1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pana 32PL10

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by KrisJ, Apr 26, 2002.

1. KrisJ

KrisJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new Pioneer DV77 System is now showing up serious flaws in my old Sony Nicam TV as it is 12 years old. Anyone have experience good or bad on the Panasonic TX32PL10 set?, as I am thinking about one of these.

Thanx

KrisJ

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Kris,

I have the 32PF10 which the 32PL10 is based on (i think the PL10 is just a slightly updated model).

The TV is brilliant which a top picture and great features. If you are looking for a TV with great sound look elsewhere though - I only bought the TV as a monitor for my home cinema and use external amp/speakers etc...

I still think Panasonic are one of the best at making TV's...but maybe i'm biased :D

JJ

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have the 32" Panny PL10 and I'm extremely unhappy with it. The picture is soft, has tons of grain, flashes and flickers all over the screen (I thought 100hz was supposed to stop that!) it has the black bands that all Tau tubes have. When I read the What Hi-Fi and Video reviews of this set I just don't recognise it as the model I have :(

Does anybody out there have a PL10 that does look wonderful so I can phone up Electrical Discount UK and tell them that there is something far wrong with mine?

Gordon

4. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi, i have a tx36pf10 & i am also dissapointed with pic quality. dvd pics not as wounderfull as other people go on about. tried all different cables, different signals & had dvd player tested on a loewe tv & pic was far supperior.i too bought this on the results off a mag test, test your self before you buy.

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic 36PF10 for HT use and a 32PF10 for bedroom use. Can't fault either TV at all, although if anything the 32" appears to have slighly more 'depth' to the picture.

I only realised just how good these sets are after thoroughly using the Avia set-up DVD on both.

Nobody seems to mention it but there's a scene in the 'Stigmata' DVD where Arquette and Byrne are sitting outside a cafe near a flower stall and I swear the 3D effect is literally breathtaking.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Panasonic TVs.

6. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi, this is why i thought the loewe tv that i tested my tosh 210e dvd player on was a far better pic. the colours where solid but the 3d effect that you mentioned was noticable while it is not noticable on my panny.

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe the Loewe had been calibrated/set-up better? I would make a guess that out-of-the-box they would generally look better as Panny are more mass market/superstore optimised.

I recall seeing TPM on a Loewe TV via an Arcam DVD player and the pic was terrible, it seemed to add a very off-putting outline to all the CGI and special effect areas of the film. The colour looked slightly un-natural too.

However, Loewe TVs do seem to be good quality other than the particular demo I saw.

I also use a £90 RGB only Ecosse SCART lead which I find does make a huge difference to the PQ. I have to say that now I've achieved that 3D look through Avia, I'm noticing it more and more.
    Watched 'Joyride' (aka 'Road Kill') the other night and the scene where Walker and Zahn stop at the petrol station looked awesome. There was also a part in the first motel sequence which was heavily drentched in neon reds and blacks and it too looked fantastic.

8. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi, i invested in a qed rgb only scart to see if that helped, only slight pic improvement no 3d. what is this avia set up you mentioned?
    thanx,
    andy.

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Avia is a DVD which contains a range of in-depth audio and video tests and set-up corrections.

Ever seen the THX Optimode feature? Avia is like a far superior version of that.

Using the video tests you can 'tune' your TVs settings to the match the Avia suggested correct settings. It does make a huge difference. I noticed DVD and VHS PQ was significantly improved.

My only concern was with the colour saturation test which I couldn't get to really match what Avia was suggesting.

As a rough guide, my current settings after using Avia on the 36/32PF10s are as follows:

Contrast: 70%
    Brighness: 57.5%
    Colour: 52.5%
    Hue: 45%
    Sharpness: 10%

Colour balance: normal
    NR: on
    AI: off

I also think the Ecosse Armageddon SCART helps - worth buying for it's name alone .:cool:

That said, Bonesy has a 32PF10 and the setting options available on his are different to mine. I'm fairly sure mine is a UK spec model and his is Euro spec so it may depend which version you have.

Also could be that some of the more technical, engineer settings are skewed on your set. To change that you'd need a pro-setup carried out or go through the service menu yourself (I've found instructions via Google for this, though haven't attempted it myself as I feel there's no need).

Hope this helps a little anyway

10. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Cant agree enough with juboy...the PF10's are great TV's once they are setup properly (AVIA is very good for this as mentioned)...

Whether this brilliance is the same in the PL10 is difficult to say..unfotunately I haven't seen them together, but thought they should be very similar in terms of picture...

Maybe other PL10 owners can be more informative? :confused:

JJ

11. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112