Pan TXP46GT30 okay to use as a monitor?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by djsim, Dec 6, 2011.

1. djsim

djsim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

My head is wrecked. Going for an LCD, no wait....Plasma, no LCD, and now I am back to plasma :rotfl:

Do you think the above is okay to use as a monitor (via HDMI) This is the only thing that is holding me back on a plasma TV/ I know this TV has a big fan base here and would love to know their opinions:thumbsup:

My current setup:

LCD 32 " as a monitor . I sit about 2 meters from TV and its wall mounted.
    I also have a SD Sky and PS3, so I hope to be getting into 3D gaming.

I was going to go for passive as the gaming mode is a great idea (in 2 player gaming, both players see full screen) But this shouldnt be the selling point.

I have narrowed it down to the TXP46GT30 or Philips 47PFL7606 / 7696. The latter doesnt have much reviews here.

Well lads...its over to you....I want to get on of these at the weekend, so all feedback is great.

Thanks

2. thedotlal

thedotlal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you will be using it for general computer use, then definately not, you will almost certainly suffer from screen burn. For a computer monitor stick to LCD or LED.

3. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Is it a gaming/TV monitor or a Windows type monitor - if the latter image retention is possible, burn extremely rare with a Panasonic plasma. If the latter, yes, LCD better but you'll need to consider the potential frailties of the tech

4. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    If PC use is just gaming and films then its fine, otherwise go LCD.
    Split screen gaming is great on my 46"GT30, equivalent of a gaming monitor each.:)

5. djsim

djsim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most of my pc usuage is for gaming \ streaming matches and watching movies, generally stuff, defo not for business usuage :)

That's why I picked the Philips models, they are 400hz and 600hz which are as good as a plasma? I want a plasma picture on a LCD set.

oh the choice... That's why its good to get your opinions.

6. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    You wont get a plasma picture on an LCD. Motion wise 600hz is largely marketing on plasma, plasma has good motion to start with.

7. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I think he is referring to the Hz rating on the Philips LCDs - they don't make plasma (nowadays) ;)

8. djsim

djsim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, was talking about the Philips sets.

Both the tvs, come in around the same price so its just a matter of using the tv as a monitor.

9. giangdarookie2

giangdarookie2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    all lcd TV are usually natively 60hz also philips 400hz and 600hz has nothing to do with the panel refresh rate, it just means it has MCFI of some sort.

so dont let em fool you :)

10. djsim

djsim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, so there fecking advert saying free motion blurring while watching fast moving images is a load of crock. Tut tut....philips.

11. giangdarookie2

giangdarookie2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    indeedm if motion resolution is priority then plasma is currently the champ...

12. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    No, the motion handling will be better than without all the processing, but you can get other 'features' such as artefacts and 'soap opera' effect as a result...plasma handles mtion without all the processing but can have frailties when used as a PC screen - although it sounds like you are using it as a TV rather than a traditional monitor (the PC provides the material rather than a tuner, console etc)

You need to go demo and decide

13. Shoki

Shoki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I'm in the same boat and keep jumping back and forth between the gt30 and various lcd's, which games do you spend most time with on the pc? as that might make your decision a bit easier. I play alot of World of Warcraft (yes yes its ok to laugh) and the thing that worries me most is having the action bars burn into my screen, although have come to a solution which not ideal should go some way to alleviate that problem.

14. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Yes hence me mentioning the hz:p. Plasma work in a different way with motion to LCD. Not only do they have a different look, motion is handled in a very different way. The extra processing on LCD to reduce blur as vickster says can produce artifacts, as can the 600hz on plasma.

djsim this is a good read http://www.best-3dtvs.com/guides/what-does-600hz-sub-field-drive-mean/ When you know how the tech works the numbers dont matter as much.

15. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    How long you playing it for and how frequent? I dont play the game as I know most my life would be lost to it lol if playing several hours every day youd need to run the scrolling bar and make sure you watch plenty of other content. I the plans to use the set just for WOW and other games you will get a lot of IR. I game a lot on my GT30 but also watch films ans a lot of TV so its not an issue.

16. Shoki

Shoki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Well the game can take over and 6 hour sessions aren't out of the question, but surely that can be the same for consoles aswell? I'm sure there are people on here who hammer COD for hours on end, although the difference I would guess is you dont have your hud permanently on the screen for hours in COD or others, as being killed or as the game ends you'd be viewing something else, even just for a few seconds. The way I have WoW at the minute basicaly all of my ui is hidden untill I target something, I use an addon which has a swirly moving effect around the mini map, although its still in a static position the object itself isn't static if that makes sense, not sure if that would help mind, the only part I havent figured out is my health bar which I think would definitely cause problems. I do actually play ather games on the ps3 and 360 just WoW takes up far too much of my time at the moment.

Being sensible I should forget about buying the panasonic and just look for a good lcd, but I just keep getting drawn back to the gt30 :(

17. djsim

djsim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is great lads, thanks for your help. I basically play fast paced games, FPS, Pro Evoltion etc.

I swear lads, I have bought cars and put less consideration into those than buying this fecking TV :lesson:

Here is my breakdown

PC Usage: (most of the Time)
    a) Playing Emulators
    b) Watching TV
    c) Surfing the Web
    Win - LCD ?
    PS3
    Win - LCD\Plasma?
    SKY
    Plasma
    ?
    Retro Console Gaming via scart: (Saturn, Jag, Commodore 64, SNES etc etc)
    Hmm, this could be a hard one :laugh:

Thanks for the link Scooby2000, very good read.