    Details of my config are:

- WIDE 480
    - PC(856x480 res) with Powerstrip
    - Cineplayer software player
    - ATi 7500 All-In-Wonder

Pics are coming asap.

Thanx again for the replies,

The Cooler King