Pan EX85 Green Screen!

fly-catchers

Standard Member
Hi
While watching the C4 news tonight the picture suddenly went off and was replaced by a green screen with no sound! No channels could be accessed. I went into the hard drive mode to see previous recordings. It appeared briefly but that too changed to the green screen. I switched off the recorder which took longer than usual to click off. On switching back on I got what looked like a corrupted black screen but them thankfully C4 returned and after displaying the "Hello" message longer than usual it is service as normal. Could a break in the Freeview service cause a glitch to the hard drive causing it to freeze or crash like a computer might? Or is this the first signs of system failure? I hope not!

cheers

bill

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi
While watching the C4 news tonight the picture suddenly went off and was replaced by a green screen with no sound! No channels could be accessed. I went into the hard drive mode to see previous recordings. It appeared briefly but that too changed to the green screen. I switched off the recorder which took longer than usual to click off. On switching back on I got what looked like a corrupted black screen but them thankfully C4 returned and after displaying the "Hello" message longer than usual it is service as normal. Could a break in the Freeview service cause a glitch to the hard drive causing it to freeze or crash like a computer might? Or is this the first signs of system failure? I hope not!

cheers

bill
Hi Bill

My guess is that this is nothing more than system corruption [ not in any way connected to the hard disc] ... and hopefully will not re-appear.

It would not do any harm to disconnect from power for 5 or 10 minutes to clear the memory buffers.

It is known that corrupted EPG data can lie around and sometimes cause problems... Corrupted by almost any cause upsetting reception.

Fingers crossed.

fly-catchers

Standard Member
Thanks for that. It was ok last night so hopefully just one of those electronic glitches.
With the guarentee running out soon I was wondering if given this fairly new technology whether an extended guarentee might be worth while? At £59 for another year it does not sound too bad, and while I usually never bother with most equipment DVD recorders might be the exception!

cheers

bill

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom