Palm Springs (Amazon) Movie Review & Comments

crabby09

Wasn't bad... But wasn't great. The cave as a plot device was complete balls and that's basically what ruined it for me.

Last edited:

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Thanks Tom, added this to my list :)

ggwoodland

I watched this yesterday and enjoyed it - I think A 7/10 for me

richp007

Distinguished Member
I just said in the film thread Prime was killing it at the moment, and that's even before I'd seen this thread as well.

Popped onto the list.

VisionMan

Distinguished Member
I've just watched this. For laughter value its a laughometre 10/10. In reality the film is more like a 7.

But whatever the score, I laughed my bollocks off. Well worth a watch.

zantarous

Distinguished Member
This was my second favourite movie of last year, funny, charming and time travel/loop one of my favourite subjects. Both leads have mad chemistry together and could have watched a film twice as long with both of them.

I have seen Boss level too, it is a fun little film with a pretty good premise, I think the thing that stops it from being a good memorable film is the lead actor, he just has no personality or the acting chops to carry a more serious type of film or the comedy chops for the funny bits.

Har-One

Wasn't bad... But wasn't great. The cave as a plot device was complete balls and that's basically what ruined it for me.
I agree there. I had to see it in two sessions. It got me pretty sleepy the first round. I found it a bit insipid overall. It is good for "put the brain to rest" evening.

meagabyte

Watched this last night and found it good. Some parts made us laugh out loud and others just cringed.
Couldn't find this in 4k on A-Prime though so not sure if i missed it.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Being a bit of a party pooper,but I didn't find much to enjoy with this. Neither lead were very appealing, and it just meandered all over the place. it was unnecessarily crude, with the f word plugging the gaps in the script. I've enjoyed most time loop movies so far, but it felt like a big mistep. As a so called rom-com , I barely raised a smile. Map Of The Tiny Perfect Things blows this out of the water.

5/10

Last edited:

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Thanks, always on the lookout for time travel/loop movies not even heard of this one will check it out.
The official AVF review was very positive for that one too. It's currently on Prime. Both the wife and I loved it, unlike Palm Springs which proved a big disappointment.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Being a bit of a party pooper,but I didn't find much to enjoy with this. Neither lead were very appealing, and it just meandered all over the place. it was unnecessarily crude, with the f word plugging the gaps in the script. I've enjoyed most time loop movies so far, but it felt like a big mistep. As a so called rom-com , I barely raised a smile. Map Of The Tiny Perfect Things blows this out of the water.

5/10

I did like it but wouldn’t score it higher than a....7?? I can see where you coming from. It wants to be an irreverent, sort of lackadaisical take on the Groundhog Day formula but ultimately reverts to a certain formula from the “boy meets girl” rom-com tropes. Good but not great.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
I did like it but wouldn’t score it higher than a....7?? I can see where you coming from. It wants to be an irreverent, sort of lackadaisical take on the Groundhog Day formula but ultimately reverts to a certain formula from the “boy meets girl” rom-com tropes. Good but not great.
I did think think that I might have been unfairly harsh, and that it was just down to high expectations, but the wife watched it with me and wasn't a fan at all either. And she normally loves this sort of lightweight stuff! So, I'm sticking with my score, and unfortunately consigning it to the pile of 2021 movie disappointments....

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Thanks, always on the lookout for time travel/loop movies not even heard of this one will check it out.

Have you seen Time After Time (aka Time Freak)? Just wrote some thoughts on it (although I watched last year). It’s pretty good:

VisionMan

Distinguished Member
Watching The Map Of Tiny Perfect Things (which is brilliant, btw) and then reading this forum led me to this film and I thoroughly enjoyed it as a timeslip popcorn film. Its not Shakespeare but it is a lot of fun. A solid 7/10

zantarous

Distinguished Member
Have you seen Time After Time (aka Time Freak)? Just wrote some thoughts on it (although I watched last year). It’s pretty good:

I think I might have this one, not seen it yet though. I might need to have a time loop/travel movie week at this rate.

rustyk21

I watched this the other day and unfortunately it just didn't click for me. There were a few (literally 2 or 3) genuinely funny bits but somehow the whole thing just felt a bit off and left me feeling like it was a bit of a waste of my time.
I liked the characters, but the story felt paper thin and pointless.
I'd only give it a 5/10 max.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 12th May 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Bluesound unveils new generation of Node and Powernode audio players
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim launches Uniti Atom Headphone Edition