1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pana 500 with Zinwell Brite-view

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TimF, Mar 20, 2004.

1. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a Brite-view at a bargain price from AV Sales - essentially to improve picture quality from Sky+

I wasn't expecting to use the "component" output.....but..... after experimenting and configuring 1080i output on the Brite-view stumbled upon a stunning picture on the pj - don't really know why its so good on this setting but there you go?

Feeding DVD (via AV amp video switching) gives a better picture than direct prog scan from DVD player alone also.

I would recommend this combo to Pana 500 owners - one proviso - got to be a widescreen image as 4:3 input is squashed and there is way to adjust aspect ratio.

Cheers

Tim

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's interesting.................. maybe scaling 1080 to 720 is one of the "sweet-spots" in the projecors scaler..................

Sean.

3. andrew constant

andrew constant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a AE500 to, can u tell me what ,and how much differance the zinwall made to your picture. thanks

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm really at a loss as to why you're seeing any improvement.

You're basically sending out either s-video or component from your DVD player to the Briteview, upscaling the image (to 1080i), feeding that via component to your PJ which then needs to downscale & deinterlace to 720p.

Granted the scaler may be better at downscaling but it does seem strange that the sequence above yields a better picture than progressive component direct.

:smoke:

5. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PJ reports signal received as ""HDTV50" - which I presume the PJ likes (1920x1080).

Progressive component direct (525p or 625p) means a display resolution of 720x483 or 720x576.

Maybe thats it - or I am misunderstanding something - whatever its a cracking picture!

One thing I am not sure about is that the picture is a little smaller than direct progressive leaving a 1 inch gap top and bottom of screen?

All the best

Tim

6. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, this may be an older post but if anyone's still looking...

I've bought a PTAE500 pj and I've found it's pretty impressive by itself. I've been told that a dedicated scaler / de-interlacer would yield a better picture so I'm looking at this Zinwell Brite-View model too.

I'm interested in your discovery as I would have thought that the best option would be to feed in component and up-scale to 720p so that the the output exactly matches the native resolution of the pj.

What's it like using the other inputs as I'd probably want to use it for Sky, Gaming and Video sources.

7. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Brite-View particularly for Sky+.

I use the s-video input - and the improvement is noticable - currently don't use the composite input.

Only problem is widescreen only at 1080i.

Don't think you can get 720P - I may upgrade to Iscan at some point and then sell the brite-view (just seen a friends set using this and its phenomenal!)

Cheers

Tim