1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Palm and bluetooth and mowblis

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by graham.myers, Feb 24, 2003.

1. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok folks here's my problem....

I've got a palm m505 PDA
    I want to upgrade my mobile phone into this century
    I've got a laptop with usb
    my pda connects to my desktop with a usb cable, although for some reason it wont sync my emails yet :(

I'm considering bluetoothing. I've got some prices for a bluetooth MMC card for the palm. I've got prices for usb/bluetooth connectors.

I assume I need bluetooth capable phone too

I haven't got a phone that'll do this - its a nokia 3210

What tarifs and phones will support what I want to do. I assume I need GPRS but the details for the TDK USB connector says SMS and not MMS.

I could go to carphonewarehouse but I suspect thier eyes may glaze over.

The idea is to connect my palm to the outside world using my new mobile, with some degree of future proofing.

do I need a specific phone - the tdk bundle specifically mentions a couple of sonys (T39, T68, R520H) and the nokia 6210

ideas or suggestions welcomed.

2. fat tom

fat tom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have successfully used a t39 and t68 for GPRS web browsing over Bluetooth via a usb bluetooth adapter to my laptop - haven't got a bluetooth PDA my self but I wouldn't imagine this would be a problem.

you dont need GPRS but I would recommend it but be weary the costs can escalate!!! charges are normally related to bandwidth as opposed to time - which has its pros and cons...

- Fat Tom -

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well I've taken the plunge

I've replaced my (week old) m505 with the latest m550 Tungsten with built in Bluetooth. The wife wanted my m505

I'm wandering into town today to get a Nokia 6310i bluetooth phone.

this afternoon I'll be ordering all my bluetooth goodies of the net

I looked at the combined O2 XDA as it was advertised as bluetooth. no it aint!

4. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great Mobile Graham. I love mine :) If only it had poloyphonic ringtones :(

5. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't too fussed about that. same goes for colour screen and games etc as I can do that on my palm

hopefully they are in stock when I go so I can play this afternoon

6. Sgt.Colon

Sgt.Colon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fingers crossed for you then Graham. :smashin:

Wasn't bothered about the Colour screen or the games either. Just would be nice to hear a tune that doesn't sound like it came from the early days of Windows :laugh:

7. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Something similar, I'm interested in using Bluetooth to network two pcs to share internet and files in dif rooms, can someone explain what I'd need and roughly how much it'd cost please?

8. sharon

sharon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using Bluetooth on my Sony Clie (add-in memeory stick, not standard) for months now with both a Sony-Erricson T68 and a Nokia 7650 and I recommend the Sony... The Nokia's bluetooth implementation has given me nothing but trouble... won't work with my first Bluetooth headset, failed to recognise lots of things from the Clie (such as to do items) and was a real pig to get set up for web browsing...

Go for the t68 if you are going to use bluetooth a lot

Sharon

9. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I got my Nokia 6510i.

woo hoo:D

I thought it was a doddle to set up - maybe they've got better at it.

I've got a jabba BT headset :cool:

Got my Palm talking BT to Orange GPRS and browsed these very forums very:cool:

I'm ordering a PCMCIA BT card for my laptop and maybe a USB for my desktop.

Encaser, Youl'll need 2x USB BT adapters from about £45 each from ebuyer

That should be it really - set up trusted connections (which is what I did between the phone and the Palm) otherwise each time a device tries to connected you have to supply pin nos.

I dont know how a BT network compares to a tru wi-fi tho.

Also bear in mind BT devices can only be a max of 10 meters apart. How much "stuff" is between the devices may effect this distance.

One thing I noticed on my phone is that I can only have one BT connection at a time, so I couldn't use my headset while using my Palm over GPRS. Not much of a problem, but I don't know if thats a BT restriction or a phone restriction.

10. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thanks Graham:) Think a wire solution may prove more solid in more ways than one by the sounds - especially as I have less patience than a man with no patience with computers.