1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pan E85 crashes in FR dub

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by peck2000, Mar 4, 2005.

1. peck2000

peck2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a good trawl through the forum and seen only brief mention of a problem similar to mine.

I've recorded "Four Horsement of the Apocalypse" (2hrs 27m) to the HD of the Panasonic E85 in SP mode. When I try to dub it to DVD-R, it runs for about thirty seconds then crashes with a message of "BYE" and goes into self-check mode. Incredibly, the DVD-R isn't ruined and I can use it to record a 2 hour or shorter movie.

Even though the machine is supposed to be able to detect when to switch to FR automatically, I've tried setting the Dubbing Mode to FR manually, but I get the same result.

Another poster (can't find the message mow) mentioned that they returned their E85 to Currys for a similar problem and when they got it back, the invoice said that the software had been upgraded.

Sadly I didn't buy my machine from Currys, but from a small shop on Edgware Road and they (I'm sure) bought it from another dealer. You know how these guys work. They don't have the machine on the premises, but if you wait they'll get it sent over from their "other shop". Yeah, right!

I'm loathe to return it to Panasonic (though I have a couple of months warrenty left) as it's multiregion and I'd be gutted if they switched it back to Region 2.

Has anyone had this problem, and how was it solved? Is it possible to upgrade the software yourself?

peck2000, London

2. peck2000

peck2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Turns out this was a media problem. "Teeerex" suggested trying a different brand of DVD-R, which cured the problem. Seems Ritek 8x Yellows don't like dubbing in FR, but Sony 4x don't mind a bit ...

peck2000

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I've had a problem with my 85 doing this also. What I do is work out where the programme stopped and then edit the HDD recording to this point. I then just FR the remainder and then do the rest. Use Ritek A discs. Will be trying Gigtain discs next time to see whether it's the discs or my dvd recorder at fault.

4. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    FWIW,
    I have had the same thing, fiddled for a while then threw the blank disc out and used another one from the same tin and all was okay. I didn't bother trying to analyze what was wrong with the disc but as I have used the same type many times I put it down to the individual disc rather than the make/batch.