Palm sized small broadcast quality camcorder?

apples69

Standard Member
Reaction score
Was going to get the HV40, but been told the new camcorders out there which use AVCHD are much better quality?

can anyone recommed a small palm size or smaller camcorder which offers broadcast quality?

i've looked at the new panny and canon camcorders are these the best?

only ever used hi8 mm tapes before, which is why i wanted the HV40

Was going to get the HV40, but been told the new camcorders out there which use AVCHD are much better quality?

can anyone recommed a small palm size or smaller camcorder which offers broadcast quality?

i've looked at the new panny and canon camcorders are these the best?

only ever used hi8 mm tapes before, which is why i wanted the HV40

Have you used or seen footage from the HV range it is very good my HV30 has the best pq of any hdv cam i have had and is a lot easier to edit than avchd but i use avchd myself now pana GH2 not a cam as such but i consider the footage i get as good as what i see on HD tv,i cant comment on the better consumer HD avchd cams but i expect they are good with less depth of field and low light ability than GH2s,its horses for courses.

,i cant comment on the better consumer HD avchd cams but i expect they are good with less depth of field and low light ability than GH2s,its horses for courses.

I'm being pedantic perhaps but surely camcorders have more depth of field than a DSLR.

I'm being pedantic perhaps but surely camcorders have more depth of field than a DSLR.

Where did the dslr come from :confused:.

afaik a DV40 is a tape based HDV camcorder rather than AVCHD. Depth of field will largely come down to focal length and aperture in comparison between the two camcorders.

Quote the opposite DSLRs have more depth of field.

I don't understand this. A dslr with a 90mm lens at F2 focussed at 2M or so will have a lot less dof than any camcorder. It's hard to get a defocussed background with a camcorder on a portrait shot and dead easy on a dslr where you have the choice of aperture.

Same applies to short focal length compact camera.

Check it out here

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Last edited:

It depends on what you mean by 'Broadcast quality'. Eg, if you want HD, then according to the BBC there is simply no handheld palm-size broadcast quality HD camera.

Is there a particular reason you ask for Broadcast Quality (like, you want to broadcast it), or do you mean just very good quality? :)

Forgot the only other avchd cam i have had the supposedly 17mbps SONY SR12 could not match the HV30 that replaced it, or the far superior GH2 .Regarding depth of field some canon DSLRs dont have large DOF and many love them for this reason saying everything being in focus is too video like :rolleyes:

i mean the best hd quality that is as close to broadcast quality

It depends on what you mean by 'Broadcast quality'. Eg, if you want HD, then according to the BBC there is simply no handheld palm-size broadcast quality HD camera.

Is there a particular reason you ask for Broadcast Quality (like, you want to broadcast it), or do you mean just very good quality? :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom