• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pana 42PZ70....Very poor picture !!!!!!!!!

E

ex sky man

Hi all, its been a while........

Took delivery of a 42Pz70 this saturday, and its going back for a replacement asap.

The picture is ok but faces and dark scenes look as if there made from different contours of colour, a bit like an ordanance survey map....

I took some picutures for the service guy at my local pana dealership to look at a he said that he's heard of it in older models but never a new PZ set.

I'll try to post these later....anybody else had this ??????

E

ex sky man

Attachments

• Image058.jpg
    Image058.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 294

ched

I havent got a Panny but most people no matter what manufacturer say make sure Noise reduction is OFF, Contrast+ is OFF, and any other 'picture encancements' are OFF. Set the contrast, brightness and colour to 50-60%, then see what the picture seems like?
Let us know how you are connecting things, ie if you are using standard sky then use fully wired scart and set output to RGB, plug the other end into an RGB enabled scart socket on your TV.

Please post back and we will see if we can help as the PZ70 has a great reputation.

E

ex sky man

yes, all inputs are the same..its worse on dark, shaded scenes.

settings are at 'cinema' for now

picture seem to open ok at this end..

E

ex sky man

right....

Using a TVonics DVR connected via monster RGB Scart, the problem is the same on intergrated tuner and HDMI using a 1080i XBOX 1 (NTSC Chipped !)

All settings are 50% and PNR is off !!!

ched

Sorry to say it looks like you have things setup right so it maybe you do have a duff panel. Lots of people say how good a panel the PZ70 is, so I think you should investigate a replacement.
Just as a double check could you take your DVD player, monster cable and a DVD of your choice to the Pana dealer to try on the shops PZ70 and just make sure that it is the panel at fault. At least that would give you confidence to just have the faulty PZ70 replaced with a new one if the shops picture is good on your DVD player.

Could you confirm that your DVD player is set to output RGB? Sorry just checked and the TVonics is a Freeview recorder, silly me. We may be getting somewhere, Freeview is not great at picture quality, make sure you look at BBC1 because this channel seems to have the best picture/highest bandwidth. 1080 HD panels arent renound for SD pictures, but I dont think you should be seeing colour banding and stepped graduations. Do you have a DVD player that you could try?

PS Just noticed you said 1080i XBOX 1!!!!!!!! I wasnt aware an XBOX 1 could have hdmi? I use an XBOX with XBMC and although it can upscale it has problems with 720p let alone 1080i. I use the component cable.

Timbo69

Standard Member
In no way is this related but what the hell I'll post anyway. I had a Dell 18" flat panel PC monitor with exactly the same symptoms. Interestingly, it only manifested when fed by a DVI connection, it was fine with bog standard analogue VGA.

raverdave

Standard Member
Was this happening as the camera pans across or up and down the screen at medium speeds?

If so it that seems to be a common flat screen problem of resolution loss on panning shots, most sets i've seen to it to some degree or another

Ian Dudley

I only watch SD (and the odd upscalled DVD) on my PZ70 and appart from one or two specific programs which appear to have poor transmission quality, I've not seen any noticable banding of the kind described. I also play an Xbox 1 on it (via the side panel S-video socket) and don't have any problems with PQ.

The only time I've seen a noticably bad picture that isn't due to the source material is when I feed the PZ70 a composite signal (as opposed to S-video, RGB or HDMI), in which case the PQ is really quite bad with lots of noise and ghosting.

E

ex sky man

Was this happening as the camera pans across or up and down the screen at medium speeds?

If so it that seems to be a common flat screen problem of resolution loss on panning shots, most sets i've seen to it to some degree or another

Happens all the time, mainly on face shading or shadows.
Its not the MPEG type problem that plauges freeview and sky its much worse.

I actually sub contract for the shop that supplied it to me and there taking it back for another PZ when stock arives :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom