Pan EX85 and Seamless playback?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fly-catchers, Jan 13, 2008.

1. fly-catchers

fly-catchers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    When I use the seamless playback option on HD recordings I get exactly that between chapters. But I do get a slight pause on the DVD -R disc once I have copied it across using the High Speed mode. In the instructions under the Seamless section I see it lists RAM and DVD -RW (VR) so I am guessing this only works on those particular types of discs?

cheers

bill

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,058
    Hi Bill

Your guess is correct.

Seamless play only applies to RAMs and -RW's in VR mode.... and only when playing / copying Playlists.

Any editing points at chapter boundaries are fractionally moved as required to give clean picture transitions when Seamless play is invoked.

When 'Seamless Play' is Off , the edit boundaries stay where they were made, but a small pause can occur at the transition point, when playing back the Playlist.

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,058
    Hi Bill

Once you burn a playlist as a source to burn a disc, the edits are burned in and will play the same anywhere.
    The 'seamless' issue would be invisible so to speak.

You don't need to combine the chapters before burning.
    The act of creating a Playlist will do this for you at the burning stage.

There is a guide to using Playlists. See post number 50 here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650096&page=4

4. fly-catchers

fly-catchers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

So far when I have burnt DVD's I have used the Advance copy option and created a list of titles. These are indivdual programmes which have already had the adverts removed using chapters which were them deleted. Would I get better results if I created a playlist as you suggested instead?

I notice that if you play a DVD -R through my PC you get both the slight pause and a brief breakup of the picture (pixalated). Also when I have played the disc through another DVD player (Umax) that at the chapter breaks it has a still frame followed by a few more frames one by one ( couple of seconds gap) and them it resumes playing. Is it usual that a burnt disc (at least at the chapter points) will only play smoothly (slight pause) on the machine it was burnt on? I have tried a few other discs I have burnt and they all perform this way. Normally I would only ever watch them on the Panasonic but it would be good if I could get as good a playback as possible when played on other players. Would your playlist suggestion solve this?

cheers

bill

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,058
    For normal everyday copying what you describe above is simple and more than adequate.
    The Playlist facility has value under certain circumstances ... and above all else is a non-destructive form of editing. Whether it is applicable to use it is again circumstantial and personal.
    Sorry - No clear answer there.
    But if you are addressing specifically the issue of chapter boundaries, then yes, it would probably deal with this in a better way.
    Yes - I think so. If you invoke seamless playback also... before burning.

Where you make the edits may be of significance.
    All these issues arise because of MPEG2 encoding... which , at a very simple level , only records full frames every so often and partial detail in the interim.
    If you choose edit point such as the frame the screen goes black before an ad-break [ not always present - I know] you may also get better results.