• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Palm Pre 'can challenge iPhone'

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Palm's make or break new smartphone, called the Pre, has good reviews ahead of its launch in the US on 6 June.
More...

Noggin1980

Distinguished Member
It looks fantastic but how long we will have to wait is anyones guess. Will be interesting to see the iphones new features next week.

I'll be getting whichever is best as my first smartphone. I'd like it to be the pre really because of the real keyboard but I think the new iphone will be here quicker and sway me apples way.

There are plenty of superior rivals to the iPhone already, some out before it existed. Popular doesnt mean good.

The pre does seem pretty good, not overly impressed with its looks though, i prefer a harder edge to my devices, its a bit rounded.

It main problem is its going to be out around the time the N97, HTC magic, Diamond2 and Touch Pro2 also appear. Its got a tough time.

SibTiger33

yes agreed

its a very interesting time at the moment

i think the real deal breaker for all these phones will be the app support.

apparently it is meant to be really easy to create apps for the Pre but only time will tell.

all of the new phones coming out look fantastic

especially that 1ghz toshiba - (no idea when its due - but the specs on that thing are crazy!!)

also i expect LG to greatly improve on the flagship arena - a great phone which in many ways is superior to the iphone but comes with too many bugs]
LG also have a appstore coming.

I realy like the pre - the OS seems fantastic.

also not to forgot the android onslaught last this year.

Motorola and sony both have android phones due

sadly the specs on the motorola seem really poor IMO (seems game over for moto to be honest)

all the google phones need is better looks they would be on for a winner.

note: samsungs 12mega pixel daddy is also due next month....

SibTiger33

something i want to add about the Pre

given that it tricks itunes into thinking its a ipod when you want to sync

i take it Apple plan to release a update to itunes to stop this?

[email protected]

something i want to add about the Pre

given that it tricks itunes into thinking its a ipod when you want to sync

i take it Apple plan to release a update to itunes to stop this?

They already have. iTunes 8.2 won't talk to jailbroken phones or the Palm Pre. Apparently in 8.2 Apple have tweaked the USB interface firmware - though the people who wrote QuickPwn say they don't think it was done deliberately to nobble jailbreakers or the Pre.

Personally I'm surprised Apple has let jailbroken phones be supported by iTunes for so long. Maybe they're not as against jailbreaking as they make out - after all, many of the 'illegitimate' apps pioneer the sort of functionality Apple should be providing anyway...

SibTiger33

They already have. iTunes 8.2 won't talk to jailbroken phones or the Palm Pre. Apparently in 8.2 Apple have tweaked the USB interface firmware - though the people who wrote QuickPwn say they don't think it was done deliberately to nobble jailbreakers or the Pre.

Personally I'm surprised Apple has let jailbroken phones be supported by iTunes for so long. Maybe they're not as against jailbreaking as they make out - after all, many of the 'illegitimate' apps pioneer the sort of functionality Apple should be providing anyway...

cool i expected them to act fast.

folks check out this pre review - the most detailed review so far
and i gotta say the more i see of that os the more i really like it

also it sounds as though the camera is really impressive

there is nothing i hate more than shutter lag on high grade camera phones and it sounds as though the pre suffers from no lag at all.

excellent

Palm Pre review

cdbuk

Standard Member
I'd somehow managed to escape all the news of the Palm Pre but this video from BoingBoing Gadgets piqued my interest: Video: Palm Pre's Touchstone dock's amazing grip | Boing Boing Gadgets

Inductive charging - cool. Whatever fancy technology they're using to make the dock stick to any surface - über cool!

However I'm still in love with my iPhone (the first smartphone I've ever owned) and would find it difficult to switch, even to something as snazzy as the Pre.

donnelly67

Am I the only person who doesn't see the iPhone as a "smartphone"?

It's like the people who come into my shop and say "I'm thinking between a Blackberry and an iPhone..."

I honestly don't believe there is anything like the iPhone. I'm not saying its head and shoulders above everything, you just cant put it into any of the pre-defined categories.

And I dont think anything will get close to the iPhone browser, albeit without the flash facility

Its inability to read and write basic word documents are a big reason for me not labelling it a smartphone, there are some others, but they will be fixed with the 3.0 OS, like copy and paste

Last edited:
Your right it isnt a smartphone, its dumb as hell. For anyone but the most basic user its useless without being jailbroken, which is always under attack from Apple.

Ive said it many times, but the iPhones only advantage is the app store, but its so full of junk (90%) that its not the advantage it could be. I can find better, more powerful apps for Winmo now without an app store, so when winmo gets its store the iPhone becomes obsolete.

Browser? Frankly i prefer Opera anyway, 9.7 is a big step up and way ahead of safari. 9.5 is about level.

donnelly67

I wouldn't call it "dumb as hell" but thats what opinions are for!

The browser coupled with the Multi touch OS, nothing touches that. Use any other touch-screen phone directly after using the iPhone and the difference is massive. Prefer using keys? Thats fine.....

Where Apple have really flourished with this is its ease of setup and use. For less tech-savvy people the iPhone is perfect, it works straight away, no tweaking to get the best performance.

I personally find any handset that runs on a windows OS to be a bag of ****, speaking from my experiences with phones.

After praising the iPhone, yes it can be very frustrating that "simple" actions cannot be done on it, but I would not change it for anything after using it for 18 months

I actually hate the multi touch, and Apple interfaces in general on all platforms. Its why im glad Winmo doesn't have it. Having used both i can accomplish more, faster, with a Winmo device like the Touch HD than the iPhone. I also prefer resistive screens, and the ability to configure the phone any way i choose, not the way Apple wants it to be.

Apple is too controlling in every way. Its controls the interface, what you can run, what you can do, it even tries to enforce its own moral code on you via the app store. No thanks.

donnelly67

I agree 100% on the control aspect.

I dunno, it just seems one of those things about the iPhone is, it's very hard to move away from if you have lived with it for a good while.

I can see Apples appeal, but its not something that appeals to everyone. I actually think its not possible to be a geek and a mac fan. They are diametrically opposed things. By their very nature Apple products are not something you can play with, modify, disassemble, tweak or customise. If your happy with the spoonfed nature of Apple i can se why you'd like them, if you dont want spoon feeding you'd hate them.

Im hoping, once its avaliable, the Pre will be more useable, a best of both worlds between winmo and iPhone. I still wish it wasnt so ugly though.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom