Pan PTAX100E resolution question.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AntonioMS, Apr 28, 2007.

1. AntonioMS

AntonioMS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've kind of been discussing this in another thread but thought it be time to bring it here as I am now completely confused.

I have a Panasonic PTAX100E connected to a PAL PS3.

Here is where I have come unstuck, in looking to get a DVD upscaler I have become confused about resolutions.

The native resolution of the Panny is 1280 x 720. Does this therefore mean it can only project HD to a max standard of 720p?

Because I was under the impression that it can play 1080p. Is it therefore downscaling it to 720p?

sigh I am becoming so lost in this HD minefield of new technobabble.

2. CHFels

CHFels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Followed this over from the Oppo thread. Yes, your projector will only project 1280 columns x 720 lines of pixels. The lower of the two HD resolutions. "It can play 1080p" just means that the PTAX100E has the capability of receiving a 1080p signal and downscaling it to 1280x720. So what? If the image looks good to you, enjoy it! Likewise, if you send it a 576p signal, it will upscale to its native resolution. The question you had on the other thread was: which does the upscaling better, my projector or the Oppo 981? And the answer is: try both and see which one looks better! But Oppo has an excellent reputation for its upscaling abilities, so don't be surprised if the Oppo upscales better. And even if you think your Pana upscales just as well as the Oppo, don't assume that this means you'll get the same results from a cheaper DVD player!

Cheers,
    CHFels

3. AntonioMS

AntonioMS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You are right... if I am enjoying it, which I am... then you know...
    However I am ever so slightly disappointed in misunderstanding it BUT having a quick look at 1080p projectors now, I wouldn't have been able to afford it.
    So I am happy and a bit clearer in my understanding now and once I get paid I will be buying an Oppo.

Thank you.