Pan E55 v's E65

Moggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm about to buy my 1st DVD recorder and decided to go for the DVD RAM on the Panny's.

Can't make my mind up if it's worth the extra for the E65 over the E55 just to have the DV input (I know there's the card slots too though)

I've been doing a fair bit of converting my VHS tapes to DVD via the PC using Pinnacle 9 and the results have been excellent as have the normal digital footage from my Sony DV cam.

If I was to opt for the E65, what sort of editing functions can I perform on the machine? Transitions and titles etc or just chopping off of duff footage?

Thanks for any advice :thumbsup:

I have the E65, as far as i can see the editing is restricted to removing unwanted footage, and changing the thumbnail image - no transitions or menus or anything like that.......

Thanks for the reply baggers :smashin:

I might as well get the E55 then if there's no real editing you can do.Makes me also wonder if it's worth the extra expense for DVD RAM as the +/- recorders seem a fair bit cheaper but there seem a lot of people happy with the quality of the picture recordings :confused:

moggsy,

The advantage of DVD-RAM (or DVD-RW(VR) on other machines) is not so much the editing but the fact that they support chase play so you can start watching a recording at the front end while it's still being recorded at the other end allowing you to "time slip" viewing.

If you want more advanaced "in machine" editing (rather than on a PC) then perhaps consider an HDD machine. Richer Sounds have the E85 for £299 if you're interested.

Before buying a machine I'd highly recommend visiting the manufacturers .co.uk web site, go to support and then manual download and have a read through the .PDF to make sure the machine does all you want before you splash the cash.

Cliff

Get the E55, I have an E65 (I've had 3 in 3 months actually) and the E65 doesn't like any of the DVD-R's I've used, including Ritek which are the most compatible with Panasonic machines.
Any machine that is only useful with DVD-RAM discs is pretty useless if you ask me.

Before anyone states the obvious, I am in a fight with the store I bought it from to get my money back.

I have an E-65 and it has taken every DVD-R I've through at it, including cheap Datawrite of different dye codes. I find the DV input invaluable especially to get the great picture qulaity from a DV camcorder. If you look around I've seen the E65 going for 199.99-229.99, worth it I think.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom