Pan UB820 hdmi audio out - direct to soundbar???

mac74

Hello all, can the above be done? I have a LG CX tv and it dosen't support DTS, i have a lot of movies on standard blu ray that has this sound format and will play in 2.0 stereo only. I have also just bought a sonos beam 2 soundbar which dosen't do DTS ether but it will soon with a firmware update (i hear). So with the player having 2 hdmi ports out, can i connect one to the telly for video and the audio one to the soundbar (when its updated for dts) ? Or any ideas?
Thanks m

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Hello all, can the above be done? I have a LG CX tv and it dosen't support DTS, i have a lot of movies on standard blu ray that has this sound format and will play in 2.0 stereo only. I have also just bought a sonos beam 2 soundbar which dosen't do DTS ether but it will soon with a firmware update (i hear). So with the player having 2 hdmi ports out, can i connect one to the telly for video and the audio one to the soundbar (when its updated for dts) ? Or any ideas?
Thanks m
Yes. That is what they are for.
HDMI 1-->TV
HDMI 2-->soundbar

However looking at the Beam 2 manual it only shows 1 HDMI port so if that is connected to the UB820 you won't be able to have an eARC connection allowing TV audio to play through the Sonos.
it also lacks an alternative of optical or coax input.

The Sonus Beam 2 is unsuitable for use with a TV and player due to only having one hdmi port and no other inputs. I'd suggest returning and getting something else. Unless that is you are happy to use the TV speakers for TV audio with the sonos only being used when using the UB820.

Last edited:

mac74

HDMI 1-->TV
HDMI 2-->soundbar

However looking at the Beam 2 manual it only shows 1 HDMI port so if that is connected to the UB820 you won't be able to have an eARC connection allowing TV audio to play through the Sonos.

The Sonus Beam 2 is unsuitable for use with a TV and player due to only having one hdmi port and no other inputs. I'd suggest returning and getting something else. Unless that is you are happy to use the TV speakers for TV audio with the sonos only being used when using the UB820.
I was thinking of getting some sort of two into one hdmi socket, to go into the sonos? as im only going to have either the player on with the tv, or tv only (earc to soundbar).

mac74

HDMI 1-->TV
HDMI 2-->soundbar

I cant get the 820 to output dts? when i look at the iphone it reads 2.0 stereo? The software is up to date on it so it should play DTS?

mac74

The beam 2 sounds great when its DD atmos and id rather keep it, unless there is a better option for me????
Also is standard DTS a lot better than stereo anyway?
Its a real shame though that i didn't know about the lack of DTS on the sonos, because i have a large collection of films in dts hd. If i did send it back any suggestions?
Maybe i could buy another dts soundbar as well as keeping the sonos? And run it from the 2nd hdmi port on my pan 820 disc player? I dont know, its driving me mad, please help!
Many thanks

Last edited:

mac74

HDMI 1-->TV
HDMI 2-->soundbar

"I'd suggest returning and getting something else"

Like what? what would you suggest?

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
"I'd suggest returning and getting something else"

Like what? what would you suggest?
I don't know anything about soundbars but at a minimum you seem to need something with at least 2 HDMI (or 1 HDMI and optical/co-ax) inputs, eARC, that can handle at least True HD and DTS HD, and possibly atmos too. 4K passthrough would also be nice to have

Best soundbar 2022, including Dolby Atmos wonders and cheap soundbars
Some of the recommended soundbars there fit requirements with 2 HDMI, DTS support, 4K passthrough, eARC. Two cheaper than your Sonus (Sony HT-G700 and Panasonic SC-HTB01) and rest more expensive

In the UK, where the pricing is virtually the same, the choice between the Sony HT-G700 and Sonos Beam largely comes down to preference. If you’re interested in music just as much as watching TV, then the latter is a great choice, especially if you’ve already invested in the Sonos multi-room ecosystem or Apple AirPlay 2 speakers.

But if movies are your focus, the Sony HT-G700 gets more out of the latest blockbuster or streaming show by delivering an immersive experience from object-based audio soundtracks like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, while its separate subwoofer produces deep bass you can feel.

Sony HT-G700 vs Sonos Beam: Which mid-range soundbar is best for you?

If you decided DTS was not so important there would be the option of getting a good 4K HDMI switch and use that instead with your Beam.

mac74

Thanks 4 the above

Can anyone tell me how i can use the secondary
audio hdmi out on the ub820? i have the tv connected via the audio/video hdmi 1, and the hdmi 2 audio out to soundbar. BUT the tv sound comes through not the audio hdmi out to soundbar?
So i want tv picture only, and sound into soundbar. Thanks m

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Thanks 4 the above

Can anyone tell me how i can use the secondary
audio hdmi out on the ub820? i have the tv connected via the audio/video hdmi 1, and the hdmi 2 audio out to soundbar. BUT the tv sound comes through not the audio hdmi out to soundbar?
So i want tv picture only, and sound into soundbar. Thanks m
Check to make sure you are using the correct HDMI ports on the UB820. It is easy to connect the wrong way round, I've done it in the past. The 'audio' port also carries video, unless you change settings for it to audio only, so you can think you have selected the main port.

mac74

Check to make sure you are using the correct HDMI ports on the UB820. It is easy to connect the wrong way round, I've done it in the past. The 'audio' port also carries video, unless you change settings for it to audio only, so you can think you have selected the main port.
ive tried everything? i can't get the pan player to output sound via hdmi direct into soundbar

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
ive tried everything? i can't get the pan player to output sound via hdmi direct into soundbar
Is this with your sonos beam? You may have set the audio to analogue output in which case HDMI audio is disabled. Can you post a photo of your UB820 sound settings and the Digital Audio Output settings.

mac74

Thanks 2.2mid, yes the beam2. Im going to call the panasonic helpline 2moro to see if they can help?

mac74

Called panasonic, i tried all their settings, no luck.
Called sonos, and they tell me the panasonic player cannot be connected direct to the soundbar, it has to go through tv first!

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Which is why I’ve always thought Sonos kit not worth the bother. No second HDMI port, no DTS support.

A Canton 10 is deffo work a look, more so if you can find a generation 2 model, which supports both DTS and eARC. The earlier model supports DTS, but not eARC, but both have 3 HDMI ports.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
How? If you're sending DTS through your TV from the BR player and neither the TV or bar supports DTS, what are you actually getting? Have I missed something along the way?, unless your TV offers eARC maybe?

mac74

Optical out on the pan ub820 player directly into the beam via the hdmi to optical converter = dts 5.1 surround on the s2 app. Its the only way to do it, as like you say you cant go through the LG tv .

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom