1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pan & scan question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Clarkey, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ive only got a 4:3 TV, and 2.35:1 DVD's are rediculous with huge black bars top&bottom and the screen is tiny as a result. I dont want to pan&scan it al the way to 4:3 cos I will lose almost half of the picture. Id like to make a compromise, and just pan&scan it to 16:9, this way I dont lose anywhere near as much of the sides and the screen is much bigger. I know I can do this on my PC but can you do it on a DVD player (sony NS300)?
    Thanx

2. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    nobody then?

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the DVD menu can can select 4x3/16x9 this tells the DVD player what TV you are viewing, thus selecting the correct ratio for your TV. As for selecting the various ratios this is normally a feature on widescreen TV's.

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD is a format which was primarily aimed at the home-cinema enthusiast who wanted to have the original aspect ratio. The format then became mainstream (more than ever expected) and the original aspect ratio has been maintained.

If you don't want to watch the whole film, then your best bet is to stick with VCR into the next 4:3 option comes along. (D-VHS a possibility there)

5. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

Some dvd players (usually the cheap ones) have a zoom function which would probably allow you a good compromise.

Brian

6. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hmm oh well It aint that bad if u sit up close ill put up with it, some films are in 1.85:1 which is better, I dont want full frame though cos thats BS