PAN: TH42PZ80B versus TH42PZ85B

beanyboy

Standard Member
OK I know these versus's have been done to death but I have a critical decision to make here and have narrowed it down to these 2 sets as mentioned above.

I have to make an urgent purchase and would like ,if possible, some straight answers as which is the better set out of these two.

Thanks guys

RandomGuy

Novice Member
OK I know these versus's have been done to death but I have a critical decision to make here and have narrowed it down to these 2 sets as mentioned above.

I have to make an urgent purchase and would like ,if possible, some straight answers as which is the better set out of these two.

Thanks guys
Then you probably know the old arguments.

Pros for Z85 over Z80:

1. Aesthetics: Look (?), and better placement of 3rd HDMI (its on the front of the Z80, which tends to P.O. a lot of people)
2. I.F.C: Fill in those missing frames! Very mixed bag from the user consensus. 90% of the comments I have read say that they leave it off. So did my local HDTV dealer. Makes things super-smooth, which is going too far for many.
3. Sound: I believe the Z85 has beefier speakers (and a sub-woofer) built-in.

As far as I know, thats it. An objective way of looking at it is that with a Z85 you only get the benefits for the price premium which - like I.F.C - are optional rather than mandatory.

In every other way, the Z80 matches the Z85 in terms of picture processing, technology etc. So its your call depending on the best price you get.

I made the same call - went for a Z80 when it was released. Although I wish I had waited longer before making my purchase (inexperienced luxury items buyer ;)) I have no regrets about it. My TV has a beautiful picture and I currently cannot care less about that 3rd HDMI. I.F.C is a nifty feature, but hardly essential, and sound-system wise lets just say I will wait and get a proper home-cinema sound system first.

Hope this helps :)

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
PZ85 all the way. Once your used to IFC you can't watch without it. Set looks hell of a lot smarter aswell.
You do seem to be one of the few people who like IFC.Most people see it for the first time and switch it off, never to use it again.

mattyboy_72

Novice Member
I think I'm just one of the few people who post 'positive posts'. You'll always get more negative than positive posts, that's just human nature. As for IFC, it takes getting used to but after a while watching things with it off is like watching old cine film, you notice the gaps like never before.

bigfecker

I was going to buy a TH46PZ85B, but then I decided after a viewing I did not get on with IFC so I've gone bigger and gone for TH50PZ80B, will be here next week :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom