Pan & Scan problem with Pioneer DV-444

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by al_the_man, Sep 11, 2004.

1. al_the_man

al_the_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Am new to these forums and am looking for a bit of help regarding the pan/scan feature on my Pioneer DV-444 player. It is hooked up to a 21" Toshiba TV via a SCART cable (not all 21 pins appear to be present on this, but it was bought as such and works).

When I select the 4:3 pan & scan option, the picture is increased in size height wise (the black bands are reduced in size) but the sides of the picture are not chopped, meaning the aspect ratio becomes distorted.

What am I doing wrong??

Thanks in advance,
    Alan
    (apologies if this has been posted in the wrong area!)

2. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not sure if it's the solution, but I would certainly get a fully wired, 21 pin scart lead, as my main priority.

Just a thought, but have you tried with both Fullscreen and Widescreen DVDs?

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +10,589
    Hi

Welcome to the forums al_the_man.

We have dedicated forums for each type of question. Yours is more suited to the DVD players forum. Moving there, you should get more response.

Greg

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,057
    If you are talking about the 4:3 pan & scan option in the player's setup menu, then this feature will only work properly on anamorphic widescreen DVDs which have a pan & scan code signal mastered on them.......and very few do. What it should do in the absence of such a code signal, is generate a letterboxed image.

However, that doesn't fully explain the shape of picture you are describing.