Pan E100, One Year On, A Few Thoughts

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kevo, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    It's been a year since I purchased my Pan E100 HDD/DVD Recorder (how time flies!) and overall I've been very pleased with it. The quality of recordings it produces has been superb for both off air and VHS transfers.
    The build quality is also excellent and it gets heavy usage and I've never had a problem with it (touches wood!).

However, like most av purchases there are a few features that I miss that get overlooked when worrying too much about the run of the mill stuff like size of HDD, connectivity, prog scan, DVd format, pic quality etc.
    Things you wished you looked out for but will remember next time, although a year ago there wasn't as much choice as there is now.

The following are definatley what I'd look for if and when I upgrade and any new potential buyers of a HDD/DVD Recorder should take note....

(I'm not going to include obvious features like DVB tuner, 5.1 audio recording etc)

Able to manually add own chapter markers to DVD-Rs.

Menu screen that shows chapters/thumbnails and NOT just prog titles on DVD-Rs.

Option to include the 'ws flag' on DVD-Rs.
    (the lack of this on the E100 annoys me more than anything as I always have to use th PC to do it :mad: )

Be able to use other features on the recorder when it's dubbing from HDD > DVD.

Be able to see the passthru RGB signal whilst in Timer mode.

Open/close tray button on the remote.
    (needed more than you might think, although my Pronto can do it now and it's a Godsend!)

Quicker start up time.

I'm sure most of these will be available on some of the current models.

What 'not so obvious' features do you miss from yours?

2. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    A headphone socket......Although as far as I can see there is only one machine that has it, and it's not available in England (Tevion DRW1000).

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    If you're the sort of person who buys a machine that retailed for £1,000, isn't it likely that you also have a home cinema amp with headphone socket? Perhaps why they don't bother to include it on dvd players.

I'm not sure about the Pan 100. But I wish the operation of my Pan 85 was quicker. It takes forever to load when you turn it on off. Plus button commands can't keep up with button presses in my experience. Also, I wish you could transfer dvd's onto the HDD in high speed rather than in real time.

4. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I want one because the TV I have now doesn't have one and I don't have an amp.
    Just because you own a Rolls Royce doesn't mean you live in a palace!

5. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The E100 does let you manually add your own chapter marks as long as you add them to the title on the HDD first and then high speed copy. Presumably you mean it doesn't allow you to add them after the DVD-R has been recorded?

The E100 has thumbnails for titles on DVD-R. Do you mean you wish it had thumbnails for chapters as well?

I agree with your other points though.

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Mainly ithe ability to preserve chapters in FR mode as this is the most common mode I use when dubbing.

Yes thimbnails for chapters or at least text to show chapters.

I remember when I first tried dubbing to DVD-R, I thought the title thumbnail was for the chapter and couldn't understand why it only ever showed one thumbnail :blush:

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    Good points Kevo - I agree with all them bar the 'Eject' button on the remote which is something I have never understood the need for. From my epxeriences with the HS2/E95 I would add:
    - DVD-RW (Video mode) as it's useful to some
    - Undo option (like the Pioneer's)

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    When you're used to it, believe me it's very convenient rather than useful.

The Pan E100 isn't the quickest DVD player/recorder to eject a disc.
    So now I can eject from the armchair and by the time I walk over to the recorder the disc is already ejected rather than having to wait for it to eject whilst bending down. Call me lazy but It just saves that extra few seconds :) :smashin:

Same goes for ejecting video tapes which I can also do with the Pronto and not with the original remote.

9. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    My E-85 has the HDD's navigator list as pages of 12 recordings, rather than a continuous list (like that featured on the earlier models): I hope Panasonic go back to the continuous list as the pages are awkward to navigate.

Agree fully with the loopthrough when the timer's set and the ws flags on DVD-R. I'd also like a cable-compatible EPG and the tuner to be Freeview.

I don't expect to upgrade my machine for a good few years yet, but the Panny's build is impressive and the feature set for a "Mark III" model (HS-2 and the HS-100 being pretty good themselves) is pretty darn good, especially compared to almost everything else out there except the Tosh.

10. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Open tray button on the remote is a definate no-no for me. Its in a cabinet so the kids cant get to it - if they had a remote open button that tray will be banging against the cabinet doors all day long!