Palmer (Apple TV+) Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I've always held that JT was a good actor.
I think it's just taken a while for casting directors to catch up with me and to start giving him decent parts to play.

The wife and I watched at the weekend and enjoyed it. Definitely small in scale (in a good way), and most characters were well realised and sympathetic (apart from a few who were somewhat single dimensional and only there to force certain plot developments). Defo worth a watch.

I've always held that JT was a good actor.
I think it's just taken a while for casting directors to catch up with me and to start giving him decent parts to play.
I would like to see JT play some sort of super-spy/suave gentleman thief type character. He always gets 'gritty' roles in what feels like a deliberate casting against type, but I reckon he would have the charisma to pull off something a bit more action oriented and fun.

Myself and the Wife watched this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it, becoming emotionally attached to our 2 main characters, i also 2nd or 3rd that JT, given the right material, is a great actor, and he shined in his role here .

Thanks Cas, you’re right, if you hadn’t brought it up, this would have totally bypsssed me!! Will give it a watch this week 👌🏻

Yes watched this as well during the weekend. There was some quite interesting themes explored and how rural America copes with them. As usual with ATV+ sound and vision was excellent. Also a bonus that the channel is gratis - george

Thank you for the review, I noticed this last night and watched the trailer and thought it looked very good, will get around to watching it next weekend hopefully.

Don’t know about ATV+ “quality over quantity”, I haven’t really seen anything on the service I liked at all. Greyhound was just ok, but that’s about all I can think of. Maybe just my tastes, but this doesn’t sound like anything I would like either. For All Mankind was probably closest to “my bag”, but I found it a bit dull and gave up half way through. Glad I didn’t pay for it and won’t be renewing at this rate.

Almost watched it Saturday night, just couldn’t bring myself to.

Almost watched it Saturday night, just couldn’t bring myself to.

What put you off? Were you as disappointed as I was that this wasn't a new Harry Palmer series? Because the reality is that nobody should replace Michael Caine in that role, not even JT.

What put you off? Were you as disappointed as I was that this wasn't a new Harry Palmer series? Because the reality is that nobody should replace Michael Caine in that role, not even JT.
Felt like the most baity of awards baits.

Felt like the most baity of awards baits.

Hah, fair enough. I'm not sure I'd level any awards at it at all, but I'm also glad I didn't go into it expecting it to be bait. I think I had moderate expectations which were pleasantly exceeded, rather than thinking it would be the next Big Thing.

It's just a good film with JT on impressively reserved form. If they gave JT even an Oscar nod it'd be because the only other performance up for consideration was Dave Franco in Six Underground. All six minutes of him.

Interesting.

At some point I'll have to indulge Apple TV for a few months. Normally I only flit between Netflix, Amazon and NowTV, but there's 3 or 4 shows/movies now on it that I think I need to watch.

I watched this at the weekend on the strength of JT and really enjoyed it. Hopefully the positive review will encourage a wider audience to check it out.

For All Mankind was probably closest to “my bag”, but I found it a bit dull and gave up half way through.
I'd recommended persevering. The first half is very dull. But the second half is much much better.

As I said on the other thread, I was disappointed JT wasn't doing a movie length version of Dick in a Box, with...Palmer.

I'd recommended persevering. The first half is very dull. But the second half is much much better.
I agree, glad I stuck with it as ended up loving it, and as per this review and what Cas has said, apple seem well a little bit crap at advertising stuff since For all Mankind S2 is due to drop very soon! And I only saw this by going into it!

This older Justine Timberlake does have a convincing lived in look, this helps most actors doing tough or challenging roles, in my opinion Justine came across as being a bit self absorbed in his early acting career, which is hardly surprising for a former boy band singer looking to expand his career options, now he doesn't have to worry about much at all, he is fully established as a successful multifaceted entertainer/businessman.
I will be checking this film out eventually.

:rolleyes:
AA MC.jpg

Had to read your post twice with my quirky reading skills as I read it as Harry Potter, not Harry Palmer. Whoopsie.

Watched this last night, at first i found it hard going as it seemed to be going nowhere slowly.. but once the narrative of the film began to emerge you could not help but be engrossed in Palmer's initial disdain for the boy turning full circle.👍

Just a solid film. Just the sort of thing to cheer you up during lockdown. Definitely worth a watch.

JT is much better as an artist than singer. Solid drama gets 8/10 from me.

Great film and JT excels, shame he's not given more meaty roles as he would do well. I don't know anything about his music career but acting wise, no complaints from me.

Emotional film and you can't help feel for the kiddo.
The turnaround is the moral of the story.........
Solid 9/10.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom