Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Directed by Joe Wright (Atonement, Hanna)

Hugh Jackman shows-off his new look in a BTS photo for the character of Blackbeard in a new version of Peter Pan

Amanda Seyfried, Rooney Mara, Garrett Hedlund, Levi Miller (as Peter Pan)

The story of an orphan who is spirited away to the magical Neverland. There, he finds both fun and dangers, and ultimately discovers his destiny -- to become the hero who will be forever known as Peter Pan.

theprestige

Well, this looks uninteresting, doesn't it? I liked Spielberg's some underrated Hook as a child, but this looks like your typical generic extended commercial. Garrett Hedlund as Hook? Really?

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Actually I quite enjoyed it, it's a proper rollicking adventure, it absolutely bounds through the running time and that's probably where it lets itself down, there's just no time for character moments or fleshing anyone (bar Peter of course) out,the story just never gets a chance to breathe. It looks and sounds tremendous though, the sets and effects really floated my boat (pun intended) I'll be picking up the 3D Blu Ray just to oggle it.
Performances were pretty good, although a bit campy and shouty, the guy from Tron felt kinda miscast though but did a decentish job never the less.
I'm sure kids will like it, it plays almost like a live action cartoon, for me it was good but could've been so much more. If you liked Stardust you'll probably get something out of this. 7/10

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Not everyone was so generous. These seem to be the prevailing opinions in all the video reviews I've seen.

The 'prophecy' BS puts me off too. We really ought to have more respect for kids than to keep falling back on that lazy cliché.

Box office hasn't panned out (sorry) as Warner Bros hoped either:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/12/movies/pan-bombs-at-the-box-office.html?_r=0
Generally everything Struckman whines about I thought was good (including the singing) with the exception of him feeling like the film was rushed.
I almost switched off when he started laying into the CGI being fake looking when he said at the start he liked Hook.

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Actually you know what's a lot worse than Pan and Hook, wannabe film critics who post horrendous videos of themselves. Jeremy Jahns belly aches about Garrett Hedlund's OTT performance and its negative Americanisms then precedes to gurn, guffaw and fart words out of his self aggrandising mouth all the way through his patronising video.
Lucas, if you're not a fan of the character,sit this one out as I don't think you'll get much out of it.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I enjoyed the 2003 version and I liked fantasy in general, so its not like I wanted this to fail.

In fact I'm a proponent of live-action fairy tales (I really liked Maleficent, Snow White & The Huntsman and Oz TGAP). I'm always on the lookout for films to watch at home with my daughter. This just sounds like a mess.

Generally everything Struckman whines about I thought was good (including the singing) with the exception of him feeling like the film was rushed.
I almost switched off when he started laying into the CGI being fake looking when he said at the start he liked Hook.
Bit unfair to call him a whiner just because he criticised things you liked. That just means we're all whining whenever we're not impressed with anything. Stuckmann's actually one of the most positive and upbeat reviewers on t'internet, and usually on the money. Jahns is more an acquired taste I grant you :)

Actually you know what's a lot worse than Pan and Hook, wannabe film critics who post horrendous videos of themselves. Jeremy Jahns belly aches about Garrett Hedlund's OTT performance and its negative Americanisms then precedes to gurn, guffaw and fart words out of his self aggrandising mouth all the way through his patronising video.
Me-OWW! :eek:

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
It is whining, which makes their criticism almost entirely invalid. I have no issue with people 'not agreeing' with me, I'm fully aware my opinions of a lot of films do not fall in line with the 'general' consensus.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett